PDA

View Full Version : Leveraging HPDE partnerships – a great idea!

gran racing
04-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I know we have the whole PDX thing, but regions are not using it nearly to the extent it needs to be. I have often felt this is one of the biggest weak spots for SCCA. I recognize there are reasons why these events are not being run more often, many of which I don’t agree with, so this idea sounds like a fantastic solution. What are your thoughts about more regions developing these types of partnerships?

The below represents a portion of a release the Cal Club posted which relates to HPDEs and SCCA. (The Cal Club is one of SCCA’s largest regions, not sure if that matters in respect to this discussion.)

“FIRST we have completed initial negotiations with Speed Ventures. Speed Ventures and the California Sports Car Club have developed a strategic alliance. Speed Ventures is a very successful track day organization which is expanding into “time attack” programs in the very near term. Speed Ventures have been operating for a couple of years and last year did 37 weekend events. They are usually sold out, and on a very cold and very rainy Saturday at the Streets of Willow, I was there and observed they had 50 to 60 cars out running. A very strong showing. The owner of Speed Ventures, Aaron Bitterman, has an excellent reputation as both as a motorsports enthusiast and a businessman. Several of our members have taken advantage of the excellent service and “bang for the buck” that Speed Ventures provides Prior to this date, when one of the Speed Ventures customers expressed a desire to go racing, Speed Ventures would refer to several competing organizations such as NASA, VARA, SCCA, Cal Club, POC, BMW Club and so on. Now as a result of the alliance, Speed Ventures will refer EXCLUSIVELY to Cal Club and thus to the SCCA. Speed Ventures will make a point of that Cal Club is where “real” racing is. Part of this alliance is that we will link our schedules or websites in some reasonable fashion so it’s easy for Cal Club members and Speed Ventures customers to find one another.

Here is what Cal Club is going to do. Speed Ventures is our EXCLUSIVE track day organization. The exclusivity of our relationship means that if someone wants a track day experience we recommend Speed Ventures EXCLUSIVELY. Cal Club will also ask Speed Ventures to help staff our LBGP and Auto Show experiences and or we will provide their information in our booths. We will encourage our Racing, Solo, Rally and Rally X members who wish a Track Experience to use Speed Ventures, just as Speed Ventures, will encourage their customers to consider Solo, Road Rally and RallyX as well as our wheel to wheel racing program.

As Cal Club and Speed Ventures grow, our alliance will grow and look for new opportunities.

I want to thank Club Member and T 1 – Racer Oli Thordarson for it was he that made the initial suggestion that lead directly to this alliance and he has our thanks for bringing this forward.”

shwah
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I have tried for the last few years to spark a dialogue between a local club that does track days and our region. Seems like the experience one has with this type of event, and the experience the other has with a higher level of safety (not to mention access to tracks and dates), would be a great fit.