PDA

View Full Version : Set up records

pballance
04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Ok Zpilots, help me build my set up files for my car/track.

I got nothing, nada, zilch as far as set up logs for my car when I purchased it. I am trying to build records of my set up so I can at least learn from my mistakes and create some starting points for the tracks around the Southeast.

My question, beyond the normal tire pressure, suspension settings (ie camber, toe, corner weight, etc), tire heat cycles etc, what kinds of data do you guys record?

If I am able to put together a decent list of parameters I will put it into a spread sheet and share it with you all.

Paul

JeffYoung
04-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Temperatures -- air, water and oil

Sway bar settings

Hot and cold tire pressures

Spring rates

Lap times obviously

Fuel load

Corner weights if you know them

Ok Zpilots, help me build my set up files for my car/track.

I got nothing, nada, zilch as far as set up logs for my car when I purchased it. I am trying to build records of my set up so I can at least learn from my mistakes and create some starting points for the tracks around the Southeast.

My question, beyond the normal tire pressure, suspension settings (ie camber, toe, corner weight, etc), tire heat cycles etc, what kinds of data do you guys record?

If I am able to put together a decent list of parameters I will put it into a spread sheet and share it with you all.

Paul

lateapex911
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Dig around there are examples out there. Maybe somebody will post theirs here.

Most important, I think, at least for me (I wear the driver, the DAG, the Crew chief, the tow rig driver and the manager hats) is the section for notes. I "debrief" myself, and write down my thoughts after a session. I try to break it down into car thoughts and driver thoughts, but often those are intertwined. nevertheless, it's (I think) a good idea to do it right after the session.

Things like "consistent mid corner push in 1, no matter the line I chose, or the throttle position, but good balance off 1. Always loose on initial lift/turn in 5, sometimes it sees like it really wants to go around. front end goes wide over bumps in 8", or similar. If I gave those to a guy like Lee Grimes, he'd probably give me two adjustments and I'd be golden!

Now, with changes made to reflect those issues, you can go and look at your notes, and the data to see if there are gains made, and if so, how they were made.

JLawton
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
(I wear the driver, the DAG, the Crew chief, the tow rig driver, fire man and the manager hats) .

I AM sorry Jake, I can'r resist!!!

pballance
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Dig around there are examples out there. Maybe somebody will post theirs here.

Things like "consistent mid corner push in 1, no matter the line I chose, or the throttle position, but good balance off 1. Always loose on initial lift/turn in 5, sometimes it sees like it really wants to go around. front end goes wide over bumps in 8", or similar. If I gave those to a guy like Lee Grimes, he'd probably give me two adjustments and I'd be golden!

Now, with changes made to reflect those issues, you can go and look at your notes, and the data to see if there are gains made, and if so, how they were made.

Thats good, keep 'em coming.........

JeffYoung
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Checkout the www.bimmerworld.com (http://www.bimmerworld.com) page. I think they have an excellent setup sheet/notes pdf you can print and use.

CCARVER
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
That is the sheet I use.
Here is a link.
Carver
http://www.bimmerworld.com/techtips/CHASSIS%20SETUP%20SHEET.pdf

pballance
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM
That's a nice sheet. Thanks!

Ron Earp
04-06-2008, 07:14 PM

I don't have much as I just started recording this info last Spring when it was apparent if I wanted to race I'd best be racing a 260Z....

I do have the suspension settings, weight, heat cycles, air temp, carb settings, tire pressures, and on occasion tire temps, as well as general observations about how the car feels etc. I use an hour meter in the car that helps me figure out how long things last, a good investment I think.

I might try those setup sheets that are posted, could be a big help.

I have some notes for Roebling, CMP, and VIR, but you might not want my notes!!!! :blink: Still lots of car sorting on my machine before I'd consider the notes worthwhile, still, you'd be welcome to them.