PDA

View Full Version : 15 ITS Cars at CMP this weekend

JeffYoung
03-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Wowee! Shoudl be fun. Paul, this will be a hell of a baptism of fire for you my friend!

Ron Earp
03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Paul, I look forward to meeting you at CMP, you'll have a great time. If I can help with your Z in any way let me know.

Steve and Byran, you guys bringing the 57 up? I missed seeing it at VIR but I guessed that scheduling and so forth got the best of the race efforts - which happens! Looking forward to seeing you guys down at CMP as well as the rest of the S crew.

R

Scott Nutter
03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey, 13 in IT7! That's a whole VW beetle load of college students where I come from! With 33 in the run group I should be able to find someone to follow around. Be easy on me.

Anyhow I drug the car down from Ohio in the hopes I can get my work done by Friday, at least enough to come play.

I hope to meet some of yins this weekend.

85 no 88 red w/green IT7

pballance
03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
All I can say is that you guys better look out. I will be in your rear view mirrors

As you lap me! :D

Sounds like it is going to be fun this weekend. My only goal is to finish w/o causing any drama and have fun.

benspeed
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
All I can say is that you guys better look out. I will be in your rear view mirrors

As you lap me! :D

Sounds like it is going to be fun this weekend. My only goal is to finish w/o causing any drama and have fun.

That is a great quote on the sig - you got the right attitude, dude!

JeffYoung
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Paul, you'll be fine. CMP is a good track to learn on. Lots of run off, only two trouble spots, much safer (although slower) than Roebling.

By Sunday you will be quite racy I suspect. Zs do pretty well at CMP, watch for Steve P. up front battling KVS's Miata. Just watch those brakes....you may go through a set of pads on Saturday alone...bring spares!

pballance
03-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Paul, you'll be fine. CMP is a good track to learn on. Lots of run off, only two trouble spots, much safer (although slower) than Roebling.

By Sunday you will be quite racy I suspect. Zs do pretty well at CMP, watch for Steve P. up front battling KVS's Miata. Just watch those brakes....you may go through a set of pads on Saturday alone...bring spares!

Spares I got, You have to go fast to use brakes, not sure I fit that category! I have been on track with KVS last fall. He needs to watch his mirrors as well :D:D:D and he has already passed me!

Ron, I look forward to it as well and appreciate the offer. I made need it before the weekend is out. BTW, did you get your breather built? Mine is installed!

BTW what is the electric power situation like in the paddock?

JeffYoung
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Power used to be bad. Only maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the paddock had access ot it, and a breaker would trip frequently and if it happened at night it would not get reset.

It seemed better in Feb. with the improvements, but we were in the covered garage. We will be again. If you need power for something and don't have access, come see us.

When do you plan on getting there on Friday?

pballance
03-26-2008, 02:46 PM
When do you plan on getting there on Friday?

Dunno, A DSR guy and I traveling up together leaving Huntsville early am. Have no idea about the drive time. 8 hours is a guess.

Another guy with us is coming up for the test day. Look for a trailer with "Farrout Racing" on it and a red AMAC DSR. If you are there when he arrives, steer him towards you guys. I plan on paddocking with him and the other DSR so we can all crew for one another.

seckerich
03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Just curious. I was looking at the supps tonight and noticed that the formula cars in group 1 and 2 are getting charged $295 for 2 races and everyone else has to pay $345. What kind of crock is this?? Better be a good explanation or a missprint. Got the email they wanted an extra $50 but didn't notice it was only for a few groups.

jmark
03-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Good luck Paul. I am sorry I can't make the race.

JeffYoung
03-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, saw that. Kinda lame, but not sure what to do about it.....

Just curious. I was looking at the supps tonight and noticed that the formula cars in group 1 and 2 are getting charged $295 for 2 races and everyone else has to pay $345. What kind of crock is this?? Better be a good explanation or a missprint. Got the email they wanted an extra $50 but didn't notice it was only for a few groups.

Ron Earp
03-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Ron, I look forward to it as well and appreciate the offer. I made need it before the weekend is out. BTW, did you get your breather built? Mine is installed!

BTW what is the electric power situation like in the paddock?

Hey Paul,

You'll enjoy CMP, good race track.

I didn't get by breather installed but I was able to make my "shield" legal. Previously I had a shield that kept heat off the carbs and sort of isolated the carbs in the engine bay. However, the shield was sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold, not not legal per letter of the law. Fixed all of that and wrapped my header with heat wrap. Next race I'll have enough time to use those air cleaner pieces and make up a legal setup for cooler air in the carbs. All in good time.

Hope the weather will be nice and looking forward to meeting you.

Ron

Team SSR
03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Anybody running the test day? My car and drivers will be there - I'll be at work. :(

Team SSR
03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Saturday's results are on mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=755794&highlight=6

Looks like Jeff Young had a good run. Parrish DNF'ed - I hope it was nothing serious!

We did OK with our R888's, would've been nice to see what we could've run with a set of Hoosiers

I'm home with a bad back, but got word from the track that it rained during today's (Sunday) qualifying.

JeffYoung
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks, it was a good run yesterday although I had nothing for Kip and Steve (until he broke). Steve broke a rocker arm but had it fixed this a.m.

Rain this a.m. and it didn't look like it was going to stop, so we packed up and headed back.

Team SSR
03-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Sunday's results up on mylaps: http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=757737

Parrish57
03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks, it was a good run yesterday although I had nothing for Kip and Steve (until he broke). Steve broke a rocker arm but had it fixed this a.m.

Rain this a.m. and it didn't look like it was going to stop, so we packed up and headed back.

That was a good call on the rain..... I wish we had bagged it as early as you guys but we tortured ourselves until about 11am before we packed up.

The race results only show about half of the laps run on Sunday. Was it just wet or was there other drama?

Well, the weekend had great potential but wasn't the result We'd hoped for. I had fun running with Kip and Ricky. Maybe next time....

JeffYoung
03-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Yep, would have enjoyed the 2nd place more if you had been out there...but of course probably wouldn't have gotten it! Glad you got the car fixed.

The link is to qual, which explains the fewer lap count. Race was 14 laps, looks like it was in the wet too (Kip won again by a large margin over Harold and Russ).

pballance
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Steve, we had no rain and drying track. It started out wet, REAL wet but by 6 or so laps a dry line was present. Jeff, you had a great run Saturday. Congratulations again!

I puttered around with full tread depth toyos and the squirm was so bad I couldn't tell if there was grip or just tread squirm...even when they sounded off in 14

Botom line, I had a good time on track and meeting the ones of you that I had not already met. Saturday was GREAT and if I can ever learn CMP a little better I might even be close to you guys.

I got signed off Sunday so now to go to work on the car and the driver some more! Thanks for all of the help and support.

Paul

240zdave
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Paul,

Congratulations on your weekend. Again, sorry I was unable to make it. It looks like you bested your best Qualifying lap by a second in the Saturday race. Great results! And escaped the weekend intact, as well. And that satisfies your Novice requirements, too, right? No more X on the bumper.

JeffYoung
03-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Paul ran great. 54s at CMP first time out is damn good, just a second or two back from the bulk of the field (all of whom had experience there). Paul will be closer to the front very quickly looks like to me.

pballance
03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys. I had a blast Saturday. I almost got to the point where I could drive the turn ahead in several parts of the track instead of "survival" mode of driving the turn in front of me. I would like to think that I could go a little faster if my brakes hadn't gone away on me. I was just using them up being new to the track. Oh well, it was great fun and CMP is now on my "A" list of tracks that I want to continue to drive.

Sunday was just a mess. I waffled back and forth all morning about loading or drving. I finally said to heck with it, put on the rains and went out. As the track dried I got a little quicker but being accustomed to the hoosiers the tread and sidewall movement had me freaked. I couldn't figure out if it was lack of grip on track or just tread/sidewall movement. When I started hearing the tires sound off in 14 I realized I had grip. By then the race was over.

The ITR BMW, KVS, and the T-2 350 were hooked up and screaming. It was actually fun to watch as they went by.

Bottom line was I had fun and I don't think I caused any drama. My goals were met!!

Hotshoe
03-31-2008, 09:50 AM
I puttered around with full tread depth toyos and the squirm was so bad I couldn't tell if there was grip or just tread squirm...even when they sounded off in 14

Botom line, I had a good time on track and meeting the ones of you that I had not already met. Saturday was GREAT and if I can ever learn CMP a little better I might even be close to you guys.

Paul

Paul,

... I wish I would have had time to come over and introduce myself. I was sitting right across from you on the grid Sunday but was afraid to get out because of the time it takes to get strapped in with frozen hands ...lol
... You did a great job of driving and I really appreciated the point by / that's real heads up on your part, and goes a long way towards keeping things safe out on track, especially in the rain.
... Hopefully next time we will have a chance to meet.:cool:

... Rickey Thompson

pballance
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Paul,

I was sitting right across from you on the grid Sunday but was afraid to get out because of the time it takes to get strapped in with frozen hands ...lol
... Rickey Thompson

Thanks Rickey. I laughed out loud about the frozen hands. The coldest I got all weekend was sitting on Sundays grid and yeah my hands were frozen as well. I think I finally warmed up when we hit colombia on the tow home. :D

I tried real hard to keep awareness of where everybody was. I knew I was waaaay off the pace but didn't want screw up anybody elses race. You guys were screaming!

lateapex911
03-31-2008, 02:58 PM

Tch tch tch, went home because of a little water?? And you call yourself a British car racer??? :cool:

Paul, you made the 100% right call, stay and run. Get the laps in in all conditions. You have gotten some incredibly important experience under your belt. Lot's of racers get really good at braking at the same marker, turning in and tracking out at the same points and running the same laps at he same track, but fall to bits when they have to figure out a change..whether it's a sick car, a new track, or changing climatic conditions. You'll be a better driver if you allow yourself to experience variety.

JeffYoung
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I call myself a terrible rain racer in a high torque, short wheelbase car with windshield wipers and a defroster that don't work.....lol.....that's a recipe for disaster. Oh, and I don't have rain tires....

I've wrecked the car both times I took it out in the rain. Learned my lesson........

jmark
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Nice job Paul! :happy204:

Tom Donnelly
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Good going Paul!

Like Jeff said, 1:54's your first time at CMP as a novice is excellent.

Tom

Tristan Smith
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Did you guys run the new version of the course, or the old "autocross section"?

JeffYoung
04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
New -- you'll like it I think. It takes the herky jerkiness out of the old section, and is much easier on my brakes anyway. Lap times are about 4-5 seconds faster than before. My best on the "old" course was a 1:56, I was at 1:50 this weekend. KVS ran a 1:46 though........drat.

Is Red White and Blue back together?

Parrish57
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
We ran the new configuration, just as we did for the Feb National/CCPS. It's much more fun to drive. I posted a video from the Feb CCPS. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw

pballance
04-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Steve, thanks for the kind words this weekend. As you said the Z is a handful in the rain, I knew that and went out anyway so I could get signed off. :shrug:

Thanks again to you all. Hopefully I can be a little more competetive next time out when I get some more seat time and suspension in place.

I pick up a complete rear end assembly today from an Ebay purchase $1.00 for a complete 1970 rear assembly! Control arms, brakes, stub axles, half shafts, diff, struts etc. Figured I couldnt go wrong for a buck plus the the guys is delivering!

Tom Donnelly
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
We ran the new configuration, just as we did for the Feb National/CCPS. It's much more fun to drive. I posted a video from the Feb CCPS. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw

Steve,
Thanks for the video posts. CMP has changed since I've been there. It looks like its quicker and more fun. That last turn before the front straight is still touchy. I kept hitting the rumple strips till my wink mirror fell off. No more "herky-jerky" looks much better. What's the track length now?

Tom

JeffYoung
04-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Yes, those rumble strips are still there.

I think track length is nearly identical. Just over 2 miles still. Just faster.

Tristan Smith
04-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey Jeff,

The motor is being put back together now, and then off to body shop for some bondo and paint. I will have it out this year, but it most likely wont be before July. I pity the next fool who hits me! My wife will probably beat them to death!