PDA

View Full Version : Pt ?

IPRESS
03-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Mark, What were those PT classes at the last NASATX race PTC and PTC/LM, PTC/LP?

I watched the races and couldn't tell you what or who was beating who.

Maybe I am wrong, but IMHO they are in need of cutting down on the number of classes some way.

Knestis
03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Anyone who thinks that "dual classification" of IT cars is a good idea, take a look at PT as the logical extension of that kind of thinking. I'm afraid that the PT idea is going to collapse under its own weight - and I've run more than a few of them!

K

RSTPerformance
03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Anyone who thinks that "dual classification" of IT cars is a good idea, take a look at PT as the logical extension of that kind of thinking. I'm afraid that the PT idea is going to collapse under its own weight - and I've run more than a few of them!

K

I am someone that thinks that we do need dual classification... how does this PT thing show us that Dual classification wont work?

Raymond

mbuskuhl
03-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Mark, What were those PT classes at the last NASATX race PTC and PTC/LM, PTC/LP?

I watched the races and couldn't tell you what or who was beating who.

Maybe I am wrong, but IMHO they are in need of cutting down on the number of classes some way.

Mac,

PTC/LM is PTC. NASA TX recognizes them regionally as LM which is Legends Master. LP is Legends Professional. Legend is a type of race car, which I understand they only run the MSRC and Eagles Canyon races. NASA TX caters to the special interest classes such as SRX7 on a regional level because that is what the group wants, but for all real purposes they and all others are PT cars, nothing more and nothing less. There are also some Thunder Roadsters and Allison Legacy's that tend to run more of the complete season.

NASA National recognizes 6 PT race classes, PTA, B, C, D, E, F. In addition to production cars, there are purpose built race cars that NASA specifically recognizes as PT cars as well, those are listed below.

Allison Legacy PTC
Baby Grand PTA
Factory Five Challenge PTA
Legends (all) PTC
Panoz ’97-’99 GTRA PTB
RSR PTB
Spec Racer Ford PTB
Thunder Roadster PTA

You couldn't tell who was beating who unless you watched the start of the race and followed it. With 30 cars on a 1.7 mile track, it doesn't take long for the leaders to start lapping people. This is true with any race.

I don't think 6 PT classes is too much. IT has 5 nationally recognized clases -ITR, S, A, B, C. In addition, there are regionally recognized IT classes E, O, U.

There is no dual classification. Yes a PT car can also run Honda Challenge or something like that, just like SM can run ITA. Most ITS,A,B,C cars would fall into PTC, D, E, F. It's simple, spend 10 minutes with the classification form and you have a class. An ITA car may end up in PTD, as well as an ITS car. It will depend on the level of prep on each, I know ITA cars can and do beat ITS cars.

The IT program, regional cars actually, is not healthy in TX, no need to rehash the why. This is one reason I run NASA and you go out of division to race. There are other reasons why I and others have chosen the PT ruleset, that is what I have re-buillt my car to but I still race it SCCA ITE when the opportunity arises. There is an ex-Speedsource ITS car as well that flipped to PT rules, first with a streetport motor and when that blew and LS2 swap.

I picked up 5 free Hoosiers at the last race weekend thanks to the contingency. That alone makes it worth it for me.