PDA

View Full Version : lightweight tool boxes?

924Guy
03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey all... I suppose this might ultimately end up in the Bargain Shopper section, but for now, I'd like to get more input.

I'm due to replace my dying basic Craftsman toolbox this spring with a decent one - as it's dying under the weight of my tools!

I want to upsize, gain some storage capacity, definitely get ball-bearing drawers (mine's so basic it's got slides).

BUT

I need it light and portable! And this is storage for all my primary-use hand tools in the garage - not a track-only box.

See, I have to lift this into the back of my tow vehicle every race weekend (currently a minivan, but truck, same difference), so it at least needs to break down into manageable sizes that 2 people can easily lift into the back. When it's a massive steel monolith that weighs 75 lbs empty, that's a hard bill to fit!

So far the best candidate seems to be something like the basic 6-drawer top chest, plus the biggest intermediate chest I can find, think it's a 4-drawer, to break up the load.

But I'm wondering if anyone's found any lighter sort of boxes, that are still reasonably sturdy and well-built? This is more of an investment, but not going the Snap-On route. I realize that I'm asking the sky - light, inexpensive, and strong - but there's gotta be another option out there??

CCARVER
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
We have been using a POS from the Depot. Best part is that it is under a bill so you do not feel bad if it falls off the back of the truck. Kobalt or some crap. I spend my money and time on the car and seat time. Hell at the track last weekend the guys next to me did not even bring a torque wrench.
Hope this helps,
Carver

JimLill
03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I bought 3 light plastic ones and split tools up by category amongst them

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SR1RG26PL._AA280_.jpg

lateapex911
03-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Vaughn, I have been in the same situation for years...except I do the lifting at home alone...my top box is over 100 pounds, and that is NOT the fun part of the weekend. Of course, i want stainless too...sigh......

I think someone should come up with a cool CF unit!

tom91ita
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
i don't think there is any such thing as a lightweight toolbox.

the diff between a plastic one and a metal one is not much when you put the 40#'s of tools in it.

so now it is 42# instead of 45#'s.

and the craftsman is failing cause of the weight of the tools, right?

i think the idea of the three smaller boxes makes a fair amount of sense if you have to load/unload all the time,

joeg
03-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Tom is correct. Unless you have a huge enclosed trailer with permanent tool chest provisions, and dedicated tools in it, multiple smaller boxes are the way to proceed and are the only solution.

gran racing
03-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I went throught the same dilema last year. I looked at a lot of the plastic boxes but none of them met what I was looknig for in terms of drawers and functionality. I also knew that trying to lug around a larger heavy metal box would become annoying very quickly. I decided to buy two medium sized metal boxes with one containing all of my sockets and related tools, and the other with screw drivers and other misc. items. It's worked out great both in the garage and at the track! Just a thought for ya.

dave parker
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Vaughn
The only lightweight toolbox I have ever seen is an empty toolbox.
Multiple small boxes is the way unless you have a very strong back.
cheers
Dave Parker
WDCR HP#97
2007 MARRS HP Champion