PDA

View Full Version : Speed Channel !!!

ltblouis
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Why don't they start a NASCAR channel and leave enjoy real racing, I can not understand why they stop the 12 hours Sebring race to broadcast the practice from Bristol.
What a joke !!!!!!!!

racingralph
03-15-2008, 12:42 PM
let the speed channel know how you feel , maybe they will listen !

Team SSR
03-15-2008, 12:56 PM
What channel did you watch Sebring on before Speed channel?

ltblouis
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
We always watched it on Speedvision, did you forget about that channel???

Knestis
03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry but this is one of the most tiresome racing board topics in the world. Let's see - you're a network executive and you can either:

1) Go broke broadcasting races that some teensy, weensy bit of the viewing public thinks are really cool, or...

2) Make a bundle of money from advertisers.

Duh.

KK

ltblouis
03-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Sorry for opening an old boring tiresome subjet, all I was doing is expressing my opinion.
I regret posting that message.
Sorry guys !!!! forgive me!!!
Please moderator delete the post before it gets out of control as usual l!!!!.

Andy Bettencourt
03-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Pretend it was like an ad inbetween the start and teh finish. It's back on.

Knestis
03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, my issue is NOT with you Louis - it's with the topic. No worries. :)

We just have to accept that we are a minority in our game.

K

ltblouis
03-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I know my friend it is not personal and it is an old issue, but like Andy said earlier it was like an long ad.
and I am enjoying it again watching now.

:D:D

RacerBill
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
We can hope that someone will tune in a road race while surfing for NASCAR, see something like Sebring, and say "Hey, that looks cool!"

planet6racing
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Based on the number of spectators that seemed to be at the race (judging by the overhead shots from the helicopter), it would appear that sports car racing is starting to make a comeback in this country. Keep telling your friends about it and, eventually, there won't be a NASCAR channel, just an All Things Racing channel.

dj10
03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Based on the number of spectators that seemed to be at the race (judging by the overhead shots from the helicopter), it would appear that sports car racing is starting to make a comeback in this country. Keep telling your friends about it and, eventually, there won't be a NASCAR channel, just an All Things Racing channel.

THERE IS A NASCAR CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!?????????????

nip_mr2
03-18-2008, 07:14 AM
[quote=planet6racing;261811]Based on the number of spectators that seemed to be at the race (judging by the overhead shots from the helicopter).

I was at the race in 2006. Some of the spectator go just to party, show there car/trucks or just drive around the infield. I got curious and asked some people what they thought of the race that was going on at the present time. 3 out of 5 said that they where semi interested in the race but would rather walk around looking at the show cars and checking out the party spots. The 2 where moving from corner to corner to watch the race. They where there for the racing.

I know it is not an accurate poll. But I was surprised by my finding and what goes on in the ZOO during the 3 days that I was there.

I will go back again. I suggest if you get the chance you should experiance it for yourself. Great time.

Wreckerboy
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
We need to stop calling it "NASCAR" and find a name that more accurately reflects what it has become. How about "WWF With Sheetmetal"? Not catchy, I agree. Okay, how about "Days Of Our (Racing) Lives"?

planet6racing
03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
How about we not turn this into yet another NASCAR bashing thread. Despite what we all think, they have the best "racing" on television (most passes for lead, things constantly changing). F1 this weekend was good, but could easily have turned into yet another F1 grid parade.

x-ring
03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
"WWF With Sheetmetal"

:026:

dickita15
03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
If I remember right in around 1973 or so Sebring was cancelled due to the gas crisis. 5000 people showed up anyway so management open the gates and let them come in for a party.

Daryl
03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I prefer "NASCRAP"....and NO, I absolutely don't believe it is the best racing on television.

Alas, if more people agreed with me it wouldn't be so popular....

Z3_GoCar
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
"WWF With Sheetmetal"

:026:

Boogity... Boogity... Boogity... Boys Let's Go Racing :eclipsee_steering:

You should have seen the American Stockcar Racing guys were out with us last weekend.... in the rain! On Saturday's wet track the Hardee's Olds #45 came in third!

What's really sad is that the tallent level of NASCAR is much better than in professional road-racing. Can't buy your way into a team like with endurance racing. They'll litterally sell a seat on the team to some Mr. Money-bags. Then Mr. money bags goes out and tears the car up, classic.

James

MarkosMotorsports
03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Can we really complain? They cover the first 2 hours or so, break for an hour or so for Cup practice, and then come back for what 8 hours of live coverage? Speed is still the best channel that I get...

iambhooper
03-20-2008, 05:37 AM
Speedvision became Speed Channel... the predecessor was much better in terms of program for our interest. Unfortunatly, "the Channel" is located in the heart of NECKAR country, right here in Charlotte. So I doube they will ever blow up on the roundy round.

We just need to wait out the cycle. 60's, 70's and early 80's Indycar was the king, with NECKAR playing 2nd fiddle. they were probably dead even in terms of marketing and interest until CART decided to go public and Tony George blew the whole thing up. Give it time and maybe things will swing back towrds open wheel.

As for Road Racing on a national scale... I think what you saw last weekend is about as good as it will ever get. Remember, the only reason we have fond memories of Can AM, F5000, and F1 from our youth was ABC's Wide World of Sports would squeeze it in on their sunday show. To this day, I still have a memory of seeing the Chaparel Vacuum car racing on TV... didn't that get band after it's first or second race?

henryj63
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
I disagree with the comment on talent level in nascar. Since the only way to guage competiton is too see them together you have to look at the busch race in Quebec where Ron Fellows and other road racers put on a clinic.:happy204:

Nascar seems to be losing popularity even the most simple minded fans get tired of the roundy round.:blink:

Speed channel is great, I agree less Nascar but as pointed out commercial sales dictate. But at least get rid of Unique whips whats up with that dog? That should be moved to 3am when the true fans are watching anyway.:eek:

Tristan Smith
03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
FOX bought Speedvision and moved it to Charlotte specifically to be closer to Nascar. It also gives Fox the ability to cross-promote the brands. At it's inception even Speedvision showed content other than sports car racing/racing/auto related programming. Originally they also had programming on boats/boating and flying/planes as well. So pick your poison. At least Nascar is racing.

x-ring
03-20-2008, 02:01 PM
FOX bought Speedvision and moved it to Charlotte specifically to be closer to Nascar. It also gives Fox the ability to cross-promote the brands. At it's inception even Speedvision showed content other than sports car racing/racing/auto related programming. Originally they also had programming on boats/boating and flying/planes as well. So pick your poison. At least Nascar is racing.
I liked watching the Reno air races better than watchin' Trackside at Hicksville.

Lowriders? Excuse me? I'd rather watch a test pattern.

AntonioGG
03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Anyone watch the RedBull Air Races on RushHD? I think some of the new HD channels will be the alternative to SpeedTV...I'm hoping one of them will cover WRC and other alternative racing (was it me or did we miss BTCC this winter?). I did get to see the Formula BMW series on one of the channels, I think World Sports Channel IIRC.

Z3_GoCar
03-21-2008, 11:30 AM
"Pinks" makes me want to barff. It's such a Drag, I don't know why it's called racing. There's not even a left turn in the whole show. "Barrett Jackson" Why would I want to watch some liqured up over-rich guys get hosed on automobile investing? "Setup" Has some potential, if the Producer doesn't get in the way. Laura Olsen's a local national SM driver, several of the other guys are BMWCCA club racers, and then there's TK.

But all in all Sebring will be on in half an hour.

James

vr6guy
03-22-2008, 02:32 AM
not to be pro or con.... but wasnt there a nF1, and a top IRL driver that switched over to nascar to only be midpackers? weird!?

just something to think about

bring the ruckus

lateapex911
03-22-2008, 10:30 AM
"Setup" Has some potential, if the Producer doesn't get in the way. Laura Olsen's a local national SM driver, several of the other guys are BMWCCA club racers, and then there's TK.

But all in all Sebring will be on in half an hour.

James

She's not exactly looking at the sharp end of the grid, even in this mixed bunch. She's hanging on, at best.

Daryl
03-23-2008, 01:28 AM
not to be pro or con.... but wasnt there a nF1, and a top IRL driver that switched over to nascar to only be midpackers? weird!?

just something to think about

....and if we all started racing swamp buggies, some would adjust quicker than others. But even one of the fastest here isn't going to beat bubba, the three time swamp buggy champion right off the trailer.

Granted a NASCRAP car isn't exactly a swamp buggy, but it is about as close to a F1 car as it is a swamp buggy. Different horse on a different course.