PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Jetti TDI Cup

mazda49
03-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Has anyone heard of anyone participating in this series? They were suppose to notify those who are invited to the tryouts this week. I heard they are inviting 100-130 kids 16-24 to Phoenix the first week in April to decide the 30 who make the series. The only catch being the $35,000 you have to pay VW to race. Who actually thinks they will come up with 30 18-24 year olds with decent road racing talent and that kind of money in such short notice?

shwah
03-14-2008, 05:44 AM
I think the age thing will make it hard to find enough drivers that have significant wheel to wheel experience. This will increase the chance of a crash fest at each event.

Too bad, as I would not be surprised to see VW reduce motorsports support after the series flops....

Knestis
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
The whole concept - including the $35K tab - has been out for months so it's not such short notice. What IS short is the timeline between the "selection process" and the first race at VIR at the end of April. I've been around for a long time (approaching 2x too old for the series, maybe I can enter two cars?) and am pretty jaded but the only good news there is that the section process is pretty much waiting for the check to clear. :)

THAT SAID the money isn't bad at all for what the series is, although bodywork is going to add up.

K

wsmith
03-14-2008, 10:03 AM
35,000 up front, 7500 per race crash clause which gets raised if you use it up. 8 race schedule, part of which was tied into the former Champ Car schedule, who knows about those. Driver are not allowed to participate in any other races, tests or driving schools in the US, Canada, Mexico or abroad other than go-karts. At a time when most young drivers are trying to drive anything they can get their hands on, that is pretty limiting and a fairly large drawback as far as getting young drivers involved.

rabbidmk1
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
I got an official email today!!!! Looks like I am going to firebird raceway on April 3-6th to try out!

Wish Me Luck guys!!!!!

theman631
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Scramble for the first $15k has begun.

Jimmy :eek:

CHennecy85
03-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I just got the invite e-mail last night as well. The scramble for the first $15,000 is definitely on. Hopefully I'll see you guys at Firebird Raceway on April 3rd. I'm sure the series will be a blast. Hopefully they have a tv package lined up.

RSTPerformance
03-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Good Luck, don't forget to somehow get your it.com stickers into the camera view and don't forget about us IT'ers :)

Good Luck, keep it safe!!!

Raumond

rabbidmk1
03-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Good Luck, don't forget to somehow get your it.com stickers into the camera view :)

Good Luck, keep it safe!!!

Raumond

Well I don't think that will be at all possible since we are only allowed two sponsors. I doubt IT.com wants or has the ability to give 15-20K for a camera shot...:lol:

RSTPerformance
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Well I don't think that will be at all possible since we are only allowed two sponsors. I doubt IT.com wants or has the ability to give 15-20K for a camera shot...:lol:

You will just need to thank IT.com during the interview on the championship podium :smilie_pokal: !!!

rabbidmk1
03-17-2008, 09:17 AM
I can do that!:D

lateapex911
03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
So, Aaron, what are the details?
You go try out. What's that cost? How many will be there?
Then, if you make it, you hand over a check? For 35k? Does that check cover it all? or do you pay for getting to and the expenses of the race weekend? They supply the car and a crew to set it up?
And if you crash, you pay? Is there any "jury" that decides fault?
The TV package? up in the air?

What are your goals? What do you hope to get out of this? Finally, how old are you?

rabbidmk1
03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Jake,

The first $15k is due by March 28th to VWoA. Tryouts are free except I have to cover all travel and lodging. VWoA sent out 100 invitations for the cup, they are going to take 30 drivers and an additional 10 backup candidates.

If/when:D I make it, the second installment of 20K is due to VWoA by the 21st of April. This covers all of my entry fees, fuel, tires, car transportation and maintenance. I have to pay for all lodging and travel expenses. Similar to Skip Barber's series, there is a liability of up to $7500 per crash if the damage is less than $7500. Once you do more than $7500 in damage the liability goes up incrementally. (10k then 12.5K).

I do not know any information about the TV package but can only hope that there is one to help secure another potential sponsor.

Finally, I am 24 years old. I have been racing ITB ever since I graduated from Skip Barber race school in early 2001. Prior to that I auto crossed for 3 years. Currently I hold the track record at Road America and am .04 seconds off of the new record at Black Hawk Farms.

I have had a career in mind for the past 3 years and am hoping that this will open a door to that dream. If this does not pan out, I plan on running ITB this season, then make the move to SSB or F-Production, meanwhile raise the one race, $7500-$8500 buy-in for the Bildon GAC GTI.

I won't let you fellow IT'ers down

Davis
03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
As a member of the AZ Region of SCCA I want to welcome Aaron and all drivers and participants to the Phoenix area. A number of AZ Region drivers and workers will be assisting with your trials on the 6th. We all wish you success and hope you enjoy your stay in AZ.

It is my understanding that the trials will be using the West Course. Below is a link to the track maps at Firebird. http://www.firebirdraceway.com....html (http://www.firebirdraceway.com....html)

Long term forcast looks good with daytime temps in the mid to upper 80's. Start hydrating now. Rain not expected until Sunday PM.

racer_tim
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Here is a list of the 30 drivers:

Chad Brassfield, 20, Phoenix, Ariz.
Caleb Kenney, 22, Berkeley, Calif.
Gary Williams Jr., 26, Dana Point, Calif.
Ryan Buetzer, 25, Long Beach, Calif.
Evan Pflock, 20, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Andy Lee, 25, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Jimmy Underhill, 21, Denver, Colo.
Taylor Broekemeier, 21, Fort Collins, Colo.
Josh Hurley, 23, Cooper City, Fla.
Mark Pombo, 25, Duluth, Ga.
Timmy Megenbier, 16, Melrose Park, Ill.
Nick Mancuso, 21, Mettawa, Ill.
Adam Love, 21, Normal, Ill.
David Richert, 25, Niverville, MB, Canada
Chris Castagna, 22, S. Boston, Mass.
Michael DeNino, 18, Gaithersburg, Md.
Chris Kuenning, 20, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Noah Arundel, 27, Tonka Bay, Minn.
John Shim, 22, Starkville, Miss.
Adam Crepin, 20, St. Louis, Mo.
Jake Dallenbach, 18, Charlotte, N.C.
Adam Kretschmer, 21, Brampton, ON, Canada
Andrew Cordeiro, 24, Woodbridge, ON, Canada
Chris Holman, 20, Burlington, ON, Canada
James Kirkham, 23, Beaverton, Ore.
Derek Jones, 24, Philadelphia, Penn.
David Jurca, 22, Federal Way, Wash.
Liam Kenney, 16, Sterling, Va.
Juan Pablo Sierra Lendle, 23, Puebla, Mexico
Wyatt Dallenbach, 16, San Antonio, Texas

rabbidmk1
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I just got back on Monday afternoon from the tryouts. I made the top 35 and am now considered an alternate driver for the series. This was an amazing experience with a ton of talented drivers. The Jetta is a blast to drive. It has lots of torque and handles like a dream. Now it is hurry up and wait for myself to see if someone cant make it to the series.

Aaron:):)