PDA

View Full Version : fiat 850 spider

ScotMac
03-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi all, my brother is racing a 850 spider in historics and conf (ICSCC) in the n/w, and he wants to come down to race at least one race in california. However, i have yet to find a *single* class where a fiat 850 spider is legal. Used to be legal in h-prod (2005?), but that appears to be gone.

-Scot :confused::confused::confused:

JoshS
03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
It could run in ITE in group 1 in SFR, Scot.

Don't laugh. Group 1 has plenty of very slow cars. Obviously it won't win ITE, but it would be legal if it's on DOT tires, and might not even be the slowest car on the track.

Greg Amy
03-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Uuuhh, what's a "Fiat"....?

J/K... ;)

JeffYoung
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM
At a vintage event or SCCA? Lots of 850s run Vintage at VIR due to the fact that Pete Krause is local and he built/worked on them. SVRA, HSR, VDCA, all run at vIR and all would welcome the car.

iambhooper
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Fiat's are awesome! Sometimes I miss the X1/9! I don't miss racing on 3 cylinders and blown head gaskets, but I miss the car and the sound. ;)

ScotMac
03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
At a vintage event or SCCA? Lots of 850s run Vintage at VIR due to the fact that Pete Krause is local and he built/worked on them. SVRA, HSR, VDCA, all run at vIR and all would welcome the car.

Right, vintage would be easy for the 850. Only problem is we were looking to both race...preferably SCCA.

Thanks Josh, yes ITE is a possibility. They had 8 cars over 1:50 at the last laguna regional, and 5 over 1:55 (in fact, that would be a better group for my Fiero!!!). But, the Fiat would still have to pass IT based tech...just doesn't have to be on a spec line, right? That could be difficult. The car has a pretty extreme cam, weber dcnf carb, PBS Eng intake manifold, and Marelli-Plex ignition. Think SFR tech would cut us some slack, and just focus on the safety alone, since the car would obviously not be competitive, and is 39 years old?

ScotMac
03-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Wow...i didn't realize ITE was soo wide open. Exactly what i want...just safety. SFR ITE rules:

ITE – Improved Touring E
The only IT rules that apply to ITE are those listed below.
1. Any tub chassis production vehicle running with DOT tires.
2. Preparation Rules: International Sedans may modify the floor pan/rocker panel sections.
3. Cars must meet or exceed the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations.

Z3_GoCar
03-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Right, vintage would be easy for the 850. Only problem is we were looking to both race...preferably SCCA.

Thanks Josh, yes ITE is a possibility. They had 8 cars over 1:50 at the last laguna regional, and 5 over 1:55 (in fact, that would be a better group for my Fiero!!!). But, the Fiat would still have to pass IT based tech...just doesn't have to be on a spec line, right? That could be difficult. The car has a pretty extreme cam, weber dcnf carb, PBS Eng intake manifold, and Marelli-Plex ignition. Think SFR tech would cut us some slack, and just focus on the safety alone, since the car would obviously not be competitive, and is 39 years old?

What Josh left out is that SFR actually has a vintage race series of sorts,

April 12-13th at Laguna-Seca and Sept20-21st at Infineon. ITE has no rules other than DOT tires and IT safety equiptment, other than that it's all open. That's why I want out of ITE, there's always something bigger and faster.

James

lateapex911
03-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Right, but it sounds like they just want to run together at the same event. I get the impression the the Fiat driver wants to run a Clai track, be there with his brother, and cares not about a trophy, but would like to not get in everyones way.

Sounds like ITE could work nicely, depending on the group that shows up that day, and the laps they run.

JohnRW
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
A friend in college had an 850 Spider, and we generally referred to it as a "Boss 850", just to annoy the Mustang guys.

1stGenBoy
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Uuuhh, what's a "Fiat"....?

J/K... ;)

Easy there Greg! :D I co drive a Fiat 128 in vintage enduros ( 200 mile enduros with pit stops and driver changes) and we are undefeated the last 3 years in our class. How about this. 1190cc and 151hp. Not too bad. Check out the back page of the 2008 Pegasus catalog for a picture of the mighty "Fiatski" with me driving.

Bob Clark
2006 and 2007 SCCA GTL National Champions Crew Chief
SCCA IT advisorary Committee

ScotMac
03-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Right, but it sounds like they just want to run together at the same event. I get the impression the the Fiat driver wants to run a Clai track, be there with his brother, and cares not about a trophy, but would like to not get in everyones way.

Sounds like ITE could work nicely, depending on the group that shows up that day, and the laps they run.

You got it exactly Jake. And yes, ITE should work for us. We might also try to schedule it around a historic event the week before or after, to optimize their time down here. Thanks for all the help...especially that one from GA!! ;-)