PDA

View Full Version : April NHIS School/Regional

Greg Amy
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
OK, smack talkin' time.

First, a question: anyone know the run group order for Sunday, maybe a general schedule? I'm trying to figure out if we can get an arrive-and-drive ITA guy out of BOS or MHT Sunday night, or if he has the schedule Monday AM.

Now...

Who, what, when, where, how? Who's gonna win? Who's gonna suck? Who's gonna stay home on the couch...?

RSTPerformance
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
I will probably be enjoying some nice spring skiing :) or I will get roped into stewarding :) ...

Raymond

rhygin
03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
I am doing the school and the race if everything goes to plan...
Black Betty is about to live!!!

Ok... kinda dorky, but after all the work... i had to do the name...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11428346@N03/2327619327/

lateapex911
03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Judging from your pictures, even if it snows for the school, you'll be there!

ronin12
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
anyone running IT-7 going to be up there? If so any idea where you might be parked. Looking to get into the class(I believe) and looking for info and stuff.
I will be up there flagging if that counts for anything, so everyone behave and bring some hot cocoa

raffaelli
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I will be at the school! :eclipsee_steering:

When does registration open? Can I do it online or do I need to call someone or can I just pay when I get there?

Greg Amy
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
When does registration open?
Don't know "when", but here's "how". Not available yet, but get yourself an account and details all setup for when it is; someone will let us know on this thread when we see it available. - GA

http://www.nescca.com/registration/

dickita15
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
anyone running IT-7 going to be up there? If so any idea where you might be parked. Looking to get into the class(I believe) and looking for info and stuff.
I will be up there flagging if that counts for anything, so everyone behave and bring some hot cocoa
Ron, there will be three or four of us there. Grant, Dave, Mike and myself. We are usually in the grass in the south but with the weather being unpredictable and working the school we make go for the north garage area for this one. Make sure you stop by.

rhygin
03-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Jake,
NICE!!!

A totally tolerant wife would be priceless. Unfortunately I had some experience with a marginally tolerant wife!

See you there...
BB

nlevine
03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
OK, smack talkin' time.
Now...

Who, what, when, where, how? Who's gonna win? Who's gonna suck? Who's gonna stay home on the couch...?

I'm going to try to be there to race. I won't win, but I'm hoping not to suck too badly..

Time to get off the couch and get the car together..

-noam

gran racing
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I got a nice new couch delivered just the other weekend, so am now enjoying Top Gear on DVR. Hey, you did say sit on the couch or NHIS, right? I'm planning on going up there to watch what damage Crazy Joe might create.

Andy Bettencourt
03-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm planning on going up there to watch what damage Crazy Joe might create.

:lol::lol::lol:

dominojd
03-13-2008, 06:34 AM
I got a nice new couch delivered just the other weekend, so am now enjoying Top Gear on DVR. Hey, you did say sit on the couch or NHIS, right? I'm planning on going up there to watch what damage Crazy Joe might create.

The only damage you might see is me beating Andy's rear bumper off. :D:D:D

Killed two wiseasses with one stone. Damn I'm getting good. :)

I am not going to committ to all the NArrc races this year, so who is gonna finish 2nd in ITA this year?

JLawton
03-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm going to try to be there to race. I won't win, but I'm hoping not to suck too badly..

-noam

Come on Noam, you just need to race more than twice a year!!! :D

Rob's showing that the BMWs can run with the dogs!! But ITA is going to be tough AGAIN this year. It is amazing how the top times have dropped so much in the last coupe of years.

I am just about out of my mind waiting for this season to start!! We'll be up there Wednesday night, North side of the North garages. Hopefully Joe won't hit me before I get the car off the trailer.

Dave, if your coming up anyhow, just throw the car on the trailer. I know that you can't drive rovals but the only way you'll get better is practice, practice practice!!! :p

dominojd
03-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Hopefully Joe won't hit me before I get the car off the trailer.

Coming to the tech day? It may just happen sooner than you think. :p

wepsbee
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
We will have 2 cars for the School and at least one of them for the race.

Magical Trevor
03-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Flagging Sunday...

Andy Bettencourt
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Set-up test Thursday AM
Hoosier vs. Hankook tire test Thursday PM
Payment accepted for results of tire test Thursday after dinner :)
Support for renters at Fri-Sat school
Regional Sunday in ITA

Jeremy Billiel
03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
What ever happened to DocBro? I have not seen him on here in a long time!

Tkczecheredflag
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
What ever happened to DocBro? I have not seen him on here in a long time!
I heard Doc Bro was in Australia doing the ARMC Series. Something about voluteering his time to provide dental care to the Aboriginies. I heard he was doing very very well.

The AMRC is an affordable national motor racing series, featuring a wide range of outstanding categories, catering for cars from production-based sedans right through to full-on, flat-out open wheelers.

The AMRC takes in circuits across the Eastern Seaboard, traveling to New South Wales (Wakefield Park), Victoria (Calder Park, Winton Raceway), Queensland (Queensland Raceway) and South Australia (Adelaide International Raceway).

Andy Bettencourt
03-13-2008, 08:47 PM
I heard Doc Bro was in Australia doing the ARMC Series. Something about voluteering his time to provide dental care to the Aboriginies. I heard he was doing very very well.

The AMRC is an affordable national motor racing series, featuring a wide range of outstanding categories, catering for cars from production-based sedans right through to full-on, flat-out open wheelers.

The AMRC takes in circuits across the Eastern Seaboard, traveling to New South Wales (Wakefield Park), Victoria (Calder Park, Winton Raceway), Queensland (Queensland Raceway) and South Australia (Adelaide International Raceway).

OR.....

He is just real busy with a Jeep project he took up for his lovely bride. :)

We know Tim is ready to race when the BS starts flyin'!

Tkczecheredflag
03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
OR.....

He is just real busy with a Jeep project he took up for his lovely bride. :)

We know Tim is ready to race when the BS starts flyin'!

Come on Champ - you gotta have a little fun - Right?

Not quite - but we're gettin close "partner" ;)- Then it will be time to put our spurs on.

Andy Bettencourt
03-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Come on Champ - you gotta have a little fun - Right?

Not quite - but we're gettin close "partner" ;)- Then it will be time to put our spurs on.

Get some spurs for that Laser you are building!!!

1 month to go until Crazy Joe takes out 1/2 the field at the start!!!!!!

Tkczecheredflag
03-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Protege AB - I coming over to the dark side and going back to "C".

Be nice to Joe now. It's still his birthday month - Happy Birthday Joe!

raffaelli
03-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Any idea what the fee for the school will be?

lateapex911
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Another straight answer from Timmah!

How's the Eclipse build going Tim? Who's doing that one for you? Or am i leaking a skunkworks secret?

dominojd
03-16-2008, 04:41 PM

That's kninda hard to do starting on the front row. :shrug:

raffaelli
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
What is an SRF Cost?

gran racing
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
It's a compliance fee spec racer ford drivers need to pay. Ignore it.

Tkczecheredflag
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Another straight answer from Timmah!

How's the Eclipse build going Tim? Who's doing that one for you? Or am i leaking a skunkworks secret?
Jake - Just got back from testing this morning.
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/12314-1990-Mitsubishi-Eclipse.jpg (http://www.dragtimes.com/1990-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Pictures-12314.html)

Andy Bettencourt
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
You are a mess. :)

lateapex911
03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Jake - Just got back from testing this morning.
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/12314-1990-Mitsubishi-Eclipse.jpg (http://www.dragtimes.com/1990-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Pictures-12314.html)

Dork! Those wheels aint legal, and by the way, turbochargers are going to be an issue in impound! Just sayin'-

Joe, with Timmah blowing through the field in his blown Eclipse, I certainly can see you getting all tangled...the front row means nothing!

JLawton
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Registration is open!!!!!

Looks like I won THAT race!!! ;)

Andy Bettencourt
03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Crap! Gonna be that kinda year!!! :)

Greg Amy
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Looks like I won THAT race!!! ;)
Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to find you've been hitting the "refresh" button since early February...

Tkczecheredflag
03-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Dork! Those wheels aint legal, and by the way, turbochargers are going to be an issue in impound! Just sayin'-

Joe, with Timmah blowing through the field in his blown Eclipse, I certainly can see you getting all tangled...the front row means nothing!
Are you sure that's a problem in ITE? - I thought I was okay there. This was actually at a "striip"

raffaelli
03-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Please confirm I am understanding what I am reading:
Assume I pass the requirements of the drivers school. I am awarded a Novice Permit. I have 24 months to successfully complete two regional events. I am then awarded a Regional License. Then to maintain, I have to successfully complete in 2 Regional events in every 12 months thereafter.
Yes?

BTW, when I was poking around registration this morning, the links for NHIS are not working or I would have been first!:eclipsee_steering:

dominojd
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM

I'll give Timmah the turbo handicap. ;)

Greg Amy
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Slight correction: you apply and receive a Novice Permit *in advance* of the school, which gives you the right/ability to enter a driver's school. Successful completion of two driver's schools (or a waiver after one, pretty rare without any prior wheel-to-wheel experience) allows you to enter Regional races. After two Regional race signoffs you can apply for the Regional license, then two races per year to retain it.

If you do not yet have your Novice Permit, giddy-up! You don't have a whole lotta time to get that done before the NHMS school. - GA

jimalley
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Quick question for those with a better working knowledge of regisration procedures. How late in the day can I register and still race?

My daughter is getting married on Saturday, but with the late race group for ITA, I hope my understanding wite won't mind if I try to get the first race in.

Andy Bettencourt
03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Jim,

The Regional race is Sunday only. Pre-register on-line and show up Sunday morning!

lateapex911
03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Jim- let me get this straight...your daughter is getting married that weekend, and you're going to blow out of the wedding to race? Good luck with that!

I suggest, (for the sake of family unity and happiness, of course,) that you stay through the entire wedding and (most important) the reception, and that you enjoy the fruits of your labors (ie, the alcohol) and THEN come to race the next morning...and I'm told that a hangover helps you focus, so don't worry one little bit about drinking a tad too much...

:birra:

jimalley
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Clarification! The wedding and reception are Saturday afternoon which means that we will want to stay in boston Saturday night. What I should have asked is can I skip the qualifing in the morning, sign in at mid day and still run the race (group 8)?

Andy Bettencourt
03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Sure - but since it's group 8, you could show up at 11:00am and still make qual!

RSTPerformance
03-18-2008, 09:10 PM
wont registration close mid morning?

Andy Bettencourt
03-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I am sure we can make it work if he wants to!

dickita15
03-19-2008, 05:08 AM
If there is any question about your arrival time call the registrar listed, I think it is Karen Paul, explain the situation and arrange a way to get in late. If you really can’t qualify call the chief steward ahead as well.
If you are testing on Thursday tell him that as well, it will make him more comfortable with the idea of racing without qualifying.

raffaelli
03-24-2008, 04:21 PM
What is the prefered hotel? I have stayed in the Days Inn several times while in Pemebrook racing radio controlled cars.

Andy Bettencourt
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Most people stay at the Red Roof in Loudon.

lateapex911
03-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Red Roof is down the road maybe a mile or two...fills up though, so get your reservation in...

JLawton
03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Red Roof is down the road maybe a mile or two...fills up though, so get your reservation in...

I'm glad you drive better than your distance estimates!!!

I think it's more like 12 miles. But it is the closest. And fills up fast.

Andy Bettencourt
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I think you are both crazy. 6-8 miles. :)

RSTPerformance
03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
and the winner is... 7.6 miles 11 minutes (at the speed limit) 5 minutes in an ITA car ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=1122+Route+106+North+loudon+NH&daddr=2+Staniels+Rd+Loudon+NH&sll=43.306693,-71.467438&sspn=0.205863,0.449753&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11

Raymond

raffaelli
03-25-2008, 08:57 AM

reserved at the Red Roof. Says its 5 miles....

lateapex911
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm glad you drive better than your distance estimates!!!

Hey- when you've just yanked the trailer from your back driveway with a helicopter, loaded the truck three times and driven your stuff to load in the trailer to the street three times, started (after having to flush the bad gas out of the tank, or whatever the problem is THIS time, LOL) and driven the car out on the street to the trailer, been visited by the police because of the excessive noise/smoke/or visual assault on the neighbors, (and promised to never do it again) in 40 degree rain, THEN jumped on I-95 in Friday night rush hour, and towed four plus hours, YOU'D think it was closer too!

raffaelli
03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
I was just browsing the NASA forums and found mention that the SCCA provisional license is not valid outside my region. My home region is New York 23. Am I heading into troubled waters?

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21240&view=unread#unread (http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21240&view=unread)

Greg Amy
03-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I was just browsing the NASA forums and found mention that the SCCA provisional license is not valid outside my region.
Didn't read the link, but I don't have to: they don't know what in the hell they're talking about.

SCCA Novice Permits are valid nationwide. - GA

gran racing
03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I couldn't resist reading the link & replying.

raffaelli
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I spoke to Pat Travers last night about the school application. Very friendly and helpful.

Ed Funk
03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
:DYeah, great lady!!:happy204:

Greg Amy
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Soooooo....who's idea was it to go racing in early April in New Hampshire...?

Andy Bettencourt
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Word from the track yesterday is that the event is still on and they are going to work on proactive snow removal, not just 'see if it melts'.

Good news.

Jeremy Billiel
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Word from the track yesterday is that the event is still on and they are going to work on proactive snow removal, not just 'see if it melts'.

Good news.

Word has it that there will be no parking on the grass, but they will be removing the snow from the parking lots just outside of the tunnel.

The garages will be very popular this weekend

WillM
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I was hoping to crew for a friend during the school and run on Sunday. Looks like neither are happening. Friend isn't attending the school, and I have "plans" on Sunday.

COMSCC is running at NHMS on the Mon-Tue of the school week. Word on the street is that there is still considerable snow on the track, and that the south garages suffered some roof cave-in. The track is working diligently to clear the snow from the track. We'll know tomorrow if the event is go/no-go.

Anyone looking for some seat time at NHMS, WGI, Mosport, Tremblant, Calabogie, etc., with not-your-average type of car club, COMSCC.ORG goes highly recommended. Lots of SCCA guys there already.

Anyway, my goal was to shake out the car with COM and run the SCCA event. Thought I'd spread the love.

raffaelli
03-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I have always pictured doing the schools at LRP since that is the track I am most familiar with. I have never been to NHIS. I seem to be getting a bit uptight about not knowing the track. Should I be uptight about it or should I take my skirt off and put my pants back on?

Would I be allowed on the track on Thursday?

Andy Bettencourt
03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I have always pictured doing the schools at LRP since that is the track I am most familiar with. I have never been to NHIS. I seem to be getting a bit uptight about not knowing the track. Should I be uptight about it or should I take my skirt off and put my pants back on?

No worries. You can do the test day on Thursday as an SCCA member but remember, this is a 2-day school. SO much track time. The first session is a 'follow-around' so you will be all set.

Greg Amy
03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Actually, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND against your attending the Thursday test day. Several good reasons:

1) You're new. You will be dropped into groups with drivers that aren't, and who have testing purposes there, and expect everyone around them to be reasonably experienced. This is not an HPDE-point-by-let's-go-figure-out-how-to-drive day, it's a go-fast-and-get-the-car-dialed-in-for-the-race day. Bluntly put, new drivers/students will flat-out be in the way.

2) You don't know the track. See #3.

3) You're new and you don't know the track; why would you want to go out there and flop around, and possibly (probably) learn things incorrectly, which you're going to have to un-learn the next day?

4) You NEED to save your car/tires/gas/money/attitude/mindset for two WHOLE days of CONSTANT driving, WITH people properly showing you the way around.

Trust me, you WILL get more than enough track time during the school (as much as 6-7 hours of direct track time ), and you WILL be ready to go home after lunch on the second day. I know: I'm going to be an on-track instructor, plus I'm doing the test day, and *I* will be ready to call it quits during the school.

I encourage you to show up, hang out, and learn. But I STRONGLY discourage any school participant to enter the track day.

Greg

dickita15
03-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Don’t worry, be happy.
The school environment is the perfect way to learn a track. Actually there is an advantage because you don’t have unlearn stuff you thing you know. After drive arounds in vans the first on track session is at about 5/10ths following on track instructors.
Now if you want to hear about the wrong way to do it I will tell you about going to the Glen for my first race there. I had been there as a flagger about 20 years earlier. It a pretty good two beer story.

dickita15
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with Greg here. Unless you are uncertain about something on the car that you need to test be a spectator on Thursday.

Andy Bettencourt
03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Actually, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND against your attending the Thursday test day. Several good reasons:

1) You're new. You will be dropped into groups with drivers that aren't, and who have testing purposes there, and expect everyone around them to be reasonably experienced. This is not an HPDE-point-by-let's-go-figure-out-how-to-drive day, it's a go-fast-and-get-the-car-dialed-in-for-the-race day. Bluntly put, new drivers/students will flat-out be in the way.

2) You don't know the track. See #3.

3) You're new and you don't know the track; why would you want to go out there and flop around, and possibly (probably) learn things incorrectly, which you're going to have to un-learn the next day?

4) You NEED to save your car/tires/gas/money/attitude/mindset for two WHOLE days of CONSTANT driving, WITH people properly showing you the way around.

Trust me, you WILL get more than enough track time during the school (as much as 6-7 hours of direct track time ), and you WILL be ready to go home after lunch on the second day. I know: I'm going to be an on-track instructor, plus I'm doing the test day, and *I* will be ready to call it quits during the school.

I encourage you to show up, hang out, and learn. But I STRONGLY discourage any school participant to enter the track day.

Greg
I am still in 'kinder and gentler' mode from our new FT responses... :)

I agree with Greg's sentiments.

dpc
03-28-2008, 10:10 AM
We just woke up to 4-5 ins of snow here. 1 hr north of Albany NY. dave--Dick I will look for 2 beers I too have a sad but true WCI story.

dpc
03-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Correction-- WGI story

Greg Amy
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
COMSCC is running at NHMS on the Mon-Tue of the school week. Word on the street is that there is still considerable snow on the track...
This doesn't bode well; "GeorgeTheFierce" just posted the following on RR-AX. Any confirmation?

"...for the second year in a row, our opening event has been cancelled... Apparently NHMS has about 4 feet of snow in the oval and will not be ready for the April 7th/8th opening event..."

GA

lateapex911
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Don’t worry, be happy.
s.
Now if you want to hear about the wrong way to do it I will tell you about going to the Glen for my first race there. I had been there as a flagger about 20 years earlier. It a pretty good two beer story.

Sounds like Dick is fishing for a few free beers!

:happy204::birra:

Andy Bettencourt
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
This doesn't bode well; "GeorgeTheFierce" just posted the following on RR-AX. Any confirmation?

"...for the second year in a row, our opening event has been cancelled... Apparently NHMS has about 4 feet of snow in the oval and will not be ready for the April 7th/8th opening event..."

GA

We have confirmed that the SCCA event is NOT cancelled (yet) - just the COM event. They will do some proactive snow removal from what I understand.

JLawton
03-28-2008, 03:57 PM

EVERYBODY gets a little nervous going to a new track. You'll probably surprise yourself. But I would look up videos on Youtube. I would spend a few hours watching. Although not as good as driving it, it will give you an idea of where the track goes.

I couldn't find any video rom the current ITA record holder, but there is some out there. I would also watch race video, not HPDE stuff. It will be a little closer to what you are going to experience.

As Greg said, come up and watch. Anybody will be willing to talk about driving NHIS.

gran racing
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

Just remember you're there for a school and it's not a race. While learning the basic lines, remember to stay focused on flags (they will be thown including a red flag) & corner stations, and your surroundings. You'll do just fine and this will be a fantastic way for you to learn the track.

JLawton
03-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

Just remember you're there for a school and it's not a race. While learning the basic lines, remember to stay focused on flags (they will be thown including a red flag) & corner stations, and your surroundings. You'll do just fine and this will be a fantastic way for you to learn the track.

That's a good point.

You WILL see at least two red flags over the weekend. If you blow off both of them, plan on going to another school. You'll see at least one black flag, one slow moving vehicle on track and MANY yellow flags.

Don't miss the class room sessions to work on your car. Nothing pisses of an instructor more than a student not showing up for class. It makes them look bad!!

And watch for instructors out on the track. They WILL be messin' with you. Execept for one roll over, the worst contact I have seen is between student and instructor. The instructors turn into dumb asses when they get out on the track. :)

dominojd
03-30-2008, 10:29 AM
[quote=gran racing;262734]Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

quote]

Will this work Dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZkVQs-TYo

raffaelli
03-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Ah, spectate it is.

How do I rent a garage?

Greg Amy
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
How do I rent a garage?
You call the main administrative office:

(603) 783-4744

...and ask for "Wanda". Make your request with her (assuming there's any garages left). They're $175 per overhead door, which accommodates two vehicles easily (with benches and power). - GA

raffaelli
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks Greg. Anyone want to split one?

Andy Bettencourt
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Call the track and tell them you want to rent a garage and you will be transfered to the right person.

JLawton
04-01-2008, 06:52 AM
[quote=gran racing;262734]Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

quote]

Will this work Dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZkVQs-TYo

Or this one.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WetL_yhIcto

Are you starting to see a theme???

here's a good one. Tim drives one of the best lines I've seen.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1971946480467514493&hl=en

:)

dpc
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
So, how is the snow. We lost a lot here today. dave

Greg Amy
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
So, how is the snow. We lost a lot here today. dave
I'm hearing that the track still says it's "on." The only direct report I've seen came across our NER Club Racing mailing list late this afternoon:
I rolled by NHIS (I'll change it to NHMS later in the season) about 7:30 this morning to see what was left on the track. I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good. With a little over a week before the school there was still about 4 - 6" of snow covering the track and infield. If we sit and pray REALLY hard for 60+ degree weather every day, we still have a shot of having a clean track.

Sooo..... :shrug:

dickita15
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Alan Dunklee said Pat Travers said Betty said they may use the jet dryers.
How is that for reliable intel

lateapex911
04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
lets say the track is snow free....due to plowing, melt off or dryers, or a combination of all three.
Will the event run if there is melt runoff crossing the track in certain places?
Will the event run if the areas surrounding (runoff, etc.) the track are snow covered?
will the event run if the entire grass paddock is snowbound?

Are there provisions to paddock those who normally utilize the grass elsewhere?

Just curious.

RSTPerformance
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Someone told me they rented a bobcat with a snow blower attachment and were trying to clear the track.... The only question I would have would be will we run with snowbanks? Personally I think the track would be safer :)

Jake... melt runoff is no different than the downpour runoffs we get in turn 10 is it? We fit how many cars in the ARRC paddock... I don't see the padock as a problem, or it shouldn't be IMO.

Raymond "My driveway is almoast all melted off!!!" Blethen

ed325its
04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
NER has run the April event with snow bank still around the track after plowing it the week before. I don't know if it is safer but any off track excursion will lead to significant damage. Ask me how I know.

Andy Bettencourt
04-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Ask me how I know.

How do you know?

:p

raffaelli
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
showers on Friday....

7racing
04-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I remember some years ago we ran with snow banks on driver's left entering turn three. Not sure I'd want to go sideways into that block of ice, but it was there, nonetheless.

Same with the infield....well, maybe it was just mud from all the snow melt. We could paddock anywhere that wasn't suppose to have grass on it. I think it will be crampted, but OK anyway.

4"-6" on the track? That's not so bad. It is less than I expected at this point. Snow/rain is in the forecast for this weekend (Friday, April 4, I think). It should be mostly rain, so that will help some. Not sure what the long range temperature forecast is for the week.

I think it will be OK, though (I've said that since February).

ed325its
04-03-2008, 07:15 PM
7racing,

That was probably the same weekend I referred to. During the Thursday test day I was forced drivers left at the entry to turn 3 and put two wheels off. The ice encrusted snowbank grabbed the left front wheel and bent the lower control arm. The wheel was 30 degrees tow out.

First day of the new season and I was already making repairs.

lateapex911
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, THIS looks ugly...hoping it's more rain than snow...

8:13 AM, 04 04 08

wepsbee
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
No garages, half are under repair, other half taken, good idea though for next time

raffaelli
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
A co-student and I will be sharing a garage. I think he said he reserved the last one (12A). Is there a place I can leave the trailer at the track or will I be shuffling it back and forth from the hotel. I assume I can leave the car in the garage?

Weather looks good for Friday and Saturday!:happy204:

Greg Amy
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
With a garage you have truck/trailer parking just outside your garage door. You'll understand once you get there and see it.

For everyone else, I suggest we'll need to be cooperative, and likely park open trailer someplace outside the oval. - GA

dickita15
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Yea I just called for a garage and I am next on the waiting list.
With the parking the way it will be with no grass I would suggest even those with garages and open trailers put the trailers outside the oval for Sunday.

Andy Bettencourt
04-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder how much money I can get for the 1/2 space I have available...

:024:

Greg Amy
04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder how much money I can get for the 1/2 space I have available...
Don't you need both halves for your helmet...?

(grin, duck, run like hell...)

Jeremy Billiel
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Don't you need both halves for your helmet...?

Man I am going to miss the playful banter next weekend!

Andy Bettencourt
04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

:happy204:

raffaelli
04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Bidding on my garage starts Thursday at 3.:006:

(the winning bid will probably include a sign off!):emgift:

ner88
04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Raffaelli
Check you garage number??? I have 12A reserved for the season:shrug:

raffaelli
04-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Raffaelli
Check you garage number??? I have 12A reserved for the season:shrug:

LOL, guess you will be first in line at the auction.......I'll check. ThoughtI was told 12A. Could be wrong.

rhygin
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I will be taking the ultimate cheapskate route... parking outside... sleeping in the truck. Should be...uh... interesting and likely sucky.

Anyway... I am under about 5 guns right now to get a job, get the car done, and be a FT dad right now. When will there be a firm go or no-go decision for the test day, school, and race (possibly)? I can here the "well, dude, it depends" responses already, but are there any guidelines or anything in light of which i can plan or plan to be aware?

Hopefully see y'all in a few days.

JLawton
04-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Man I am going to miss the playful banter next weekend!

playfull???

I will be taking the ultimate cheapskate route... parking outside... sleeping in the truck. Should be...uh... interesting and likely sucky.

Anyway... I am under about 5 guns right now to get a job, get the car done, and be a FT dad right now. When will there be a firm go or no-go decision for the test day, school, and race (possibly)? I can here the "well, dude, it depends" responses already, but are there any guidelines or anything in light of which i can plan or plan to be aware?

Hopefully see y'all in a few days.

Unless somthing extreme happens, it'll be a go. Hey, fathehood and jobs are over rated anyhow!! ;)

raffaelli
04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
I just learned that my garage mate cannot attend. Please drop me a note or call if you are interested in splitting the garagw and cost with me. or see me thursday afternoon garage 12 blue/yellow crx.

JLawton
04-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I just wanted to drp a quick update. We have added a great group of people to the ITA ranks. Great attitudes and got faster every session. I can't wait to race with them!!

good job guys!!

Details to follow......

raffaelli
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
WOW!!!!!I had a great time. NER did a great job. Tons of track time. Ecery question was answered. Every situation was explained.Jeff was my instructor. His input during the weekend was very valuable. Thanks! Everyone else the helped me out made everything so simple...even with those nutty rain tires I used.I think turn 3 and 12 are my favorite.So with the help of everyone on this board over the last 18 months or so I was able to driverto a sucessful sign off after my first school in a car I built. What a great feeling that is...Looking forward to next time.

lateapex911
04-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Congratulations! I knew you'd be fine!

JLawton
04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Congratulations! I knew you'd be fine!

Chris did more than fine. Even with shitty tires in the rain, he kept his head, drove with in the limits and then kicked ass when he got back onto the drys. I was very impressed!! And, a super nice guy on top of that!!!

Great job Chris!!

itracer
04-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Just don't follow Jeff's advice on hood pins.

Sorry Jeff.

raffaelli
04-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks fellas. I still have a stupid grin on my face...just like I did the first session after we went back to the dry tires. This past weekend was a huge moment in the history of me.:smilie_pokal:

I did 3 session on those ‘wet’ tires and you can’t see ANY wear on them!:eek: In fact, the pressures stayed exactly the same (front right up 1 psi)

I will get some video posted. The borrowed camera in the car gave me problems all weekend. The JVC hard drive did not appreciate the vibration my CRX was offering. When we went to recording to the SD card, the field of view was cut down from 100% of the windshield to about 60% of the windshield. Better than nothing!

Andy Bettencourt
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Good to meet you Chris! The car looks as good in person as it does on the web...

wepsbee
04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I had a great time at the school. I would like to thank everyone that worked and directed this event. I learned a considerable amount and feel that given 10 or 12 years and a few million in car parts I can also become competitive. Seriously, Jeff, Matt and Greg ( and others) were very patient and helpful during this school and I would specifically like to thank them for their help. The school really proved to help the attitude in that after awhile you start to feel that you can really do this. Of course on Sunday at the first real race you are quickly brought back to the reality that you have a "long" way to go. I still had a blast and will continue to improve while trying to stay out of the way until I gain some more track time and experience. So again " Thanks to all the instructors and track workers for their help".

Doc Bro
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Dan,

Keep doin' what you're doin'- you're going to do great.

R

raffaelli
04-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I had a great time at the school. I would like to thank everyone that worked and directed this event. I learned a considerable amount and feel that given 10 or 12 years and a few million in car parts I can also become competitive. Seriously, Jeff, Matt and Greg ( and others) were very patient and helpful during this school and I would specifically like to thank them for their help. The school really proved to help the attitude in that after awhile you start to feel that you can really do this. Of course on Sunday at the first real race you are quickly brought back to the reality that you have a "long" way to go. I still had a blast and will continue to improve while trying to stay out of the way until I gain some more track time and experience. So again " Thanks to all the instructors and track workers for their help".

Blue escort? If so, shoot me your email. I have some photos and video for you!

JLawton
04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Dan,

Keep doin' what you're doin'- you're going to do great.

R

I second that Dan. All you need now is seat time. You have a great attitude and the rest will come. Also, pass on to your sister how impressed I was with her. Considering she had never been in a race car before, considering she was battling an ill handling car AND had to drive in the rain, she did a hell of a job!! It takes a lot of guts to do that.

One of the reasons I had such a good time in this school was becasue of the great attitudes and enthusiasm!! I had a blast too!!

Yes, being in that first race situation can be scarey (trust me, we've all been there). Nothing like having a couple of the leaders who are hammering on each other come up on you. Yes, they will try to make silly passes and use you as a pick. As I said during the schools though, you don't have to worry about the regulars in ITA. Good group of guys.

Magical Trevor
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
This was a good one, definitely.
Everyone seemed to make it through the weather-and the school-ok, and Sunday had some good races. I think SSM and ITA are tied for best to watch. My brain was a little cold to follow all the races, but I remember Richie winning in his 'Teg (no more making fun of the color of his car-though there's still his huge hauler!), and Maynard owning in DP. Beran Peter had quite an "oops" moment involving the inside frontstretch wall and cold tires. Joe dominated ITA (and lapped the first car with a namesake crazy pass in turn 2), but had #44 Miata (Brandon Bogart?) close behind (and alongside every time through 3), with Andy finally overtaking Shane H. for third on the penultimate lap (what's wrong with the 09?). Dick Patullo got to practice his emergency handling skills when slight contact got him spinning about halfway through heading into 3. Jeff scared people when his hood flew open after flooring it for the group's morning practice-that thing sounded like a bomb!
As far as students, I couldn't even tell there were any out there! Everything was smoooth...

Thanks for the worker goodies too, Mr. Bettencourt.

wepsbee
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Well I found out what the problem was with the car. All the whining I did over the weekend was caused by a broken rack and pinion. When the car is up on the rack you can grab one wheel and rock both back and forth very easily, no resistance at all. So replace this and try again, this time going around corners might be a bit smoother, I hope. Is it possible to have one of the veterans take my car for a ride at a track day or is that not an OK thing to ask.

gran racing
04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Dan,
That's a great way to learn more about your car, get feedback about potential ways it could be improved or your driving might be adjusted.

Feel like going to the Glen for SCDA's April 28/29th HPDE? Both Jake Gulick and I will be there instructing and would be happy to help out. (www.scda1.com)

wepsbee
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Just checked out the SCDA website and that looks like a plan! I will check schedules and firm this up. Thanks

wepsbee
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I have spoken with Ian Prout and I have registered for the event on Apr 28th. The check is in the mail. Hope to see you there. Should I try and remount my passenger seat??

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2008, 11:50 AM
If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.

Harness and seat...

gran racing
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
You're going for both days, right? :D

Should I try and remount my passenger seat??

Yes!!!

If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.

That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.

I'll shoot you a PM. (On edit) or maybe not. The ability to send you a PM or e-mail is turned off. Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] .

wepsbee
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I have just an OEM seat. I will try and mount both a new set of racing belts and the OEM belts.

wepsbee
04-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry, Only 1 day

robits325is
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
We are planning on going on Monday too. 5 cars. Our crew guys are getting to drive so they are very excited.

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.

We are talking about a RACECAR here right? Sorry man...from SCDA's website:

How do I prepare my car before an event?
Before attending an SCDA event, it is each student's responsibility to ensure that his or her vehicle is up to the added challenges of track driving. First of all, all loose items should be removed from the automobile, take time to clean out the trunk, and empty the car completely. Fluids should all be checked prior to an event. Specifically, make sure that your oil is fresh, as is your brake fluid. Old brake fluid will appear brown or even black in color. This is not acceptable. Brake fluid should be fresh and golden in color. If at all in question, have your mechanic bleed your brakes, and have him check the thickness of your brake pads as well. Both passenger and driver side seatbelts should be fully functional and the same restraint system must be used for both driver and passenger. Tires should be inspected closely, and air pressure should be set to the appropriate amount before the car goes on the track. Furthermore, cars with body rot or rust will NOT be permitted to participate. The SCDA reserves the right to inspect any car for any reason at any point of an event. Having your mechanic check over your automobile before the event is strongly encouraged.

I am pretty sure that the seat is considered part of the restraint system. If not, you at least have to match the belts.

robits325is
04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree with Andy - you need matching equipment for both driver and passenger.

dj10
04-16-2008, 04:02 PM
What was the Richard Hunter driving in ITR and why was he DQ'ed?

cwall21
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I thought I recalled talking to an SCDA person about the 2nd seat being optional for experienced drivers? Or did I read it somewhere? Or am I smoking something???:shrug:

Chris

Greg Amy
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
What was the Richard Hunter driving in ITR and why was he DQ'ed?

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23839&page=2

See bottom of page 2...

gran racing
04-16-2008, 04:11 PM
"Should be" Andy. I know you're trying to be helpful and ensure Dan doesn't run into issues. Whether someone is allowed to do this is a judgement call, typically made by the instructor who decides to (or against) riding in the passenger seat. If I weren't the one volunteering to jump in his car or offering up Jake's life, LOL, then I would tell him to contact Ian to get his approval. Anyone other than Dan and for this Glen event shouldn't make the assumption that it would be okay.

Dan, I'll be speaking with Ian today or tomorrow about some other stuff and will give him a heads-up.

dj10
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23839&page=2

See bottom of page 2...
Thanks Greg. My questions are, why didn't he run in ITE? If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that? hmm, what was he thinking?:shrug: After seeing mylaps.com times, this guy could have won ITE with the time he was turning and have been legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
"Should be" Andy. I know you're trying to be helpful and ensure Dan doesn't run into issues. Whether someone is allowed to do this is a judgement call, typically made by the instructor who decides to (or against) riding in the passenger seat. If I weren't the one volunteering to jump in his car or offering up Jake's life, LOL, then I would tell him to contact Ian to get his approval. Anyone other than Dan and for this Glen event shouldn't make the assumption that it would be okay.

Dan, I'll be speaking with Ian today or tomorrow about some other stuff and will give him a heads-up.

Dave,

Under your logic the passenger seat fuctionality is 'optional'. So is removing all the loose items. Come on. It's a bad read on poor wording. Reading the context of Ian's ruleset is important here.

Anyone who jumps into a stock seat and stock belts inside a full-prep racecar with the driver in a SCCA-approved seat with back brace and 5 point belts and a 8-point cage gets what they deserve IMHO. Ain't no way I would do that in a million years. If you want to, go for it. I know most of the people who instruct at SCDA days won't even consider it, hence the 'rule'.

If you want more options than Dave as an instructor at an SCDA event, match your passenger and driver equipment.

What may pass for an individual is not the accepted rule. Let's be safe and not sorry.

itracer
04-16-2008, 05:25 PM
If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that?

Actions by the Chief Steward fall under the following:

7.4. AUTOMATIC PENALTIES
B. Penalties imposed by the Chief Steward shall not incur automatic penalty points. In the event that the Chief Steward’s action is protested and the protest is disallowed, thus upholding the Chief Steward’s action, the Stewards of the Meet may assign penalty points as listed above.

If you protest their action and loose, you may be assigned points, etc.

dickita15
04-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks Greg. My questions are, why didn't he run in ITE? If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that? hmm, what was he thinking?:shrug: After seeing mylaps.com times, this guy could have won ITE with the time he was turning and have been legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO
So you are asking why Ritchie made some less than ideal decisions. I love the guy but have you ever met him.:D

gran racing
04-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Deleted post as it has nothing to do with the NHIS school regional. Besides, I can call Andy names offline. :)

Andy Bettencourt
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Do what you want man. You read it one way, I read it another. Having supported the events more than 20 times over the past 2 years, I can assure you that I am not 'speculating' as to what most instructors demand as minimums.

For wepsbee, don't be surprised if there aren't many people who will ride with you if you don't put at least a 5 point harness in there.

And I read your post - I debated with you your definition of the word 'should'. Guess you missed that.

Let's agree to disagree and try and err on the side of what will probably happen instead of what might happen - for the noobs sake.

dominojd
04-16-2008, 07:09 PM
So you are asking why Ritchie made some less than ideal decisions. I love the guy but have you ever met him.:D

So what are you saying Dick? :shrug: :D

wepsbee
04-17-2008, 09:00 AM
I have ordered and will be installing a new 5 point harness. I will however only have a stock OEM seat installed with OEM belts. I do not want to put anyone at risk"ever". If this is not safe, we will not do it!!!!!

Andy Bettencourt
04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Official response from Ian on SCDA equipment:

Belts - whatever the drivers side has the passenger side MUST have.

Seats - whatever the drivers side has it is highly suggested that the passenger side has. This is what most instructors require. It IS however, up to the individual instructor WRT to the seat. If no instructors will ride due to non-matching seat specs, then 'lead - follow' instruction will be required.

In summation for a race car with 5 point belts - stock belts NOT acceptable on passenger side. Stock seat ACCEPTABLE on individual instuctor basis but not recommended.

wepsbee
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Andy,
thanks for the info, 5 point harness due tomorrow, I will try and get a new seat but that might be tough. If not I can live with lead/follow as any instruction is better than none.

lateapex911
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
You know, I have to ask....and i'm sure I'll get shouted down as being stupid, but...

Why is it so important to have equal restraints? Why do guys gat all up tight about it?

I mean, instructors (me) get in street cars with lowered suspensions, hotted up motors with 4 or 500 hp, and we go around the track with guys who have next to zero track experience, who we don't know, and we're both in stock belts. But, if that guy has a non stock seat, and has attached a harness, we have issues? Why?

Is it because we think the guy will drive to kill if he thinks he's protected better than stock? do we REALLY think that the judgment of a new driver is so consistent?

I think there are guys who are pussy foots WITH a harness, and guys who will scare you without.... and vice versa.

And I certainly don't think there's any hard and fast correlation.

...heck, a lot of track day guys put a better seat in, and a harness set up, so they can actually use the steering wheel for steering...as a passenger, guess what? I don't need my hands for that..I can prop myself just fine using my hands.

or am I missing something?

gran racing
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Why is it so important to have equal restraints? Why do guys gat all up tight about it?

:shrug: Obviously I wondered this when going back and forth with Andy. It would be okay for me to jump in Dan's car with stock belts and seat if he used a stock seat and belts?

I've gotten in some very powerful cars that we both had an aftermarket belts/seat and after a few laps didn't feel comfortable. It wasn't the seat or belts that gave me that feeling.

wepsbee
04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
I had another thought ( happens once in awhile), if restraints and safety equipment must be the same for driver and passenger then I would assume that a window net must be installed also, I havent heard anything about that, what do you guys think?

RSTPerformance
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Jake/Dave and others...

I think that the rule is a good rule. Generally from what I have seen many (not all) people with racing seats and/or 5pt belts have roll bars of some sort. In an accident with racing belts you move a lot, with street belts you move WAY further. I think that the racing belts will greatly increase your safety of hitting the rollbar with your head.

I also think that the the rule enforces the general thought of taking care of your passengers safety is more important than your own safety.

Raymond

lateapex911
04-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Jake/Dave and others...

I think that the rule is a good rule. Generally from what I have seen many (not all) people with racing seats and/or 5pt belts have roll bars of some sort. In an accident with racing belts you move a lot, with street belts you move WAY further. I think that the racing belts will greatly increase your safety of hitting the rollbar with your head.

I also think that the the rule enforces the general thought of taking care of your passengers safety is more important than your own safety.

Raymond

Raymond, from my limited experience, I do not see either correlation. I don't see the cage and belt one for sure, and the *idea* that somebody is going to take care of their passenger better because they supplied equal protection is fine, (if we knew the mentality of every driver, and they were all the same), but I fear having the passenger have better protection could backfire, with certain drivers, who decide (unconsciously, of course, we're talking good judgment and red mist here, after all) if the "risks" are lower, the chances can be taken.

raffaelli
04-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Geez man, I still have a stupid grin on my face. I feel like a just got some for the first time.:smilie_pokal:

gran racing
04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
You did. :D

rhygin
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
I think that I still have the same grin:D