PDA

View Full Version : Neon Computer Code Reader?

gran racing
03-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I have a check engine light on my Neon and don't want to go out and purchase a reader for it. I'm pretty sure it's for something silly, but need to get it resolved before finally selling the car. Any suggestions on where I can get the code read?

Greg Amy
03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
How about at my house tonight? Bring beer.

GA

Rabbit07
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Some years will flash the MIL(check engine light) at you if you cycle the key on-off-on-off-on. That function went away in the late 90's and then came back in about 2001. Once you have the code it should be easy to trouble shoot it. Anyone with an OBD-II scanner should be able to read Powertrain codes.

JamesB
03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
GA now wishes someone from PA ro MD was comming his way.....

gran racing
03-07-2008, 04:14 PM
The car is at one of my co-worker's parents house. That and I won't have a tow vehicle until next week. Greg, does your reader work for a '95 vehicle? I believe most are '96 or newer at least from what I saw when at the parts store. I'll definately take you up on that soon if your reader will work for that year. I still need skooling on the data acq. :)

Edwin Robinson
03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
The car is at one of my co-worker's parents house. That and I won't have a tow vehicle until next week. Greg, does your reader work for a '95 vehicle? I believe most are '96 or newer at least from what I saw when at the parts store. I'll definately take you up on that soon if your reader will work for that year. I still need skooling on the data acq. :)

The 1994-95 cars were OBD-II compliant- you can read them with any OBDII reader.

~E.

Greg Amy
03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
GA now wishes someone from PA ro MD was comming his way.....
Right you are! But, actually, I'm still working off of inventory from pre-hibernation...though it's gettin' low...

The car is at one of my co-worker's parents house.
The come over and snag it; I'm not using it right now. You know where to find me...

Darryl Pritchett
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Matco Tools sells a code reader that will also reset codes that sells for around $110. Simple just plug iit into your OBDII conector and turn it on. Part number MC100.

DaveBrooks
03-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Try harborfreight. I got one from them for around a$100. Or you can get a cheap one from a local autoparts store.