PDA

View Full Version : Daytona test day??

Chris Wire
03-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Is it possible?

I heard a rumor that there may be a test day on the Friday prior to the National/ECR weedend on May 3-4. That would absolutely be something new and welcome, since that is the weekend I hope to debut my RX7. A test day would go a long way toward giving me the confidence to flog the car for an entire ECR, but traditionally test days at Daytona have been a no-no, unlike Sebring.

Can anyone confirm?

titanium
03-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Here is the process for 'testing at Daytona'
Step 1:
Set your front toe at zero. (done)
Step 2:
Air up your tires. (done)
Step 3:
Adjust your rear hatch so it doesn't close all the way. (no hatch, anymore)
Step 4:
Put some big pieces of Lexan in your side windows with very small NACA ducts. (never did it, but someone did do it)
Step 5:
Take your car to the local chassis dyno. Rent it for an hour.
Step 6:
Profit! (cause you didn't waste and entire day at Daytona)

its66
03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Here is the process for 'testing at Daytona'
Step 1:
Set your front toe at zero. (done)
Step 2:
Air up your tires. (done)
Step 3:
Adjust your rear hatch so it doesn't close all the way. (no hatch, anymore)
Step 4:
Put some big pieces of Lexan in your side windows with very small NACA ducts. (never did it, but someone did do it)
Step 5:
Take your car to the local chassis dyno. Rent it for an hour.
Step 6:
Profit! (cause you didn't waste and entire day at Daytona)

You forgot step 5.5---bring a friend with a water hose to the dyno so he can spray large quantities of water on you, your car, and the rollers as you are making the runs..

:shrug:

Kolin Aspegren
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I have never heard of a test day at Daytona, you could run the ecr as a test if you have never been there. For the national there are 2 qual sessions so that might be enough for quick learners.

I only go there so OB can make fun of me

k

paul59
03-05-2008, 06:25 PM
With the changes at Daytona, the track is a lot easier... Turn 1 is huge!!!! you can totaly blow your breaking piont and still make it, turns 2&3 are almost twice as wide... the bus stop has better rumples strips that alows you to put the power down sooner. I was almost 4 seconds faster in November in 07 than 06... If you have any experience with Daytona at all you will love it!!!!

dave parker
03-05-2008, 06:25 PM
"I only go there so OB can make fun of me"

Kolin
We make fun of you at every track we see you at.:D

cheers
Dave Parker (just another a**hole)
WDCR HP#97
2007 MARRS HP Champion

Chris Wire
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
I have never heard of a test day at Daytona, you could run the ecr as a test if you have never been there. For the national there are 2 qual sessions so that might be enough for quick learners.

My issue is not with the track; I've raced there plenty in the last 10 years.

I just didn't want to debut a car with a new motor, new brakes, new cooling system, new suspension, etc., without having run the car at any length before. Daytona is obviously the track that keeps a motor at max RPM for the longest period of time of any track I normally run. That, plus an unproven gearbox and new 5.12 diff just makes for a lot of things to worry about. I was just hoping to have some time to ease into things and build speed slowly. Typically on that weekend we'll have one 15 min practice and one 20 min qualifying session and that's it prior to the race. Not really enough time to run the car in, be able to check the car over and deal with any issues. Also, that schedule may be compressed into one day instead of two which further complicates things.

Rob May
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Chris,

Say it is so!!! The longest enduro builld in the history of all racing is gonna be on track?? Awesome dude! Hope to see you there. Congrats!

Hammer
03-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I was told tonight that there will not be test day at Daytona. You may want to check out if Moroso is having a test day before its one day SAARC race in April.

Chris Wire
03-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I was told tonight that there will not be test day at Daytona. You may want to check out if Moroso is having a test day before its one day SAARC race in April.

Looks like I may be off to the roundy-round at Orlando Speedworld. Unless someone knows of a decently deserted road in Central Florida that will accomodate a rotary at full song without waking up the local constabulary. I just need time and space to get it up to speed, run through the gears, check all systems, etc.

Rob,

Keep your fingers crossed, I'm headed in that direction. Too close to stop now! Hope to see you too.

SATURNRACER
03-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Kolin,
LOL!!! Kolin gets all the love!! :happy204:
Is Stan coming down this year? I haven't heard from him...:shrug:

Kolin Aspegren
03-29-2008, 11:07 AM
O.B. yes Stan is planning on going in something very big with a V-10 under the hood. 1st we need to get thru the debut at the double at vir in a couple of weeks. I'll tell him to ring you. How can anybody miss Daytona.

I bringing a case of those smelly pine trees. Lookout

K

Bob Burris
03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
See if they will let you run the drivers school at daytona in a couple of weeks they sometimes are accomadating and if turnout is low they may want your money

Chris Wire
04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
See if they will let you run the drivers school at daytona in a couple of weeks they sometimes are accomadating and if turnout is low they may want your money

Good idea. It's worth a phone call just to find out.

Mike Guenther
04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Don't be surprised if you get this reply to your request;

Your request is denied. Drivers schools are not test sessions.
Our primary objective is the training novice drivers.
Pete Magnuson

I can certainly understand their position and desire to focus on
what the mission and goal is supposed to be. I really wanted to
be there too, but I'll wait my turn to be back on the Daytona track.

SATURNRACER
04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Chris
Chin Motorsports is running this weekend at Sebring you can run in advanced solo....alot of track time and alot of fun..
O.B.

Chris Wire
04-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks, OB. Car is still not ready. Graphics are in the works. Roll bar padding, oil cooler mounting & plumbing, transponder install, radiator ducting, race prep, and an alignment are the items still in need of completion.

I'm still hopeful but it may be up to the Lord and the power of prayer at this point!

SATURNRACER
04-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I did not make it to Chin this weekend arrrgh!
So Stan the man Wilson my co driver will have to do the honors when he qualifies her for the enduro, New brakes, rotors, tires, and engine tune...etc
I have to work on Saturday Ihate that four letter word.
Any way we will see ya there.
O.B.