PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake

ramoncito89
03-02-2008, 12:22 AM
well in my last event I was told by a fellow competitor to remove my cold air intake because it was illegal in IT then i told the guy that my Nissan came from factory with a cold air intake because those who have sentras know what I'm talking about but I have to double check here before I die by my own words so I want the expert here to talk about this matter.

http://www.geocities.com/g_wellwood/automotive/sentraoemintake.jpg

Greg Amy
03-02-2008, 12:35 AM
You're about to get involved in a long, drawn-out debate, one we've had several times in the past on this forum.

Short version: IMO a cold air intake that pulls air from inside the fender well is NOT legal. That part that sticks in the fender well on a Nissan is enclosed - it's a sound resonator - and all intake air comes from the forward-sticking tube.

However, you'll see arguments that should you decide to leave all those factory parts there, given that it's legal to modify (or replace) anything there that exists, you'll see no reason why you can't cut the whole bottom out of the factory part, plug up the forward-facing hole, and replace your air filter element with a K&N or something like that. Then, since it's legal to modify or replace, you'll not see why you can't replace that newly-modified part with a cold air intake tube sticking down in there...

...EXCEPT...

...for the piece in the rules that says all air must either source from within the confines of the engine compartment or its original source. This negates both the modifying of the resonator box and/or having the air intake down there...

Good luck. I predict 4, maybe 5, pages on this thread. - GA

P.S. There's a drain hole in that fender well resonator. No matter how well intentioned, some air *must* enter the engine sourced from that drain hole. Since air is already entering the intact tract through that drain hole, and legal to modify stock parts, = legal to enlarge that drain hole? Why or why not? Discuss.

ramoncito89
03-02-2008, 01:11 AM
P.S. There's a drain hole in that fender well resonator. No matter how well intentioned, some air *must* enter the engine sourced from that drain hole. Since air is already entering the intact tract through that drain hole, and legal to modify stock parts, = legal to enlarge that drain hole? Why or why not? Discuss.

that was my debate at the track because the resonator is not totally enclosed.

roadracer
05-19-2008, 02:26 AM
You're about to get involved in a long, drawn-out debate, one we've had several times in the past on this forum.
Good luck. I predict 4, maybe 5, pages on this thread. - GA

Could someone point me to the threads where the cold air intake has been discussed in depth. The GCR and the wording in this area is quite grey and very subject to interpretation. I am not looking for Nissan/Datsun specific input under the title of this thread. But more where this rule has been rehashed in a general form for all vehicles.

I did a search, but the limitations on search parameters and the number of characters is limiting in this forum. "air" doesn't work. too short.

Thanks for any help.

EV
05-21-2008, 11:55 AM
GCR 9.1.3 C (starting on page 331 of my GCR) says "Air intake source shall be within the confines of the engine compartment or stock location..." (emphasis mine). Sounds to me like that locks it in that the factory assy is 100% legal.

Now the question, since the stock location of the air intake is where it is, sounds to me like an aftermarket cold air intake where air enters the engine from just under the fender well is legal too since the air entering the engine is coming from the same location as the original source (stock location).

<ducks for cover>