PDA

View Full Version : Deisel hits 3.92 9 Time to park the truck

tdw6974
02-29-2008, 08:55 AM
:shrug: Looking at a 1998 Cabrio GLS for a daily driver. Stick shift. What to i need to check for weak points?? Rust issues tranny,clutch or engine issues? Looking at photos appears they have pretty good interior room wide door for easy entry for the daily lemans start. Thanks for any helpful hints T weaver

x-ring
02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I know nothing about VWs, but I feel your pain on the price of diesel. I haven't started my pickup in probably six weeks. We're at $3.69 here...

pballance
02-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Filled up the truck this am so I could take care of the team owner and haul new furniture home.:cool:

$3.559 up more than .30/ gallon from the last time I filled up.

I feel the pain........... but still think diesel tow is the way to go.

Jeremy Billiel
02-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I daily drive my diesel and no doubt this is getting old, BUT the cost of fuel needs to be over $4 before it makes financial sense to have multiple vehicles (even if the second vehicle gets much better mileage).

Diesel should start going down a bit once New England gets into spring and the demand starts to drop.

JeffYoung
02-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Diesel is fuel oil essentially right? Higher than gas in the winter, cheaper in the summer. Mostly balances out.

Jeremy Billiel
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Diesel is fuel oil essentially right? Higher than gas in the winter, cheaper in the summer. Mostly balances out.

Correct. The only difference is the dye.

robits325is
02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
I daily drive my diesel and no doubt this is getting old, BUT the cost of fuel needs to be over $4 before it makes financial sense to have multiple vehicles (even if the second vehicle gets much better mileage).

Diesel should start going down a bit once New England gets into spring and the demand starts to drop.

Diesel hit $3.99 in Danbury last night - Up .35 in one day

I remember in the 70s & 80s the News would be at truck stops every day interviewing truck drivers. I wonder why they arn't complaining.

tdw6974
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
In the summer the gas price will go up(now I sound like the government EXPERTS) anyhow on Feb 21 Paid 3.63 9/ Tuesday I filled up again (only needed 8 gals) at 3.74 9/ today 3.92 /9 so I'm thinking the VW would be good in the winter and then full in the summer just for a Daily driver.

tdw6974
02-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Diesel hit $3.99 in Danbury last night - Up .35 in one day

I remember in the 70s & 80s the News would be at truck stops every day interviewing truck drivers. I wonder why they arn't complaining.
The truck companies are now allowed to make a "Fuel surchage" have to do frequent overnight shipping of letters just opened an invoice from UPS letter was 16.50 + 2.89 fuel charge. Our Garbage collection has a surcharge for fuel The EXPERTS :eek: can't understand what is slowing the economy and why credit card debt is skyrocketing.

MarkosMotorsports
02-29-2008, 11:25 AM
The truck companies are now allowed to make a "Fuel surchage" have to do frequent overnight shipping of letters just opened an invoice from UPS letter was 16.50 + 2.89 fuel charge. Our Garbage collection has a surcharge for fuel The EXPERTS :eek: can't understand what is slowing the economy and why credit card debt is skyrocketing.

Yesterday here in So Cal I saw prices at $4.19

Greg Amy
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't bank on diesel dropping this year. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on oil macroeconomics, and trust me when I tell you that the current market has NOTHING to do with the fundamentals; right now we're dealing with an emotion-driven speculative market: oil and its derivatives are high because they're high, not because of product supply and demand.

Diesel is as high as $3.999 and as low as $3.699 in central CT. I watch daily for it to tick over $4.009, at which point the visual/psychological barrier has been breeched and it'll keep going (just like crude/bbl). You should plan your racing year expecting $4/gal diesel, and probably even $4/gal gasoline.

I just hope we get some relief within the new few months, otherwise I expect my home oil heating bill to rise a minimum of 50%. These energy costs have a very real probability of affecting my race schedule, in that I am giving serous thought to skipping the farther-away events such as Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta this year (especially given I don't have a fully-prepped car; it's a bit expensive to do development/testing 1000 miles away from home...)

This is going to be a turbulent year in the petroleum market, and it's gonna take some serious changes in our economy (good or bad) along with significant changes in demand (i.e., stop using it) in order to bitch-slap the market to recognize the bubble and pop it. But, other than some peripheral indications of a flattening of demand, it's not there yet, not even close.

Your mileage may not vary, but the costs per mile certainly will. Hang on, kids, it'll be a rough ride in '08.

Tom, the V-dubs of that era are bulletproof cars. Get one that's been maintained well and you won't have any problems. - GA

shwah
02-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Those cars don't have dramatic issues. The earlier A3 chassis cars do have some engine wiring harness gremlins over time, but a 98 should be in better shape than the 93-95 cars that people I know had issues with. Rust can be an issue in the floors, being a convertible I wonder if it has had any less inclement weather exposure...

Jeremy Billiel
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't bank on diesel dropping this year. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on oil macroeconomics, and trust me when I tell you that the current market has NOTHING to do with the fundamentals; right now we're dealing with an emotion-driven speculative market: oil and its derivatives are high because they're high, not because of product supply and demand.

Diesel is as high as $3.999 and as low as $3.699 in central CT. I watch daily for it to tick over $4.009, at which point the visual/psychological barrier has been breeched and it'll keep going (just like crude/bbl). You should plan your racing year expecting $4/gal diesel, and probably even $4/gal gasoline.

I just hope we get some relief within the new few months, otherwise I expect my home oil heating bill to rise a minimum of 50%. These energy costs have a very real probability of affecting my race schedule, in that I am giving serous thought to skipping the farther-away events such as Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta this year (especially given I don't have a fully-prepped car; it's a bit expensive to do development/testing 1000 miles away from home...)

This is going to be a turbulent year in the petroleum market, and it's gonna take some serious changes in our economy (good or bad) along with significant changes in demand (i.e., stop using it) in order to bitch-slap the market to recognize the bubble and pop it. But, other than some peripheral indications of a flattening of demand, it's not there yet, not even close.

Your mileage may not vary, but the costs per mile certainly will. Hang on, kids, it'll be a rough ride in '08.

Tom, the V-dubs of that era are bulletproof cars. Get one that's been maintained well and you won't have any problems. - GA

A little economics lesson.

When the economy goes in the shitter, they lower interest rates which devalues the US dollar against other currencies. So what does an investor do? Buy oil futures! Oil futures are typically not suseptable to US dollar fluctuations.

That is 100% why oil is going hirer. Greg is right... It has nothing to do with the supply and demand, but rest assured that the oil companies like it!!

dave parker
02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
tdw
To answer your question on the 1998 Cabrio, they are not "bad" cars. Only buy a stick shift, VW automatics still leave a lot to be desired in the longevity/durability department. You will probably have coolant leak issues with the Cabrio (they come from the factory with it) and it uses special VW/Audi coolant that only the dealer sells.
As long as you can grasp that the Cabrio is not a Honda or Toyota as far as reliabilty goes you will be a happy VW pilot. But the flip side is that the Hondas and Toyotas just don't have the tactile feel that the VW has.

My opinion and worth exactly what it cost you, nothing.

cheers
Dave Parker
WDCR HP#97

tdw6974
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
395.9 Thanks for the info got the Vin # for VW cehecks out ok for no major claims paid under insurance. Greg is right will be looking at schedule for summer probably stay closer (watkins Glen 45 miles) Pocono 2 hours .

GTIspirit
02-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Makes you wonder about the economics of running a diesel. 20-30% better fuel economy, but fuel is that much more expensive. So are you really saving anything to run a diesel?

shwah
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
You can tow with a LOT more ease. That is the real reason most people end up with them. Even at equal fuel prices it takes a lot of miles to make up the extra price of a diesel truck.

tdw6974
03-01-2008, 02:24 PM
The Diesel replaced a Hemi. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. The Hemi did a hell of a Job towing as of does the Diesel. It just a different "feel" . At the time I acquired the Diesel(long story) diesel was 90 cents lower per gal than gas. The increased cost of the Diesel purchase would have bought a lot of gas now that the pricing has shifted. When the first"crisies' started I'm sure we all saw the "How to save money" by burning wood essay. I guess we will have to make our own Bio Diesel. :rolleyes:

x-ring
03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Heh, if I had the spare time I'd sure as heck give the biodiesel thing a shot.

Maybe try to find a Golf or Jetta oil-burner and run it for a year just to see how it does. Does anybody here know anyone who has actually brewed and run any on their own?

Greg Amy
03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Does anybody here know anyone who has actually brewed and run any on their own?
I've done it, both as brewed biodiesel (BD) and as filtered waste vegetable oil (WVO).

Lots of work. Sure, you can save as much as ~$1.50 per gallon (more for WVO) but it's messy, smelly, and uses some nasty caustic chemicals (BD). You could never make enough for a 44-gallon tow beast - hell, you'd spend most of your time just gathering the WVO - but it would be "OK" to run in a Jetta that goes for two weeks between fills.

Best solution would be to form a co-op and actually run it as a club for paying members. Design the structure such that you've got someone brewing full-time and club members both supply the WVO and pay a nominal fee for usage.

Try it sometime, you might like it. But, trust me, you'll get tired of it once the novelty wears off... - GA

Ron Earp
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Best solution would be to form a co-op and actually run it as a club for paying members. Design the structure such that you've got someone brewing full-time and club members both supply the WVO and pay a nominal fee for usage.

A

And check your state laws on that one before doing it. Here in NC there is a lawsuit over a group doing this as the state figures the group owes money in the form of a fuel tax that really takes away a lot of the financial benefit of doing the work.

x-ring
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I've done it, both as brewed biodiesel (BD) and as filtered waste vegetable oil (WVO).

Lots of work. Sure, you can save as much as ~$1.50 per gallon (more for WVO) but it's messy, smelly, and uses some nasty caustic chemicals (BD). You could never make enough for a 44-gallon tow beast - hell, you'd spend most of your time just gathering the WVO - but it would be "OK" to run in a Jetta that goes for two weeks between fills.

Try it sometime, you might like it. But, trust me, you'll get tired of it once the novelty wears off... - GA

HA, you underestimate my cheap-ness. My wife swears I squeek when I walk. :p

That said, the time to construct the apparatus and gather the oil is what's stopping me. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, soccer, duties as DA of tech, and squeezing a race in every now and then pretty much sucks up all my free time. That and the fear of what it might do to my tow vehicle - I already have one engine rebuild in progress, I don't need another.

x-ring
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
And check your state laws on that one before doing it. Here in NC there is a lawsuit over a group doing this as the state figures the group owes money in the form of a fuel tax that really takes away a lot of the financial benefit of doing the work.

I guess I always wondered about that too. You gotta figure big brother isn't going to let that money slip out of his fingers.

The fuel tax wouldn't bother me so much if I could get the road in front on my house paved.

tdw6974
03-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Greg you take all the fun out of it! Diesel hit 3.99/9 today TW

Greg Amy
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
We're gettin' close here in CT. My $3.99 place from last week was still there this AM, but this afternoon my fav/lowest place nearby went up 10c overnight to $3.85.

This is going to be a very long and painful summer...

Greg Amy
03-07-2008, 06:16 PM
$4.19/gal from the same place as above; 20c more than it was when I went to work this morning.

As this continues, the number and distance of races I'm attending this year is quickly dwindling...right now we're looking at ~$70 each round trip in diesel just to go to Lime Rock, which is 1.5 hours away, and we sleep at home. $150 in diesel to go to NHIS, 3 hrs away. IT Fest would cost ~$500 and the ARRC over $800 -- and that's with today's price...

tdw6974
03-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Nice to be a Leader ours went to 4.05/9 Must be Conn wanted to beat California.

Sandro
03-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Socal was $4.09 this afternoon

Hammer
03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
What is the latest price for race fuel at the tracks.

dj10
03-10-2008, 11:01 AM

How about the price of heating oil!!!!??????

pballance
03-10-2008, 11:29 AM

I think it was $6.50 at Roebling

Greg Amy
03-10-2008, 12:13 PM
How about the price of heating oil!!!!??????
Best spot price today in CT seems to be about $3.51 before taxes. My current contract - expiring in May - is at $2.529.

This just adds one more straw on the camel's back...

tdw6974
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Our contract price is 3.07/9 expires in July might be a good idea to force a delivery before locked in rate expires!!! When We bought house in 1965 we paid 16.7 and got 150 Gals free for becoming a customer(damn I'm old)

Greg Amy
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Yup, and on top of that big news this weekend was the failure of one of the major oil delivery companies in Waterbury CT. 4:30 PM Friday announced business closure and locked the doors. Affects their business plus at least 5 more that they owned.

Other companies are scrambling to pick up the slack, but they're going to have to do it with wholesale spot-priced oil. I expect this will cause economical reverberations state-/region-wide...and I don't expect them to be the last...

It's gonna be a loooong summer....

Conover
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Biodiesel is still $3.50 here in NC. All of a sudden it makes GREAT sense!

dj10
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Best spot price today in CT seems to be about $3.51 before taxes. My current contract - expiring in May - is at $2.529.

This just adds one more straw on the camel's back...

Get filled before you lose that price. I filled my tanks for my 3 buildings for about 2.30+ last year. I just wrote to our state Senator about the prices. Like Bush and gas, I wonder if he even knows the price is high? Did you ever feel like you were in a vise?:( I can be thankful for what I have but feel for the lower income people. How in the hell are they going to afford to heat their homes.
If I can race at all this year, it might only be local.

tdw6974
03-10-2008, 04:32 PM
4.13/9 jumped about 1:00 Pm Had filled Saturday at a Station that was still 3.99/9

tdw6974
03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
:( $4.17/9 and regular UL 3.28/9

flaboy
03-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I just saw 4.04 a gal today!!!!In clermont fl.

Greg Amy
03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
$4.07 to 4.19 in CT. Last night, at least...

tdw6974
03-13-2008, 02:18 PM
4.29/9 weds at the station i filled at sat a 3.99/9

dj10
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
4.29/9 weds at the station i filled at sat a 3.99/9

4.099 or you might as well say 4.10 here in PA today.

Greg Amy
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, rest assured that you're still spending less in fuel with a diesel than you would with a gasser. My V10 van got 7mpg pulling the 24 enclosed, and my PS got 11, a 57% increase. When diesel is 57% more than Regular then I'll start to worry about it...For now I'm just trying to find ways to cut it back in total... - GA

JeffYoung
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Same. Gas Burb pulling 20' enclosed: 8 mpg. Diesel Ram: 14 mpg.

Diesel worth it when towing.

tdw6974
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
HOLY Crap Diesel Diesel Dropped from 4.29/9 to 3.99/9 such a bargain