PDA

View Full Version : Lowes?

Mike Mackaman
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I saw in the latest Sportscar that Lowes is on the schedule. Did I fall into a time warp, or is this another left hand - right hand deal? I would love to believe it, although I will be travelling the week before so it will be a challenge. But that is what makes it fun!

Mike

JeffYoung
02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Mike, check out the CCR website. There is a post from a CCR leadership type saying that Lowe's is cancelled, confirmed, and it is unlikely that CCR will ever run a race there again due to costs.

There also appears to be some opposition to partnering with NCR or other regions in putting on the event, which I don't fully understand and won't/can't comment on other than to say I think most ITS drivers in the SE really enjoy Lowe's and would pay a premium to run there again.

seckerich
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Not sure where you gret that impression Jeff. We were working with MARRS to make it work. The dates at Lowes were given to Petty Driving experience when they spoke about closing the place down. We were working to get ours back when MARRS decided to stay home. If another region thinks they can come in and make it a profitable event we will be happy to work with them.

JeffYoung
02-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Steve, not trying to quibble at all. Here is what I read on the CCR board:

It is highly unlikely that this region will go back to LMS for a road race event. The track is just too expensive. This region has tried every way known to make a success at this track. Some less informed have tried to invite other regions for a joint event, some want to try "spectator" events (both have been tried in the past and neither succeeded-can you imagine the details of holding a spectator road race event there?) For the foreseeable future, the track has sold all of its open dates to the Petty Driving Experience and the other race/experiences that operate at LMS. We've been told that there are no "open" dates for some time to come. As a club, we are looking at other venues, including the proposed High Rock track and Rockingham.
We will continue to hold road race events as long as they pay for themselves. LMS never will.

This was from "girracer" a CCR member on the Board of Directors.

I don't know what that means -- maybe you guys can clarify.

What I do know is that I am aware you guys worked hard with MARRS to do a joint event and they declined due to tow distance. I also know that NCR leadership would be interested in a joint event if it was possible.

Any info you can give us would be appreciated. A lot of us would really like to run there, or have you guys put on a double SARRC weekend at Rockingham (which is in extremely good shape as of March of last year).

seckerich
02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Just know the difference from a post on a message board, and a statement from our BOD.;) If we can find ways to work with other regions to hold good events for racers (in my opinion) we will do it.

JeffYoung
02-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Point taken, and I should know better....lol....

Steve, seriously, I know there is interest within NCR in joining up with you guys to put on a Lowe's event. I think both regions realize it is difficult for any single region to do so.

Our chapter meeting is next week, if it is ok with you I will broach the subject and see how much support there is, and then call you next week to discuss. I know it is probably not possible this year, but that great gaping hole in regional races in NC/SC in June/July/August sure could use some pluggin'!

Mike Mackaman
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the confusion, but that race is such a fun one, and so close to home for me that I would love for it to happen. When I saw it on the schedule I was really hoping that the impossible had happened. Thanks Steve and everyone else for their hard work in getting as far along as we have.

Mike