PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rack Pictures

arpenn
02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
My dad, brother, and I found a good open trailer for our race car and got it for a good price. We are looking for ideas for a tire rack and possibly a box section under the tire rack for tool/part storage. I have searched this forum and found a couple of pictures but not many. Would you guys be kind enough to post some pictures of your trailer so we can get some ideas? We are going to build this our selves we just need ideas. I also read some of the posts about tires being exposed to the sun. We plan on using a tarp to cover the tires while on the trailer and they will be stored inside while at home. Thanks in advance!

pballance
02-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Did you see this thread and pics?

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23173

If I had paid for all of the materials it would have been over $350.00+ for the extrusion alone used to build the rack. It can be done much cheaper but I had the material on hand.. Boxes were $50 ea at wal mart.

Go over to racing junk and look at the open trailers that are for sale. I looked at a lot of them before I went to an enclosed trailer. I saved the images of the ones I liked to use for reference.

Paul

arpenn
02-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes I saw the pictures of your trailer in that thread when I did the search. But there weren't many others. I have searched racing junk and done a google search and still haven't come up with very many pictures/ideas. I have been saving the pictures that I have found for future reference. Many of the ads or posts I found were older and the pictures are no longer working. Thanks for you input. Nice trailer by the way!

mbuskuhl
02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9691/apict0108cv6.jpg

pballance
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Racing junk can be funny. I don't know if you have tried an advanced search but that is how I found the ones I looked at. Here are a couple that are on there now.

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1114528/Super-nice-open-Trailer-w-large-BOX.html

I will look on my other CPU later today and see if I can find any more. FWIW I have seen racks built out of 2 x 4's used on roundy round car trailers but just a simple frame with a means to keep the tires from bouncing off of the trailer is all that is really needed.

The one I built used a propritary aluminum extrusion and stainless fastners. There were grooves in all six sides that held a 1/2" nut or bolt head captive so you could bolt it together. In the enclosed trailer I used e-track and load bars that snap right into the track. It is mounted up high so I can drive the car in under it while the tires are loaded. It holds 10 tires and has room for another row of tires as well if I add another couple of load bars.

Hope this helps and good luck on your search.

arpenn
02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Mark, That is exactly what I had in mind, I just hadn't found any pictures of one. Do you still have that trailer? If so do you have any pictures of the interior of the box?

Paul,Thanks for the links, I had found that first one but I hadn't found the last two pictures you posted. That last one looks kind of like Mark's trailer. I don't want something huge, just big enough to put some tools, gas can's, air tank, oil, etc. in.

Keep the pictures coming!!!