PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Question

mlb67ep
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I have a 93 mustang 2.3 na that I am getting ready for autocross season and was wondering what type of suspension components that you use on your ITB cars, and any suggestions or parts that to stay clear from too, Thanks. Morgan

billf
02-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Morgan,

Easily, the best advice to give for Mustang suspension questions is to refer to the "Bible", Mustang Performance Handbook 2 (Chassis), by Willliam R. Mathis. One book deals with engine and drive train...it's not the one you need. First edition was 1995, and it will explain the problems associated with the design of the Mustang. A thorough understanding of the limitations of the compromises used by Ford will make the system work much better.

Many solutions offered in the book will be beyond the rules that most IT and Solo people are stuck with, but it will give you paramaters to play within. It gives designs, and dimentions of parts to make your self.

Most off-the-shelf parts are for the GT, and don't work with the base 2.3, so read before you spend.

I've set up two M3s for ITB, and of have ideas that we never put to the metal. There was still more room for improvement.

Good racing.

Bill

mlb67ep
02-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the info Bill. Have found the book on Amazon and should have it next week.

billvelvet
02-29-2008, 07:53 AM
try dugan racing in atl ga

billf
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Morgan,
I should have emphasized that the book is written for the GT. Products mentioned are for the GT. You will have to find comparable products (brake pads, shocks, etc) specifically for the four cylinder, and therein is the challenge. Not insurmountable, just challenging.

Keep in mind that the two models share sheet metal, but many critical components (rear diff housings, front uprights, brake components) are specific for the GT.

The information applies to both versions, and is correctable using the same theory application.

Good racing.

Bill

Ron
02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Morgan, where are you located