PDA

View Full Version : put your Pinto on a diet

AjG
02-22-2008, 07:47 PM
First I'd like to thank Jake(lateapex911) for walking me through CRB/ITAC letter writing 101. very cool, thanks.
Not sure who else is running a 2.3 Pinto but the weight has been reduced from 2490 to 2340 per March Fasttrack (pg 25).
Still not a rocket but at least less of a turd.(new team motto?) Now to lose the weight...
Anyone know anything about composite leaf springs? I know the GTPinto guys run them.
How about the wt. difference btw the 8 and 6 3/4 rear end?

billf
02-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I have run both a BS Pinto 2.0 liter in the '70's and an ITB 2.3 in the '90's. I have this to tell you.

"If it ain't broke...". Nothing wrong with the 6 3/4 at the rear of the 2.3, even in modified form. Weight reduction with the 6 3/4 is significant, and the additional strength is UN NEEDED. GT Pinto guys use the 8 inch because the rules allow it. Incidentally, the 8 inch is illegal (in my opinion) since it was not offered with the 2.3...only the V-6, and the wagon. Gearing of the 6 3/4 is good, using the 3.55 already in the earlier units. Drum bBrakes are the same, except for the station wagon, which are illegal for the sedan.

The stock earlier gearbox is strong, and the gearing is great for most tracks...At Nelson Ledges, second gear works for turn 13, third the rest of the track and fourth on the straight.

If you run the '74 Pinto, you have the choice of the 2.0 or the 2.3. Check carefully, but with the lower weight of the 2.0, and the slightly larger brakes of the '74, the smaller engine might be an advantage. At least one that I know of was surprisingly FAST in the class. Check the wording of the rules re: VIN numbers. You may now be able to run later chassis with the earlier engine choice and weight.

Use the Weber 32/36 DGV optional carb due to the larger choke housing and better approach to the venturi, and you will see more power tha n the 5200 Motocraft (Holley/Weber stock carb).

Use light weight 13x6 steel wheels (extremely cheap, too) for further wieght reduction.

Hope some of this stuff helps.

Bill

m33mcg
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I have built alot of 2.3 for dirt track. Last car was 1570 pds. 285whp. I have used composite in the past. We would get one season out of them. If you want to pm me or call me, I will be more than happy to help. I have considered putting one togather myself.
Mike

joeg
02-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Aaron--Your car is already fast. Why would you need a weight break. What the heck is going on?

I like that 285 hp idea though...

AjG
03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Aaron--Your car is already fast. Why would you need a weight break. What the heck is going on?

Thanks.
The Pinto does OK but its not exactly 'VW-fast' in ITB.
I never know whats going on, I just sent a letter to see what would happen. The early Pinto still looks better than the later(mine) on paper and neither one is the car to have in ITB.
You might want to write in on the Lynx, who knows????

Russ Myers
03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Funny, I drive a stock 1980 Pinto that my Aunt left me. She bought it brand new in 1980. It is a 2.3L trunk model with an automatic, and it has an 8 inch.

Russ

dick elliott
03-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Sorry to blow all the expert posting to bits, BUT I have a copy of the 1980 Ford Pinto / Bobcat spec sheet clearly showing and stateing that 8" rear ends were installed in 1980 Pintos. V-6 you say! Nope because that option was droped in 79. This copy came from the main libary in Detroit. At one time they would fax it to you for free, but now unless you live in Detroit, and have a libary card, it'll cost you $100. I've been told by Ford insiders, that at the end of a model run, Ford would use any part they had on hand. Why use a 8"er? Gears / posi's / drop outs / etc / etc. Try it / you'll like it and you'll never have to weld another gear and hope it doesn't brake.

billf
03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
OK, OK....I am soundly trounced!:bash_1_: All the info I had 10 years ago, and those I saw were all small differentials. I stand corrected, and I'm sorry for giving incorrect info.

I'm glad that you have the option, since the available limited slips for the small diff are lincoln, and few if any other. Gearing might be better, but the weight is there also.

Thanks for the research, Dick.

Good racing.

Bill:024: