PDA

View Full Version : ITB VW process weights?

shwah
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Seeing the note in fast track about Gran's request to confirm the A3 VW specs in ITB put some questions in my head.

What is the actual process weight for the A2 VW in ITB?
What is the actual process weight for the A3 VW in ITB?

I never asked before for a few reasons:
1. assumed that the A2 VW was one of the 'bogeys' when the ITB process was developed
2. assumed that possibly the A3 VWs ITA weight was just close enough to process ITB weight on the light side to justify not changing it (and potentially changing roll cage tubing?) - within the granularity of the process so to say.

However I have always wondered how a car with 10% more displacement, .7" larger brakes (about 7%), and the same suspension ended up classified 3% heavier.

I like racing with the cars, but alway wondered what the real process weight was for both. Can any ITAC guys fill in the blanks please?

thanks

Knestis
02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
For what should be obvious reasons, I kind of stepped back from ITAC conversations about the Golf III, short of sharing (or checking) technical info. Even as a pseudo-insider (I came onto the committee after that got most of its consideration), I got the same answer as has been published re: Dave's question - that its current weight aligns with the process.

I do NOT know if the MkII Golf/GTI has had its trip through the process. The problem with it being a "bogey" is that it wouldn't have fallen far enough outside the norm to attract attention for review.

K

shwah
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
I posted this because I noticed that when other cars are under discussion for a class change, classification or clarification, it seems that it is pretty easy for one or another ITAC member to advise what the process spits out for that particular car.

If there are some data points needed to run them, I can get them for the A2, but others probably know more about the A3.

And FWIW no 'witch hunt' agenda, it's just that the math in my head suggests one is off, or both are on opposite sides of the process window of acceptance. It would be nice to know which is the case.

Andy Bettencourt
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Feel free to PM me with some data and I will prvide you the 'napkin' math. Understand that it can give you a general idea but without bouncing the actual cars off of the rest of the committee, nothing is guaranteed.

Or - just submit a request right to the CRB, it will hit the agenda for our next call and it will get offical treatment.

MMiskoe
02-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Andy - I'll bring a keg if that what it takes, but I'll have beer, a notebook & a calculator w/ me at the first race this spring and the expectation that you'll make good on your offer to explain this "process" if I buy you a beer.

If the US government can write the tax code, what does it say about the CRB if they can't write down the process for classifying IT cars?

Matt

shwah
02-21-2008, 11:59 PM
For the record - I'm not concerned with what the process is, just a quick n dirty run through for these cars.

I asked it here 'in the open' because I race with some really good guys that run one of the cars, and I run the other - I would hate for this to come across the wrong way, like I was snooping around and trying to get them a lead trohpy. (edit) But I definitely am curious as to where they stand.

Andy Bettencourt
02-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Andy - I'll bring a keg if that what it takes, but I'll have beer, a notebook & a calculator w/ me at the first race this spring and the expectation that you'll make good on your offer to explain this "process" if I buy you a beer.

If the US government can write the tax code, what does it say about the CRB if they can't write down the process for classifying IT cars?

Matt
Couple of Cokes should do it...and a white board!

shwah
02-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Well - I had not read past page 3 of the fast track thread until just now. Didn't realize this would play into that conversation. AND I even started asking some of those very questions in there myself.

In regards to my question here - I did get some feedback that convinces me that my assumption that one or the other is slightly off the process number but not by enough to go and change it IMO. However it was not the one I expected that is smack dab on the numbers.

Man are we looking forward to the end of January here in the upper midwest so we can go do some actual racing...