PDA

View Full Version : DOT Legal Tires in ITA?

Richard EVO
02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm new to club racing, but have run a lot of HPDE. I tried to search the forum for this question but had no luck. The IT rule for tires is "Any DOT-approved tire is permitted. Racing, recapped, or regrooved tiers are not allowed. Tire size in unrestricted. The only modifications allowed to tires are having treads "shaved" or "trued."

So, if I understand correctly, both R-compounds (eg, Nitto NT-01, Toyo RA-1 and R-888), and competition slicks (eg, Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710) are allowed.

Is that correct? If so, does everyone run slicks rather than R-compounds in dry weather? Thanks! :eclipsee_steering:

JoshS
02-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Richard,

All of the tires you list are considered DOT-R tires.

Real competition slicks are not DOT legal.

Xian
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Richard,

All of the tires you list are considered DOT-R tires.

Real competition slicks are not DOT legal.

x2

In the SE, most of the people who don't run Hoosier's do so b/c of cost/wear considerations and not b/c the Toyo offerings are any faster.

Christian

MarkosMotorsports
02-28-2008, 07:02 AM
So, if I understand correctly, both R-compounds (eg, Nitto NT-01, Toyo RA-1 and R-888), and competition slicks (eg, Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710) are allowed.

All those tires are DOT approved R-compound tires. The Toyo is a much cheaper tire and easy on the wallet while your getting used to the car and club racing. Looks like I need to get my car ready and get back out to the track :023:

Richard EVO
02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Looks like I need to get my car ready and get back out to the track :023:

Will you be at Buttonwillow March 15 & 16? I just got my Novice Permit and this will be my first wheel-to-wheel race weekend, after years of running HPDEs. :026:

MarkosMotorsports
03-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Will you be at Buttonwillow March 15 & 16? I just got my Novice Permit and this will be my first wheel-to-wheel race weekend, after years of running HPDEs. :026:

No... between getting married, getting a house, and starting a new job all in the last 6 months racing is on the back burner right now. Hopefully towards the end of the year I can head out to the track. :(

Allspeed
03-11-2008, 02:46 PM
In the SouthEast Div. does IT7 have a spec tire rule or are ALL DOT tires legal?:shrug:

NutDriverRighty
03-11-2008, 04:21 PM
In the SE Div, all "IT7" cars MUST run the Toyo RA1 in 205/60/13 size. NO OTHER TIRE IS ALLOWED (as long as they haven't changed the rules on me!). If you have a car that meets all other IT7 specs BUT has any other tire or even an RA1 in another size, your class will be ITA.