PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Neon Racers

Rabbit07
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I have a few questions for you Neon racers.

1) What brand and kind of brake pads are you using?

2) Are there any parts that you desire, but find unavailable for your race car, ie swaybars, bushings, exhaust, struts, ect?

Once we start to get some answers I will elaborate....

Thanks!

Kolin Aspegren
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm down to the hand brake to slow the car, show me some love. Oh wait I'm involved in this inquiry.

k

mcshnobe
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
1. Mostly Hawk, sometimes Carbotech.
2. While we're on brakes, the old Raybestos pads. I want those. :) Otherwise, as long as I keep the car in SpecNeon trim, I think I am okay on parts. Although, I am sure I am forgetting something....

Toby

Speed Raycer
02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
We're currently using Hawks, but haven't really experimented...

A full on IT exhaust would be cool... one that's got dyno numbers behind it (as I get ready to cobble ours together)

wcmcarlos
02-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Hawk front, OE rear pads, I had very little wear with six & a half hours at Roebling Road.
I was brakeing hard into turn one, not much anywhere else.
Working on group buys, Chris?
I need information and seat time more than I need parts right now.
Hope I can get you to do a tranny with quaife & 4.12 for me next winter.

Got a picture of you and Cao at the finish, Sebring in CFR region magazine.
Working on finding the photographer.
I am entered in the regional this weekend at Sebring.:eclipsee_steering:
Carlos

Greg Krom
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Hawk blue fronts, cheapo Murrays in the rear - at least thats the plan for next year.

Like Toby, as long as I stay in SN I'm pretty well set. The 22mm rear bar is getting harder to find for new folks - that might be something good to look at.

Darryl Pritchett
02-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Hawk Blues in the front
Hawk ceramic pads in the rear
Prothane Bushings
Rear Eibach Swaybar.

I had a very hard time finding the Iceman Cold Air Intake, I actually ordered it from Mopar not knowing I actually was getting the Iceman.

It would be nice to have someone who specializes in Neon high performance parts.

mcgyverit
02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Hawk Blues on the front and cheap pads on the rears, they seem to last forever on the rear.

exhaust would be good
CAI that didnt require a battery tray swap/mod.
how about a brake duct kit that uses the driving light openings and then mounts on the struts or inner fender somehow. I seem to be going through rotors lately as the speed increases

Rabbit07
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Hawk Blues on the front and cheap pads on the rears, they seem to last forever on the rear.

exhaust would be good
CAI that didnt require a battery tray swap/mod.
how about a brake duct kit that uses the driving light openings and then mounts on the struts or inner fender somehow. I seem to be going through rotors lately as the speed increases

No Pressure at the Fog Light Holes for Brake cooling. The air is moving sideways there.

mcgyverit
02-21-2008, 11:07 AM
what if you moved the inlet more towards the middle of the lower grill in the center of the nose?

Rabbit07
02-21-2008, 11:12 AM
what if you moved the inlet more towards the middle of the lower grill in the center of the nose?

Bingo! That is extactly what I did. I can't reveal my sources, but I have actual wind tunnel data on the 95-99 Neon.

mcgyverit
02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
maybe i should have kept that to myself!

Scott, we may have to make some changes. :)

Kolin Aspegren
02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Tmi Killer Tmi

k

Rabbit07
02-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Alright Kolin, it's time to let eveyone know what you heard about the brakes.

Rabbit07
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Tmi Killer Tmi

k

Just want to make sure that people know that I am not talking out of my butt as usual on this one. :D

Darryl Pritchett
02-21-2008, 06:33 PM
As far as rotors go I used to go through the Mopar ones but I started using the premimum line from Pep Boys and they have out lasted everything else and work great and are cheaper.

DaveBrooks
02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Heres my list.
!. hawk pads
2.Differant final drive ratios& quaiffe
3.differant sway bars & end links especiall for the front.
4sphrical bushings
5cai
5 you could use blower fans like a stock car. :eclipsee_steering:

PSherm
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Been using Hawk Blues front, cheapo pads on rear on the SSC car with no real issues...

I'd like to see a header tuned for our cars...

How about a rule change to allow us to replace/modify the trailing arm for better tire clearance. :rolleyes:

Or a rule change allowing relocation of the battery... :rolleyes:

:D

Darryl Pritchett
02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I'd like to see a header tuned for our cars... (Quote)

The header being tuned would depend on a lot of variables, like what kind of computer are you running, what kind of cold air intake you are using and what modifications you have to your engine.

I am VERY happy with the TTI long tube header I am using, it bolts right up with no problem, very high quality and really brought the engine to life. I have a Mopar Performance Computer and a Iceman Cold Air Intake.

Rabbit07
02-23-2008, 01:11 PM
The Word on the street is that Hawk has "STOPPED" making the blues and the HT-10's for Neons. The good news as I found out today is that they are willing to produce the new compound DTC-60 for Neons if they will sell. Can I see a show of hands for those who would use them?

I am working on some of the other items that people have mentioned. I have made Spherical Bushings for the neon front control arms but I am currently out of stock. I also can get 4.12 final drives for the T-350 trans. It sounds to me like a cold air intake might need to be developed? Exhaust is tricky because it depends on the header that you are using. I am also looking into manufactuing a bolt on 1 1/4" rear sway bar.

Rabbit07
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Here is the email Kolin recieved today....

Kolin,
It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend at the VIR race.
Please forward this message on to your Neon community friends.
Thank you,

Calling all Neon drivers

Hawk is taking their part number HB177 that fits the first generation Neon off their parts list. This has generated a huge outcry from the Neon racer community. We are listening and trying to come up with a solution. As we all know the Neon caliper has a poor design and creates a difficult problem in coming up with a pad that will hold up to the small piston and long pad length without bending and the friction material falling off the backing plate.
I have proposed using a NRS backing plate with the new DTC-60 compound that would provide a superior pad to any that currently exist. However this pad may still have some of the old issues it is just less likely.

In order for this to happen I would have to place a large enough order. I would like to know how may Neons are still out there in competition and how many sets of pads you anticipate using in 1 year.

Please contact me with an email if you are interested.

Sincerely,
Jay Andrew
Andrew Racing-Official HAWK dealer
[email protected] ([email protected])

cjb25hs
02-25-2008, 11:56 PM
So what other options are there. If I remember correctly Carbotech, Performance Friction and EBC all make race pads that fit the neon.

Anybody use any of the above.

Matt Rowe
02-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Chris,

With just guessing on the pad life I would say I have two cars that between them would go through 3 and 5 sets a year.

Rabbit07
02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
So what other options are there. If I remember correctly Carbotech, Performance Friction and EBC all make race pads that fit the neon.

Anybody use any of the above.

PFC's are no longer available for the Neon. It is a shame because they were some of the best :(

I am not sure about EBC, I have never tried them?

Carbotech makes a great product, and I have used them on many cars including the Neon. I among others have found that the Hawk seems to be the prefered brake pad for the Neon.

Rabbit07
02-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Just an update I would like to let everyone know that there was some confusion here regarding what pads are going to not be produced by Hawk anymore. Only the HT-10 pad for the Neon is going away. The Blues will still be available.

cjb25hs
02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Just an update I would like to let everyone know that there was some confusion here regarding what pads are going to not be produced by Hawk anymore. Only the HT-10 pad for the Neon is going away. The Blues will still be available.

Well that certainly is good news. Now only if I could find all of the loose change I have lost over the years to buy about 6 or 7 sets of extras for when they decide to stop making the blues.:happy204:

77ITA
02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I liked the Willwood Polymatrix for the front on the Neon (no longer available). I finally ran out of my supply, and moved to the Hawk HT-10s... they were good too, but didn't quite bite the same way. Jason @ Andrew Racing was great to deal with for the Hawks, BTW.

Most parts are still widely available for the car and there is no excuse for not being able to come up with factory replacement parts (you can't throw a rock in a junk yard without hitting a neon). recently, I was buying complete parts cars for less than $300.

What I would have liked to see for the neon is a full spherical bushing kit... not just the front arms, but the whole suspension. Even with poly bushings, the car had way too much bushing deflection for precise alignments.

A track tested front airdam/splitter would be nice as well. I tried a few things with my car, but they always had negative results.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me now though... :(

I miss my neons!