PDA

View Full Version : Transition from ITS

Grasshoppa
02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I just completed my driver's school at Roebling in my 1994 BMW 325i. I just purchased this car and it had previously been ran in ITS. The previous owner had planned on converting it into an ITR car if he ever ran it again. I classified this car as an ITS car and had the annual done and raced it in school with this classification. I want to run the March race at VIR in the ITR class so I wont be so restricted. Do I simply register in ITR or is there more of a process that I need to go through?

Thanks

Greg Amy
02-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Very simple: change the letters on the car and remove 85# and the intake restrictor. No need to even get a new logbook or annual. If you're gonna be in ITR long-term, update the photos in the logbook and change the classification in there, too.

The logbook goes with the rollcage stampings; as long as you don't change the cage, you don't need a new logbook. - GA

Grasshoppa
02-19-2008, 11:40 AM
thanks greg...thats what i thought but i learned a long time ago to ask those who know more!

JeffYoung
02-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Since you are in NC, I would consider running it in S for this year at least. Much larger fields for the moment - usually anywhere from 8 to 15 S cars at VIR, Roebling, CMP, while only 1 to 2 ITR cars. In a year or so there will be more R cars, but for now if you want to race in larger fields, race in S.

Grasshoppa
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
well if no one shows up and can probably have a podium finish on my first race!

i guess i will still be out there with you guys...i just have a real problem with the restrictor. i will still be overweight due to my lardassedness but i think i will enjoy racing better without feeling like i am being choked out...if that makes sense. are you going to be at that one?

buldogge
02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
You'll feel better racing when there is ACTUAL RACING going on!

If you're just starting out, the restrictor is not gonna be your biggest concern.

The S guys in the SE have a good thing going...decent fields and LOTS of competition...good stuff.

I stayed put in 'S'...it's an uphill battle...but...there's no one to race in 'R' yet...so...WHAT'S THE POINT!...???

IMHO...Take it FWIW.

i guess i will still be out there with you guys...i just have a real problem with the restrictor. i will still be overweight due to my lardassedness but i think i will enjoy racing better without feeling like i am being choked out...if that makes sense. are you going to be at that one?

dj10
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM

Welcome to the big "R":D. My suggestion would be to run in R configuration to get use to the car. Then if you want to go back to S for some reason, add 85#'s of weight and the restrictor, take off the 17" wheels, if you have them and go race S. Good luck to you any maybe we'll meet in May @ VIR.
Best of Luck

seckerich
02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
. Good luck to you any maybe we'll meet in May @ VIR.
Best of Luck[/quote]

We have been waiting for years to meet Dan in May--maybe you will have better luck.:p

lateapex911
02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
You'll learn more in S. Better racing, and while you won't get "easy" trophies, you'll earn the finishes you do get. Do that for at least a few races. Then, if you want, up your game to ITR. keep in mind that your car is currently set up for ITS. While you can run ITR in S configuration, to be optimized for R you'll need to test springs and dampers and sway bars and so on to optimize the setup for the lower weight, wider rims and greater power. There's no free lunch...the car won't be as fast as it can be in ITR trim until that testing is done. Also, don't forget that your car IS capable of running at the very front of the pack in ITS. It CAN be done. But...it's not easy, nor should it be.

As a newbie, the single most important thing that makes you faster is learning how to race and doing the miles. You will learn faster in ITS.

dj10
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
You'll learn more in S. Better racing, and while you won't get "easy" trophies, you'll earn the finishes you do get. Do that for at least a few races. Then, if you want, up your game to ITR. keep in mind that your car is currently set up for ITS. While you can run ITR in S configuration, to be optimized for R you'll need to test springs and dampers and sway bars and so on to optimize the setup for the lower weight, wider rims and greater power. There's no free lunch...the car won't be as fast as it can be in ITR trim until that testing is done. Also, don't forget that your car IS capable of running at the very front of the pack in ITS. It CAN be done. But...it's not easy, nor should it be.

As a newbie, the single most important thing that makes you faster is learning how to race and doing the miles. You will learn faster in ITS.

The main thing he needs to do is test with and without the SIR.
Damn Jake I like your Avatar. I doubt if there is and Silicone there.;)

JeffYoung
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
+1 on that

erlrich
02-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Yep, always have to pause for second or two when scrolling past Jake's posts...

Chris Wire
02-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I vote to make Jake's avatar a sticky! (pun intended)

Knestis
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Note that the logbook refers to a GCR page and I think it's got the minimum weight in there somewhere, right? Annotate as necessary to reflect the change but coordinate with the tech folks and they'll keep you in line.

K

Grasshoppa
02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
just kidding about the trophies...could care less. the main problem that i have right now is due to my ignorance...i had the car custom tuned without the sir installed thus creating a pickle.

titanium
02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep, always have to pause for second or two when scrolling past Jake's posts...

(inner monologue on)
Dammit, there is that girl! She looking at me again!
(inner monologue off)

dj10
02-19-2008, 06:02 PM
just kidding about the trophies...could care less. the main problem that i have right now is due to my ignorance...i had the car custom tuned without the sir installed thus creating a pickle.
From my experience, there is very little change to a/f mixture with or without the SIR. Unless you found something different in your car, I would run it either way. With the SIR your engine is just making noise after 6000 rpm, I usually shifted @ 6500 max. No matter what just focus on your driving, the speed will come naturally.
Stay smooth

pballance
02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey Matt, just stay in S and have fun with the rest of us. I can't wait to get on track with you again. I need to fix my fuel problem and then maybe I can at least get close to you! If I can get the nut behind the wheel tightened up a little I might even be competitive for a few of the slower S guys.

Seriously, only you can make the call whether to stay or move to ITR. I wish you luck which ever way you go!

Paul

Grasshoppa
02-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey Matt, just stay in S and have fun with the rest of us. I can't wait to get on track with you again. I need to fix my fuel problem and then maybe I can at least get close to you! If I can get the nut behind the wheel tightened up a little I might even be competitive for a few of the slower S guys.

Seriously, only you can make the call whether to stay or move to ITR. I wish you luck which ever way you go!

Paul
hey paul, good to here from you...i put a post on myscca looking for you to see if you were running with the tarheel z club at vir but i take it that you are not.

ITS...ITR...just what i needed, another decision and some help these guys are...some say ITR, some say ITS, and some ignoring the question while fixated jake's avatar, which, in fact is the direction that i have decided to go also.