PDA

View Full Version : Removal of unnecessary parts

dickita15
02-18-2008, 06:55 PM
So it is winter, and nothing says winter like a good philosophy discussion so IT cars are rarely dual purpose any more why don’t we adopt rules like this:

Removal of wiring associated with a component which may be removed by these rules is permitted. All non-essential wiring, switches, gauges, horns, flashers, relays, and lights may be removed.

JoshS
02-18-2008, 07:17 PM
So it is winter, and nothing says winter like a good philosophy discussion so IT cars are rarely dual purpose any more why don’t we adopt rules like this:

Removal of wiring associated with a component which may be removed by these rules is permitted. All non-essential wiring, switches, gauges, horns, flashers, relays, and lights may be removed.

Winter? I already had my first race!

Don't forget electronic control units in your list. Power window control modules, etc.

RSTPerformance
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Dick-

I support your idea!!!

Raymond

Knestis
02-18-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I already believe this is the case in some instances (e.g., when replacing electric window winders with cranks, or removing optional equipment that didn't come in some cars on a given spec line) - IF the wiring "parts" were not on the cars so equipped.

Example 1 - I can run without a rear wiper because there was a model of Golf delivered without it. However, I can't cut out the wiring to the wiper motor because it's part of a harness that was the same in cars with and without the wiper.

I put "parts" in quotes to remind us that they are components with part numbers and subject to all of the same rules re: modifying them.

Example 2 - Some MkI Wunderputz models came with rear wipers but most did not. For this reason, those so equipped had a separate harness that was installed from the front of the car. Wunderputz IT racers can remove that harness too, under current rules.

But those are both update/backdate questions. It sounds like we're talking here about removing wiring for parts that we're allowed to remove - just because we can - right? The point at which I can run an aftermarket ECU and a PI dash instead of the stock cluster, what remains as "essential" (the opposite of your "non-essential")...? Can I ADD wiring under this new paradigm?

It's just the tiniest step from what's suggested here and "wiring is free." And what does that gain us? An nth-degree build just added another step, to completely eliminate the stock wiring and build a lighter, stripped-down version.

I'm not sure that's a good thing for the category, even if it works out to be a good thing for some individual racers.

K

Z3_GoCar
02-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Here's a list of standard equipment installed on all models of my car that can be removed, or has wiring for it:

Traction Control, ABS, Brake Wear indicator lights, parking brake light, electric door/trunk locks, power windows, power mirrors, alarm, air bags, power seats, seat heater, air conditioning, fog lights, hands free cell phone, radio with six disc cd player, trunk mounted amplifyer, six speakers and a sub woofer, pyrotecnic seat belt tensioners, service indicator light and a seperate computer to run all this extra chassis functions.

So, why would I need to keep the harness for the non-existant power seat, the non-existant sensor to tell the air bag to deploy, tension the non-existant seat belts, or even for the non-existant air bags, or now power the non-existant mirrors? Actually, since I didn't strip the car most of those wires were gone anyway, and I've keep everything that was there, and added a few new wires for my gages, key switch, and starter button. Over the past 15 years I doubt there's a car built without air bags, ABS and power locks. Lets get rid of the bundles of snakes.

James

JoshS
02-19-2008, 01:09 AM
So, why would I need to keep the harness for the ... non-existant sensor to tell the air bag to deploy, tension the non-existant seat belts, or even for the non-existant air bags ...?

Just FYI, James: the wiring and ancillary equipment for airbags and stereos can be removed.

The other stuff has to stay.

As you probably know, in the Z3, there's a separate stereo harness, so removing that wiring is very easy. But I personally felt that separating out the wires for the airbags from other vehicle wiring wasn't worth my effort. I did remove the airbag sensors and the control unit.

9.1.3.D.9.j: "Audio systems may be removed in their entirety."
9.1.3.D.10.d: "Air bag systems shall be disarmed and may be removed."

These are usually interpreted to include wiring for their respective systems.

Chris Wire
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Winter?

We've got over 360 entries for Sebring this weekend!

I love winter!!!

raffaelli
09-28-2008, 11:26 PM
So I wanna move the wiper control to a switch and the lights to a switch. They are both controlled now by separate OE stalks on the steering column. Both to be mounted on a panel somewhere on the dash. I wanna, for no other reason other than, sometimes I wack these while dropping my hand to and from the stick shift.

From the rules:

Instrument - An indicator or readout which, when active, contains information about some aspect of car operation for driver reference.

9.c. Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed. They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash "board" or panel shall remain intact.

Can I sucessfully consider the stalks as an instrument since they indicate information about some aspect of car operation? If so, I am free to take them out or move 'em around?

JoshS
09-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Can I sucessfully consider the stalks as an instrument since they indicate information about some aspect of car operation? If so, I am free to take them out or move 'em around?

See page 38 of the latest Fastrack. Switches are not instruments. So, no.

I feel for you, I routinely whack my turn signal stalk when I get into the car, but, I don't think it (or the wiper or cruise control stalks which my car also has) can be removed.

raffaelli
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
errrr, ummm.........(scrambling)

I got it! Its a lever! Not a switch!!!!! So its an instrument!:happy204:

Do I get a prize?:smilie_pokal:

RSTPerformance
09-29-2008, 04:44 AM
errrr, ummm.........(scrambling)

I got it! Its a lever! Not a switch!!!!! So its an instrument!:happy204:

Do I get a prize?:smilie_pokal:

nice :)

Raymond

RacerBill
09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
See page 38 of the latest Fastrack. Switches are not instruments. So, no.

I feel for you, I routinely whack my turn signal stalk when I get into the car, but, I don't think it (or the wiper or cruise control stalks which my car also has) can be removed.

Been there, done that, too! "whack my turn signal...." Then the bulb stays on until it burns out, then tech calls me on the carpet because I have only one tail light......

Knestis
09-29-2008, 01:39 PM
...Example 1 - I can run without a rear wiper because there was a model of Golf delivered without it. However, I can't cut out the wiring to the wiper motor because it's part of a harness that was the same in cars with and without the wiper. ...

In the interest of accuracy, i want to amend this: New information from parts lists indicate that when the Golf III was delivered without a wiper, it did in fact come with a different hatch harness.

I still can't just cut up the old one that DOES have the wiper wires.

KK