PDA

View Full Version : Best Racing Jacks / Jack Stands

robits325is
02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Anyone have a good source for Aluminum Racing Jacks? I have purchased my share of Harbor Freight Jacks. I have one of the $700+ jacks and it does work well but I need to buy 3-4 more.

Also any suggestions on nice, strong, light and cheap jack stands?

Thanks,

Rob

USGUYS
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Look at the Sear's Craftsman jack. They look pretty nice for the price.

dj10
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM

A team used my craftsman for the 24 hr @ the ledges, it was scrap when I got it back. I always hated being 1 jack off, :DI can't imagine being 3 or 4.

erlrich
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
There was a pretty good discussion recently about jacks over at the sandbox: http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7087&posts=54&start=1

robits325is
02-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I have a Craftsman Jack and it worked well for a while but now it takes 20 pumps to raise a car a car. I tried to bleed it out but its hopeless.

Usually I buy two $99 Jacks a year - by mid-season they are just barely hanging on and by Novemeber they are in the trash.

mom'sZ
02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
There was a pretty good discussion recently about jacks over at the sandbox: http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7087&posts=54&start=1
+1 for what earl said and one of the things that really came out of that discussion

was that a lot of folks, myself included haven't had good luck with craftsman jacks , no disrespect for you USGUYS

its66
02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
was that a lot of folks, myself included haven't had good luck with craftsman jacks , no disrespect for you USGUYS
/\ +1 Complete junk. The Harbor freight jack is actually a better jack

Sandro
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I bought one from pep boys about a year ago, I belevie its called BigRed. I got it when they had rebates for almost everything in the store. I want to say it endud up being about $70 after reabates, so far I have been happy with it(knocking on wood) I never leave it suporting the car unless its something quick such as changing a wheel.

this is just a model but looks exactly like it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Collectible-TORIN-Big-Red-Mini-Aluminum-Racing-Jack_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107061QQihZ015QQit emZ250214864229QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

for jack stands whatever you do do not get ones that look like this
http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/d8/7d/c822_1.JPG

they came with my jack and I ended up giving them away within a minute of trying them out.

PSherm
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I've been using one of the HF jacks for 5 years now, with no problems. When this one goes TU, I'll buy another HF one. I just consider jacks as expendable items, so if it only lasts a season or so I'm not disappointed. :D

ScotMac
02-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I bought one from pep boys about a year ago, I belevie its called BigRed. I got it when they had rebates for almost everything in the store. I want to say it endud up being about $70 after reabates, so far I have been happy with it(knocking on wood) I never leave it suporting the car unless its something quick such as changing a wheel.

this is just a model but looks exactly like it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Collectible-TORIN-Big-Red-Mini-Aluminum-Racing-Jack_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107061QQihZ015QQit emZ250214864229QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I got that same jack. It was the only one i could find quickly that would fit under they car. I like the lightweight'ness of it, but don't know how long it will last. I've only used for 3 races, and i don't use it in the garage.

Sandro
02-14-2008, 02:35 AM
I got that same jack. It was the only one i could find quickly that would fit under they car. I like the lightweight'ness of it, but don't know how long it will last. I've only used for 3 races, and i don't use it in the garage.

I use mine all the time in the garage, even use it for the daily driver. Once I got that one I got tired of moving the steel jack around so its tucked under the bench. :026:

x-ring
02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
I've been using one of the HF jacks for 5 years now, with no problems. When this one goes TU, I'll buy another HF one. I just consider jacks as expendable items, so if it only lasts a season or so I'm not disappointed. :D

+1 on that. I've had my HF since '03, use it in the garage and at the track. No complaints.

x-ring
02-14-2008, 09:52 AM
for jack stands whatever you do do not get ones that look like this
http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/d8/7d/c822_1.JPG

they came with my jack and I ended up giving them away within a minute of trying them out.

Why do you say that? Those look prettty much just like a set of Blue Point stands someone gave me, and I think they're fine.

joeg
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I own a $1000.00 Pace and a $79.00 Harbor Freight--for quite some time. Of the two, only the PACE failed with a seal failure--once.

The HF simply amazes me.

Speed Raycer
02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
My HF failed w/in about 4 months of owning it. I bought it right when they first started carrying them. Lucky me I guess.

88YB1
02-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I've used the same HF jack for 5 years both at the track and in the shop with no problem. Last summer I bought two more because they were on sale. No problem with any of them. Two years ago I bought a Big Red that came with stands from Northern Hardware. The jack fell apart the second time I used it. Stick with HF. Their jacks are cheap, and hold up well.

Chuck

Sandro
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Why do you say that? Those look prettty much just like a set of Blue Point stands someone gave me, and I think they're fine.

Reason I don't like them is if your not on a smooth surface such as tarmac at the track, since they have a flat base they don't sit 100% flat.
Main reason I didnt like them was because if I lift the front of the car and support it with those then lift the back, when you start lifting the back they would start to lean. First time I used them the car almost fell off. They work fine if you use them to support something that won't be moving, such as the back once the front is already up. I prefer my jack stands with the 4 legs much better.

DavidM
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I have two of the Craftsman jacks and have been using them for a couple seasons. They're starting to get tire, but are still functional. I may start leaving them in the trailer and get another one for the garage.

David

77ITA
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I've been using the cheap/smaller aluminum harbour freight jack for the last three years.

Yes, one of the casters has fallen off (causing the car to fall), yes it is a complete piece of garbage, but it sure keeps on trucking!

So yeah... dangerous and rickety, but it still does the job and I'm a big cheap skate.

Dodge Neon racecar approved! :p

JLawton
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
So yeah... dangerous and rickety,

That's a good point! I have one of the Big Reds (although it's blue........what's up with that!!??) It's worked great for the last three years <knocking on wood> .cost less than $80, but is VERY dangerous on grass and rough, uneven ground. That's when I go borrow someone's Craftsmen......... :D

chuck baader
02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Been using the Crapsman jack for about 4 years...no problems. I also have one of the expensive ones, paid 600$ at a trade show, and the Crapsman works better.

For jack stands, at home I use the 6 ton HF stands...heavy, but big enough to get under the car on a creeper if you want to. For the track, I use the smaller HF jack stands and I have welded a 10ga sheet to the bottom to prevent asphalt dents (think Barber) and sinking in the sand (think Roebling). Hope this helps, Chuck