PDA

View Full Version : What's a BMWCCA CM car?

Knestis
02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
An acquaintance purchased an e30 with "CM" on the side. It's got some wacky stuff (2.8 diesel crank?) so it's not an IT car but I'm hoping someone can give me a primer on BMWCCA rules so I'll know where to look for stuff that needs to be addressed...

Thank you

Ignorant in WV

JeffYoung
02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
C-Modified. These are some of the fastest BMW CCA cars - like near 2 minute laps at VIR. Body panels, wings, many free engine internals.

If the intent is to make it an ITR car, I suspect your buddy is looking at a lot of work.

BMW CCA rules are here somewhere: www.bmwcca.org (http://www.bmwcca.org)

Edit: specfically, they are here:

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Information/ForTheRacer.aspx

I just read the engine rules. Stock block. Everything else free. Wow.

Z3_GoCar
02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
It really depends on what was done to the car by the previous owner, but C is for cars over 3.0l or 2.0l with forced induction. I was in D-Mod because of a plactic hood and a standalone engine management, even though the rest of the car was more like prepared legal. Needless I ran with the Prepared guys and watched the true Mod guys lap me. In the end all the BMW classes run together, so no matter how under prepared you are there's always someone to drive against.

James

mlytle
02-10-2008, 02:05 PM
bmw cca mod classes are the anything goes classes. the letter in front of the "m" denotes size of engine. "a" is fastest. "s" is for super mod....cars that are not based on north american prodution bmw's.

bmw cca prepared classes are just a notch faster than SCCA IT prep levels.

Knestis
02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Interesting.

From the outside, this guy's car looks like a basic e30 325 but it looks like I'll have to see what he knows about the engine, etc.

I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of DP as an answer for him. He's made the common mistake of buying a car, THEN looking into classes and rules...

K

Z3_GoCar
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
bmw cca mod classes are the anything goes classes. the letter in front of the "m" denotes size of engine. "a" is fastest. "s" is for super mod....cars that are not based on north american prodution bmw's.

bmw cca prepared classes are just a notch faster than SCCA IT prep levels.

Don't tell that to John Norris:

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/_Uploads/RaceResults/WillowSpringsJuly2007results.pdf

He's blown the JP field and running with the IP group.

Kirk,

Even if he were purchasing an IT car it's not always possible to tell what's been done or if it were legal, that's the crap-shoot that comes of buying a race car. The biggest issue he may face would possible be the cage, if it's got bars through to the strut towers, and many more mounting points, it would be more problematic, if he had the minimum cage then it's not such an issue. It sounds like to motor had a home brewed stroker job to get it to 3.2ltrs. If the cage isn't an issue, and body parts are steel, then he maybe will just need a new M-10, body part are easy to come by too, so it's still possible to be a (generally uncompetitive) ITS car.

James

JeffYoung
02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
JP rules allow free cams/throttle bodies and any stock BMW AFM/MAP/MAF of the same type used on the original car? Plus bigger/better brakes, "free" flywheels and same suspension prep as IT?

Other than no completely free ECU (looks like they allow a reflash), sure looks like a lot faster than ITS/ITR car to me.

Isn't the 2.5 with the "Euro cams" and throttle body capable of something like 250 whp??? Wow.

Knestis
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM

John Norris is just a notch faster than BMWCCA drivers.

As some here are fond of saying, "fixed that for you."

:cool:

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what I learn.

K

Z3_GoCar
02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
JP rules allow free cams/throttle bodies and any stock BMW AFM/MAP/MAF of the same type used on the original car? Plus bigger/better brakes, "free" flywheels and same suspension prep as IT?

Other than no completely free ECU (looks like they allow a reflash), sure looks like a lot faster than ITS/ITR car to me.

Isn't the 2.5 with the "Euro cams" and throttle body capable of something like 250 whp??? Wow.

Jeff,

You're forgetting the rear wing that's allowed. On IT's side we get spherical bearings, they only get plastic. Oh, and they get to change motor mounts out for anything, even Aluminum.

James

mlytle
02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
As some here are fond of saying, "fixed that for you."

:cool:

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what I learn.

K
i said the JP CAR was faster than SCCA IT...not the DRIVER!

marshall
regular BMWCCA podium finisher and ex-south atlantic region BMWCCA JP champion....in an IT prepped car. :cool:

mlytle
02-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Jeff,

You're forgetting the rear wing that's allowed. On IT's side we get spherical bearings, they only get plastic. Oh, and they get to change motor mounts out for anything, even Aluminum.

James
rear wing and deep front splitter. and they are allowed some spherical bearings this year. pretty much only benefit IT has is a few sphericals, open ecu and some weight.

it was kinda funny. bmwcca mgmt was a little nervous about ITR initially and classed us one class UP from normal. I raced with the M3's in my IT 325 for a few races until it got sorted out.