PDA

View Full Version : Muffler?

Scooter
02-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I am switching to a single-exhaust and I need to make sure that the muffler that I get for it is quiet enough to keep me in the low-90s in db since that's what most of the tracks around here require.

What kind of muffler are you running for quiet tracks?

Anyone tried the Racing Beat Power Pulse, or the Aero Exhaust Stealth?

joeracerx95
02-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm using the PowerPulse on a1st gen. It is able to keep me below 100db. Since you are running a 13B YMMV. Mazdatrix sells, uses and highly recommends this muffler.

Be aware that with this muffler you will need to weld it onto your exhaust or weld on short pipes to install it in your system with clamps. If that's confusing, just look at the picture of the unit on the Racing Beat site and it becomes obvious what I'm talking about.

-chuck-

seckerich
02-06-2008, 01:30 AM
No single muffler will get you to your goal. Add a presilencer after the collector and run a good Borla or similar at the rear of the car. 3 in 3 out is your best bet.

Scooter
02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Well the only thing is that I was planning on using the ISC expansion chamber center-section and that's where a pre-silencer would normally go.

Anyone running this type of setup and getting down around 92db?

its66
02-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Expect 92-98 db with ISC's complete exhaust(depending upon track conditions) If you use a real muffler in place of the expansion chamber/muffler that Mike uses in his mid-pipe, you should drop to 90-94....
Borla mufflers are definately quieter than Magnaflow

Scooter
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
So it seems like if I have to put a pre-silencer on there anyway I might just keep my full-dual exhaust. It's nice and quiet and maybe the only drawback is weight.

Does anyone have any evidence that a full-dual like the Mazdatrix exhaust is down significant HP to a ISC style single exhaust?

seckerich
02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
My Speedsource setup has never topped 89 db and I promise you it makes the power. :023:

Scooter
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Wow, that sounds awesome. So I wrote to them and asked them about it and they haven't written back yet.

What sort of exhaust is it anyway? Full-dual? Special muffler?

(thanks, btw, to everyone for their input.)

tom_sprecher
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Well the only thing is that I was planning on using the ISC expansion chamber center-section and that's where a pre-silencer would normally go.

Anyone running this type of setup and getting down around 92db?

On my 1st gen I have 3" in and out of an ISC expansion chamber than goes over the axle and into a Dynomax that is about 8" in dia and 18" long. I can't remember what db level is I do recall that it easily passed sound.

Andy Bettencourt
02-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Sound level readings will vary from track to track. Whil I don't doubt the claims from the sources above, we run similar systems and are around 98-100dB.

The readings are dependant on distance and position of the equipment.

Bottom line? You MAY have to customize a solution for your main track (more muffler, angled exhaust tip etc)

seckerich
02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow, that sounds awesome. So I wrote to them and asked them about it and they haven't written back yet.

What sort of exhaust is it anyway? Full-dual? Special muffler?

(thanks, btw, to everyone for their input.)

It is a 3" single system with merged collector and has 2 mufflers in the system. Rear muffler is a 16" 3 in 3 out Borla and front is a somewhat special Borla. Speedsource will have to give you any more info. ;)You can get what you need with a 12 Borla up front and a 16" in the rear.

Scooter
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Ah! Thank you! This information has been very difficult to locate on the interwebs.

Btw they are Borla XSs, right?

SPiN Racing
02-21-2008, 03:47 AM
On my ITA 7, I have a long collected system that was running a Edlebrock stainless RV muffler. 3 In and out center. It was a little loud with a turn down, but legal in CFR.
I have now got basically the same length long collected system but it is the Racing beat system. And it is soo goddamn quiet I cant hear the engine RPM on the track. EVERYTHING is louder than me. I mean everything. Its bad.
I pulled the presilencers out cause they weigh a metric ton, and its NOT ANY LOUDER AT ALL!!! And it pulls the same on the butt dyno.

mbuskuhl
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Will adding a 3" presilencer have any negative impact on HP? The presilencer I am about to add is the one from Racing Beat - http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset.asp?partnumber=16435 I was going to install it shortly after the collector.

My system now is a true dual outlet header to a 3" collector - 3" mandrel pipe - 3" SS Dynomax Ultra Flo 6" round. A little loud, had a 105db reading not too long ago. I'm not concerned about sound control as much as my ears. If the presilencer is going to do anything to HP, I'll just have to put my ear plugs in and use the downturn.