PDA

View Full Version : Z Block Oil Pressure Thread Type?

Ron Earp
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm rebuilding my oil filter and cooler system on my Z. Right now my oil pressure gauge gets a feed from the block to the right of the oil filter boss. A small brass tube is attached there and comes out to an AN fitting. I want to plug the hole that the brass tube screws into - is this hole a 1/4" NPT?

I have not removed the tube yet to look but if someone definitely knows what it is that will help me to get a plug for it now rather than fishing around for one on the weekend.

mom'sZ
02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Ron: it is not 1/4" NPT unless someone has tapped the hole. From the factory the hole is BSP (british standard pipe thread) The oil pressure hole is 1/8" BSP (I think) The ones in the block and intake are BSP as well. It took me a while but Mcmaster Carr has them and they have a good website so you can find anything you need and shipping is prompt. Here's a link
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I got pipe plugs from them (brass or cast iron, hex head or allen) and also adapters to npt fittings so I could plump my gauges. I got a bunch of extras so if you want one drop me an email and I'll send you a couple. andy at smila dot net.

erlrich
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Ron, not sure about your Z but I know when I wanted to add an oil pressure gauge to my 240 I had a hell of a time finding an adapter. Finally found out that the threads are 1/8 BSP, and found an adapter for Honduhs that worked for my car too.

Ron Earp
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Thank you for that sir, that is helpful! I'm a regular customer at McMaster and just ordered about $60 worth of fittings and other stuff to have at home. I'm always going to Lowe's to get a NPT adapter of some sort. I just ordered the BSP adapters and put a bunch of other stuff on the order too.

Ron

Mike Mackaman
02-06-2008, 06:27 PM
If memory serves, there is a one thread per inch difference between BSP and NPT. That and the taper. I always just run a NPT tap through it on build. That way I don't have to worry about a broken fitting that is an oddball on a race weekend. Sorry, I stress about that kind of thing. Changing them to NPT makes life a lot easier. You can get a part at Lowes!

Mike

JimLill
02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Useful info here.......... http://s2.pegasusautoracing.com/2007/087.pdf