PDA

View Full Version : Can I come play with you guys?

pballance
02-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Since I got signed off at the Roebling Double School yesterday. :026::026::026::026:

I made it through with the help of Ron from Atlanta and many others. I did get to meet the new owner of the Steve E's old car(Jeff) and his buddy Paul from Hilton Head. Steve E Made it to the track for some support.

Both of the Mazda's were turning some quick laps. I had some fueling problems that was costing me 5-600 RPMs at the end of the front straight and some stumbling other places but I was still running low 27's on old tires.

I had a blast and can't wait to be on track with you.

Thanks again for the help Ron!

Paul

JeffYoung
02-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Good job Paul. Look forward to racing with you this year.

toddgreene
02-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Paul,

Great to hear all went well!!!:023:
I kept up with you guys on the Teamtac site this weekend.
I hate I missed it.

Todd

BlueStreak
02-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Paul got out of that car grinning from ear to ear!

It was great to see him and three other TVR drivers get their tickets this weekend.

One of the new TVR drivers is driving an ITB Rabbit (and we'll soon see him spending some time on this board), and there were a total three ITB Rabbits at the school - look out, the Rabbits are multiplying!

So Paul, you going to the IT Festival this year? Help me con John into going up there with us...

mom'sZ
02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Paul: Good show!!! now let me ask a question... did you change anything with the car's setup that helped you feel more comfortable this time then last time? or was just more seat time enough to get comfortable with the zcar's handling?

seckerich
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Congratulations to all the new racers in the Southeast!! Now come on out to CMP and get one of those races signed off at the CCPS race on Feb 16/17.

jmark
02-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Congrats Paul! Always good to see another Z car out there!

Ron Earp
02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Congrats Paul, look forward to seeing you out this year. Do like Steve says, come on down to CMP for the new configuration. Lots of racing at CMP this year too, so you might as well get started learning it!

Ron

240zdave
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Way to go, Paul! I knew it was just a matter of time. I'll look forward to racing with you somewhere later this year.

seckerich
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
The whole IT group did great at school. Very good on flags and no contact. Look forward to racing with all of them. Now if I just had an IT car again. I figure I will make it half the season and have to build another car. If the ITAC would just get in gear and get the RX8 classed.:023:

lateapex911
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
It's not 5 yrs old yet...

and while you're asking, any weight you'd like that at? ;)

dave parker
02-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Paul
While I was only able to watch your practice starts and race, I thought everyone did a great job. I was crewing the blue Storh D sports racer in group two, crewing that car by myself kept me pretty busy.
I have to say that the Buccaneer region puts on a good school, and you cannot beat the Georgia hospitality.
We had the exhaust collector break on the car on Saturday afternoon, the local region people put us in touch with a local guy who was able to weld the collector back together for us. The gentleman would not take any money for his work (he had several hours in it), he just wanted to see the car and the driver finish the school.
Good school, great people in the region, and a fun track to drive.:023:
I will be back this season to race with them.
cheers
Dave Parker
WDCR HP #97
2007 MARRS HP Champion

pballance
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I had a blast! I really did! SO much better than last year. I am still trying to figure out what events I am going to try and hit. Nashville and maybe Barber are the only somewhat certain races I will be at. I might try to make it back to RR but it is just such a long tow back on Sunday it was nearly 1am by the time I got home.

Steve E, As much as I would like to come up it will have to wait until later this year. January got VERY expensive for me with the school and the new to me enclosed trailer. BTW, the $$$ jumped to 10k for the car we talked about. If you are still interested then I will send you the details via pm.

Dave Parker, I was paddocked with the driver of the other DSR that was at school. George did great and so did your driver. I heard about the problem and was glad you got it fixed. George broke a heim joint and luckily had a spare and the volunteer crew was able to fix it for him. Brett also helped me try to sort out my fueling issue.

Mom'sZ, I did nothing but maintenance while I TT'd and Hillclimbed with the car. Changed the brake fluid once, adjust the rear brakes once, and nut and bolt the car. That's it!

I am still recovering from the fun but I can't wait to get back on track. Time to nut and bolt the car and start looking at suspension upgrades. The shocks I was on at RR are shot and mismatched but I still was able to get down into the 27's a few times. Next race budget includes new Hoosier's , two more Bilsteins, revalving on the shocks, camber plates/strut bar and new struts! I already have the struts on hand just need to section, sleeve, and put on the new perches and hats.
:o

I can't thank Ron Sattele enough for his support. He helped me as much as my regular instructor and coached me into the fast line on every corner! THANKS RON!

its66
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM

I can answer that one if you like;)

seckerich
02-06-2008, 01:17 AM

I will save that for another thread. :p Just get it done based on the real numbers you have so we can start building cars. Class it heavier than a E36 and it is DOA. ;)I can run ITO until 09!! Come on big guy--throw us a bone.

paul59
02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Based on what you guys did at daytona, we may not want your RX-8 classed...lol!!!

seckerich
02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Alright Paul--I'm just not feeling the love here!! You guys had a great run going, just bad racing luck. Look for you to be strong this year. See you at the track.

paul59
02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Plane and simple... that RX-8 was fast and built proof... It was a great race...Next stop Mexico

Parrish57
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Paul... Way to go!!! I look forward to racing with you. I wish you could come down to CMP next weekend but I understand the constraints that hold us back. I'd run EVERY race if my schedule and budget would allow. Maybe I'll see you at Barber!

wcmcarlos
02-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Paul,
you waved me by while you were warming tires, I locked down and passed on the inside just in time to see the double yellow!!
I thought I would be going home without my ticket punched, but it turns out I was safe !
ALL the guys in our run group were great at helping each other stay out of trouble.
Thanks for all your courtesy.
Carlos

racingralph
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
hey newbees ! WELCOME !!!! we need to get more " s " cars out there . thank you for coming to run its with us. i will help you, if i can lets go racing !!!

pballance
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks to all of you guys. I will buy the first round when I finally get on track with you. I had to think long and hard not to come to CMP but I just couldn't make the numbers work this time. Oh well there will be other events this year. :)

You guys have fun at CMP and SteveP get the motor in so Jeff and Ron have somebody to follow around on track :eek:

Yellowhammer
02-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, since there is no "introduce yourself as a noob" forum, I guess this is as good a place as any to say hi. :)

I'm a fellow Tennessee Valley Region member that was at the Roebling school with Paul getting my license as well. It's been a few weeks now and I'm still buzzing from how much fun that was. 6 hours of track time- whew...what a trial by fire. I bought an ITB GTI off this forum from a guy in Ohio. Car was the (I guess) typical "race ready" car that needed like $2k and a bunch of time dumped into it. :blink: Anyway- I have done mucho Autocross, road rallies, Time Trials, Hillclimbs, a bit of Clubrally/NASA Rallys, and I am a rabid Rallycrosser, so Road Racing was the one thing I hadn't tried yet.... I was actually a bit worried because I wasn't sure I'd like it.. I know and have seen personally that it's not everyone's cup of tea. like it or not or agree or not there seems to be a "ladder" in SCCA of autocross>Time Trials> Road Racing. I know some people just jump off the deep end right into racing but it seems that many increase the committments of time/money/equipment to follow the faster and faster path. If you see road racing as a goal for a long time like I did, you finally get to school and ask "Am I really ready for this?" and more importantly considering some of the many VW's I've raced, wrecked, loved, crashed, rolled, burned, scarred and broken- "Will this damn thing hold together for that many track sessions?"
:unsure:

.... well, now there's a small part of me that wishes I hadn't tried it. Good Grief that has got to trounce any drug made. I cannot stop thinking about getting back on the track somewhere soon for more and more and more. I am completely ruined. That was by far one of the most fun weekends of my life. My little Rabbit held together with very few whacks of the hammer and the Kumho's held up fine. It was also real nice to have a pretty big group from my home region helping, instructing, cheering and crewing for my fellow region members and me. My instructor, Mike Havlick was a great guy and did as good a job as anyone could ask in an instructor and was very encouraging.

I like to think my past seat-time with other things really really helped me push the car hard. I had to tell myself several times- "Hey idiot, chill out, back off, and don't wreck the car at the friggin SCHOOL for christmas' sake!" I got in packs of cars and got a little too carried away sometimes haha.

anyway....another rookie on the block. hello everybody.

John Barnett
ITB '84 GTI
Huntsville, AL

pballance
02-18-2008, 09:21 PM
'bout time you "chirped" yellowhammer!

Welcome to the fray and I think the great moderators ought to start a "introduce yourself" thread. Sounds like a good idea to me. What say the group?

GKR_17
02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I will save that for another thread. :p Just get it done based on the real numbers you have so we can start building cars. Class it heavier than a E36 and it is DOA. ;)I can run ITO until 09!! Come on big guy--throw us a bone.

238 stock hp (revised down from Mazda). That's the real number, period, and should put it well heavier than the E36. 3000 lbs would be a gift. Other cars with less hp stock are speced far heavier than that. The standard formula puts it in the 3300 ballpark. Put it below 2800, as the Mazda biased folks want, and we can call it ITRotary. But as you said, this topic is better suited elsewhere.