PDA

View Full Version : Cone Style Air Intake Filters

gran racing
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm re-doing my intake system (my last version is less than ideal) and while doing so, am considering changing my intake filter. The one I currently have is a dry AEM cone filter. My engine builder recommended that I use a "wet" version. I have also heard people comment that there are better filters on the market, but for the life of me can not remember the name they referenced.

What type do you recommend? Have you ever done any dyno testing with various intake filters, and if so, what were the results? Does it also make sense to get the biggest filter I can find & will fit?

Thanks.

JimLill
02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Dyno testing may not tell the story as you don't get the effects of any road speed induced airflow. I use a Digital manometer to look at vacuum/pressure along the inlet tract. Vacuum is bad!

http://www.r-series.org/mano.jpg

JimLill
02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Let's assume you have the inlet side of the filter unrestricted (keep out the hot air please).... an ITx car will flow at most about 225 cfm. That's a good starting point. K&N for example gives some curves that tell you the sq in of filter media you need to flow that. In general, bigger is better. IIRC, a oiled K&N needs to be about 85 sq in to flow that with margin.

JimLill
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
You Honda probably runs about 130 cfm, so you can scale the filter size accordingly....

JimLill
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
My IIRC above was wrong........... a K&N flows 6 cfm / sq inch...........

but I'd use a filter 2X as big to assure no pressure drop with dirt etc.