PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Jetta Suspension Choices

rmicroys
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm in the market for a new suspension for my Mk2 Jetta.

I'd like to get something good. coil over, double adjustable, rebuildable, etc. Possibly if the opportunity exists, go remote resevoir. I know some of these features may not be available on IT rules cars... but just probing people's experience here.

important features of whatever I choose.
- cost of rebuilds
- ease of rebuilding (can I do it myself?)
- accessibility of rebuilder of the shock

secondary features which may influence what I get
- cost

I currently have coil over sleeves and run koni single adj in the front (not shortened) a bilstien HD in the rear which leads to a short shock life as the adjusters get pooched somehow on the fronts. I'm not that low that the shock bottoms out (at least not noticeable ON track at Mosport, Shannonville, Calabogie, Mt.Tremblant, etc) in normal conditions. Evidently it must at some point in time to damage it.

Suggestions?

markw
01-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Here is a tip regardless of what shocks you go with. Take a plastic tie-rap and place it around the shock rod. The shinny part. Push them down as far as you can and then set the car back on its tires. Raise the car again and that will show your ride height. Now you can go out and do some laps. See how far the tie raps get moved up. If you go off track. That session won't count. This will give you an idea of how much shock travel you are getting. We look for about an inch and a half. Less than that is fairly stiff.

rmicroys
01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
See how far the tie raps get moved up.

Certainly a good tip. Thanks... I'll try that the next time out... at this point I'm probably looking to replace the suspension anyway... I suppose I can do some just for the heck of it research on the old suspension the next time I go out with the car.