PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet Question

arpenn
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I am looking for a new helmet, of coarse my really nice motorcycle helmet won't work for racing. So anyway, I wear glasses which can be a fogging issue. I am concerned with a full face helmet with face shield that there won't be enough airflow through the helmet to keep it from fogging up. Anyway I ran across this helmet from G-Force which is full face but with no shield. It says its for people with glasses. Does anyone use one of these? Are there any issues with this type of helmet? Give me your thoughts.

wcmcarlos
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I tried to order this helmet for the RR Feb. drivers school,, but it was out of stock.
I need to wear glasses, and was convinced this was the way to go.
When this was not available, I ordered an open face instead, and regret it.
I have difficulty getting my glasses to fit, and they are decidedly uncomfortable.
Wish I had held out for the one you pictured.
Carlos

ddewhurst
01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I use a Simpson closed helmet while wearing glasses with no isues. If I'm a bit hyper as I'm going to grid with helmet & my glasses will fog up a bit so I recah up & pull my glasses down on my nose a bit. One finger push them back up & close the helmet.

racer_tim
01-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I have a Biffe now, and the eye hole is much smaller than with my old Bell M3 Star. I took off the shield of the Biffe and just have to remember the sequence for getting the helmet, belaclava, and glasses on and off.

The Biffe is soo tight, that my glasses don't even rest on my nose. They are held in place under the belaclava with my temples.

I have had some fogging issues in the rain, but that was like the other guy said, only driving slowly to grid. My video camera lens had the same problem. :blink: Once you leave grid, and the air starts to flow around inside the car, both my glasses and video camera lens cleared up.

Eagle7
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Get a full-face with visor with a large eyeport opening. You can always open the visor a little or a lot if you have issues, or even remove it entirely. Gives you more options. I like mine mostly closed and have rarely had an issue.

arpenn
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
If I go with this helmet will I be required to wear a belaclava? :(

spnkzss
01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I can't answer your glasses issue, but I will never race without a visor. In my first year of racing I had a rock come between the A-pillar and window net to catch me right in between the eyes going into turn 3 at Summit point. Had I not had a visor I would have definitely gone for a nice wild ride. I also never drive with is completely down, I like a little air movement so I keep in cracked.

TIFWIW

erlrich
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I have the Bell M2 and have never had a fogging problem. I also like the idea of the extra protection a visor affords, and just keep it one notch from closed when I'm on track (although I have to admit on really hot days I have run with it open). And no, you don't need a balaclava unless you have facial hair, but it's not a bad idea to use one anyway; on top of the extra protection they help keep your helmet liner clean.

Spanky - rocks at T3 at Summit? I can't believe that ;)

spnkzss
01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
And no, you don't need a balaclava unless you have facial hair, but it's not a bad idea to use one anyway; on top of the extra protection they help keep your helmet liner clean.

I meant to say that too. I know a few people that HAD to get a new helmet before their time was up ONLY because it stank so bad. There is an advantage to throwing a balaclava in the wash when you wash your suit.

tom_sprecher
01-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Get a full-face with visor with a large eyeport opening. You can always open the visor a little or a lot if you have issues, or even remove it entirely. Gives you more options. I like mine mostly closed and have rarely had an issue.

+1

I have a Bell M2 Forced Air and have had no problmes with fogging with or without air. It has a large eye opening for glasses. I leave the shield cracked open a bit just like on my bike at slow speeds. If you don't want air get the M2.

Wear a balaclava to protect you face and helmet. Burn scars are really ugly and hard to hide when they're on your face. :eek:

After looking for a link for you it looks like the M2 is being phased out by Bell. Too bad as it is a great helmet but you might be able to get some deals if you look hard enough.

arpenn
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Ok if I go with a full face with a shield, can anyone tell me if the G-Force Pro Force One or the Pyrotect Pro Airflow are any good? I haven't seen either helmet in person yet. The pyrotect has more vents in the front than the G-Force helmet does.

jay05
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
one more thing to consider. is there any chance that you can find a dealer near by to try the helmet on to make sure it will fit. different helmet brands may not fit the same. for me bell fits better than simpson. i've heard that on some people that bell helmets may put too much pressure on their forehead and the simpson brand fits them better or the simpson is too loose and the bell is good. the last thing you want 3 laps in, is a headache.

tom_sprecher
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
It is mandatory you try the helmet on.

erlrich
01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok if I go with a full face with a shield, can anyone tell me if the G-Force Pro Force One or the Pyrotect Pro Airflow are any good? I haven't seen either helmet in person yet. The pyrotect has more vents in the front than the G-Force helmet does.
I think either of those helmets would be fine from a protection standpoint, but I would stongly suggest you find a shop that sells them and go try them on before you order one. Yes, you can get used to anything, but as I found out when I tried on several helmets from Bell and Pyrotect, even different models, in the same size from the same manufacturer, will fit differently. When you start looking at 2 or 3 different manufacturers you are really going to notice some differences.

Edit: dammit, I can't even finish ahead of a stinkin' IT7! :)

spnkzss
01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
You can't ALWAYS get used to something. Sometimes a helmet can push on just the right pressure point and cause a headache (which I think someone else said earlier).

+1 for the must try on

arpenn
01-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I plan to try them on. Saferacer is about 1 1/2 hours from my house. I will have to take a road trip and try some of this stuff on. I don't think they carry Pyrotect though. I agree that different helmets fit differently. All my motorcycle helmets are KBC, they fit me very well. I really like the Pyrotect helmet I just can't find any place around me that has them. My sources are pretty limited here in S.W. Missouri.

steve b
01-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Bell has an M4 which is just like the M2 but has a larger opening for people who wear glasses. I got mine from saferacer for about $389.00. They also have an M4 Pro which is much more expensive. So if you find that one first, keep looking.

I run with the visor up until I get out on the track and then flip it down about 3/4s. I ran twice on cold rainy days and had no fogging issues once on track.

lateapex911
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
You MUST try whatever you buy on first. They do't all fit the same, and the sizes mean something, but not enough to know much.

It is far better to get a cheap helmet that fits than a great helmet that doesn't.

Matter of fact, in many cases, cheap helmets are more appropriate for our racing, but that's another story. (And no, thats not a joke about how dumb we are!)

tom_sprecher
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Edit: dammit, I can't even finish ahead of a stinkin' IT7! :)

Obviously, you have not seen me on the track.

I run with the visor up until I get out on the track and then flip it down about 3/4s. I ran twice on cold rainy days and had no fogging issues once on track.

+1 upon further reflection.

Grumpa
01-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Saferacer is closing out the M2 on their site for $399. It has a large opening with a shield - I'll repeat the opinion of having a shield to keep objects out of your eyes. I bought an Bell M4 from SR last year and could not believe how much lighter the helmet is compared to my old Bell Sport, at least a third less weight. I have also heard it said that if you have a round noggin, Bell is the better fit. Simpson works well for an oval shape. Read the fine print about wearing a balaclava - I think Bell, Simpson, etc. tell you either a 1/8 or 1/4 size bigger helmet for fitment.

Darryl Pritchett
01-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I use the G-Force you were originally looking at and love it. I wear a pair of Oakley sunglasses with it and when racing in Florida when its extremely hot it does let more air in.

RacerBill
01-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I bought a Bell M4 last year - large eye port. I wear glasses and a balaclava and the only issue I have is with the size of the eyeport in the hood. Fogging has not been an issue, even in September at MO when the weather was very damp. The only fogging issue I ever had was indoor carting in the winter (Bell AR1), and that was solved by cracking the shield a little.

Edit: ditto everything everone said about fitig the helmet. I would NEVER by a helmet mail order (unless I was replacingan older helmet with a new one of EXACTLY the same style. If I use the guidelines for measuring my head, I come up with a medium size. however the helmet that fits is an extra large!