PDA

View Full Version : Mid Ohio WOR games up in the air

xr4racer
01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
According to the RE of Western Ohio Region the WOR games will not be the first weekend in October but they are trying to get a date.

Edited because the original post was wrong

TAC
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
WOR actually had a great turnout last year due to the fact so many national drivers decided not to go to the runoffs. Mid Ohio did reserve their traditional October date, I'm not sure what happened after that. :(

Todd

R2 Racing
01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Great, so the Great Lakes Division has just shrunk its season even more. We already had a rediculously short season and over a month between our last race and the ARRC, and now it'll be even worse. Lame.

Is WOR going to add a race somewhere else? So is there only going to be one GLDiv Championship event at Mid Ohio next year? Wow. We use to have four. Again, lame.

Racerlinn
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
No WOR games this year at MO. The high rental claims another victim. Scheduling against the Runoffs did not help.

matt

Matt, I had already heard this,but as a rumor.
Do you have this as a statement fact from an offical of WOR or GLDIV?

RacerBill
01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
50% reduction in division championship events, 29% reduction in the number of IT races! Actually, very close to two months between the Autum Classic and the ARRC!

Bah, humbug!

Rabbit07
01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
This is why I am racing in the Southeast this winter! Sebring, Road Atlanta, VIR, and no snow and ice :D

downingracing
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM

I've got no statement of fact from anyone 'official'... However, I did hear this same thing from someone who should know what is going on. I've been waiting to see what happens (or is made public) before commenting. Copied from the Mid-Ohio website for the club racing schedule: "The 2008 Club Schedule has not been finalized yet. Please check back at a later date!"

I've got WOR Games on my schedule of races to do in 08. I'm not taking it off until I see the official schedule and that weekend is missing... :)

downingracing
01-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I've heard other things too (about Mid-Ohio), but (again) want to wait until I have all the information before saying anything. Don't want to start 'trouble' if the info I have isn't 100% correct... I'll post what I know here if/when it is confirmed and I can share it.

On a lighter note, I will be at Indy... We are going to try to bring the car home in one piece this year! :eclipsee_steering:

Racerlinn
01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Great, so the Great Lakes Division has just shrunk its season even more. We already had a rediculously short season and over a month between our last race and the ARRC, and now it'll be even worse. Lame.

Is WOR going to add a race somewhere else? So is there only going to be one GLDiv Championship event at Mid Ohio next year? Wow. We use to have four. Again, lame.

<cough> there's a Champ Series Double Regional the weekend of Sept. 27-28 <cough>
:)

Racerlinn
01-18-2008, 04:46 PM

50% reduction in division championship events, 29% reduction in the number of IT races! Actually, very close to two months between the Autum Classic and the ARRC!

Bah, humbug!

<cough> there's a Champ Series Double Regional the weekend of Sept. 27-28 <cough>
<cough, cough> at ORP <cough,cough>
:)

TAC
01-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Steve,

I can confirm that the traditional WOR date has been taken over by NE Ohio Porsche club. WOR's race chairman (Steve Coletti) is talking to Mid Ohio about another date. This is the info presented by our R.E. at the last Cincy BOD meeting Tuesday night.

Todd

Catch22
01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I plan to head down to Barber in Birmingham on Labor Day weekend. Then nothing until the ARRC.

If you haven't been to Barber... GO!!!
One of the best tracks in the country. Maybe better than Mid O.

steve demeter
01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Speaking as RE of WOR, I can unequivocally say that as of this date WOR Games is most definitely NOT cancelled.

As far as any rumors about Mid Ohio, please leave it that there was a breakdown in communication between MO and WOR.

Do not read anything other than that into it, cause that is all there is.

We are working very hard to secure a date at MO or another venue.

Please, if the WOR Games does get cancelled, it wil be released by WOR.

There are already enough rumore out there about all kinds of stuff.

If it becomes fact, WOR will be the first to announce it.

Steve Demeter

lateapex911
01-19-2008, 05:48 PM
What does WOR stand for?

x1/9racer
01-19-2008, 06:37 PM
What does WOR stand for?
Western Ohio Region.

x1/9racer
01-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey, Steve Demeter. Now that you're officially a member of ImprovedTouring.com, does that mean you are ready to give up on the formula car and buy an IT ride?:D

gpeluso
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Steve,
I bet Beaverun has an open date that weekend. They just lost a NASA date this year and have very few races. I know this maybe to far away.

Greg

xr4racer
01-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Steve, I received an email from people who supposedly know what is going on and it was worded that WOR games was cancelled for this year. What it obviously should have said was the WOR games will not be on that particular date at Mid Ohio. I still think the October date sucks (mainly because I can not go). Good Luck on getting another date at Mid Ohio.

matt

tom91ita
01-21-2008, 12:37 AM
could the title of this thread be revised so that it is not quite so misleading?

xr4racer
01-21-2008, 01:18 AM
I tried but I can't

matt

lateapex911
01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Is "up in the air" better?

R2 Racing
01-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I still think the October date sucks (mainly because I can not go).

I loved that date. For several years in a row now we've had sunny skies and cool air, which made for very fast lap times. It also was perfect for me leading up to the ARRC. I got one last chance to take the car out to a track I know like the back of my hand. I knew if the car was right or not. Then if it wasn't, I had a month to get it ready before the ARRC.

Steve - I know that you guys have the second double at ORP. It doesn't look like I'll be at the May one (probably doing VIR the following weekend), so maybe I'll be at that later one. I just don't like the idea of using that track as my last test before the ARRC. Things can go very wrong there very quickly.

downingracing
01-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Any update on this event?

Racerlinn
01-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Other than it's officially been removed from the GLDiv schedule, I've heard no other updates from them.

TAC
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Other than it's officially been removed from the GLDiv schedule, I've heard no other updates from them.

No contact about running ORP?

downingracing
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Just waiting for an 'official' update... :)

xr4racer
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Since I started this thread, I am hearing Nelson Ledges as a possibility. I hope they do the WOR games somewhere as I hate to see long standing traditions go down the tubes.

matt

x1/9racer
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Went to the Western Ohio board meeting last night, looks like they have some dates offered for Nelson for WOR games. Unfortunately, 2 of those dates are for May, which I think would be a good option, but things would have to start happening pretty fast for that to happen, and the other two dates are for the weekend before and the weekend after the OVR regional at Mid-Ohio, either of which would probably be a disaster as far as car count.

Racerlinn
02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Went to the Western Ohio board meeting last night, looks like they have some dates offered for Nelson for WOR games. Unfortunately, 2 of those dates are for May, which I think would be a good option, but things would have to start happening pretty fast for that to happen, and the other two dates are for the weekend before and the weekend after the OVR regional at Mid-Ohio, either of which would probably be a disaster as far as car count.

May seems like a bad choice. You'll end up a week away from one of the other Double Regionals (of which currently there are only a total of 5) on our already goofy Regional schedule.
And racing on Mother's Day is never a good thing (we've faced that before).
Of course, going the weekend before or after a M-O event sucks too (been there, done that as well).
Sheesh. How about a nice mid-June date..... :(

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

x1/9racer
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
As I understand it, nothing available in June, which is kind of weird, it seems like we never have any events in June. Why is that?

AjG
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
The later May date(not Mom's day) might be a good one. It would be the first race at Nelson and the fisrt one after the school in April.
There are quite a few races at Nelson though...I seem to remember the Golden Harvest being a little light on entries last year. I don't know if regions ever team up but what about some kind of Harvest/WOR combo, it would be in Oct just like WOR games and maybe get more cars for the GH. ?

dhardison
02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Per the Great Lakes Division website:

02/28/2008: The WOR Games event has been added to the schedule. It will be held at Nelson Ledges on 8/30 and 8/31 with a PDX on 8/29.

jay05
02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Busy 3 consecutive weeks. Longest day, WOR Games, then OVR at M/O. With the cost of living I need to decide which one I'm going to. WOR and OVR are just too close for the bank account.

vinnyvtek
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
All
The members of WOR Region are happy to announce that the WOR games for 2008 will be held at Nelson Ledges this year we are going to make this a great event keep watching the forums for updates or contact me directly I will be on every day from now till the event !
Thanks
Steve Colletti
WOR Games Chair:happy204: