PDA

View Full Version : miata maintinance question

dazzlesa
01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
i have a 1994 miata with 25k original miles on the car. it lived in florida its whole life. when do you change the timing belt. what else does this car need replaced?

Andy Bettencourt
01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't think you would need anything more than a fluid change. 60K mile TB interval...or immediately if you are building a racecar.

joeg
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Don't think so Andy. Even on a daily driver 25,000 divided by 14 years means that puppy does not get much exercise so anything rubber (belts, hoses, tires, bushings,tires, etc) could be getting a bit stiff and cracked.

It is probably a great candidate for a race car since all that stuff would be changed out.

Wreckerboy
01-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Rick, Mazda specs a 60K interval for the t-belt. It is not an interference motor.

Given that it is a 14 year old car with low miles, it is a safe bet that the accessory belts are somewhat less than fresh as are most of the hoses. You've got to go past the water pump to do the t-belt, so this would be a good time to freshen it as well. I just went through this with the 85K mile '90 I bought last year - two easy days of work in the shop and about $400 in parts (I basically replaced every hose under the hood because they were all hard as rocks, did a tune up, brakes, and a zillion little things) netted me a trouble-free driver for over 10,000 miles so far.

If you aren't already, join Mazdaspeed, get yourself to Miatanet and cross shop replacement parts at Trussville.

dazzlesa
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
can someone remind me how to adjust the timing. i seem to remeber the crank angle sensor. if so what bolts have to be loosen. thanks rick

ddewhurst
02-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Rick, I'm just getting familar with the Miata so here is what I know.

A. Set idle speed to recomended.

B. Implement your type timming light per mfg. instructions to number one cylinder.

C. Within the diagnostic connector insert a jumper wire between terminals TEN and GND.

D. Warm engine to operating temp.

E. If timming required loosen one bolt on the CAS (crank angle sensor) & adjust to timming marks.

F. Remove jumper, operate throttle to confirm that timming advances.

rhygin
02-14-2008, 07:36 PM
I have bookmarked this page as I have been there more than a few times...

http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html

Have fun!!!

billf
02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
An extremely simple way to secure the cam sprockets in proper relationship to one another is to use..........................

A nylon tie strap!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy204:

Place the strap thru the adjacent cutouts in the sprockets when they are positioned on the index marks.

Just did the job, and used it. The belt can be placed on the sprockets, adjusted for tension and made ready for rotation with the strap in place, then just cut to remove.

The cost factor is really close to ideal!!

Hope this helps someone.

Good racing.

Bill:024:

rhygin
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Bill... no kidding... I did a similar zip tie technique... looked pretty mickey mouse, but it worked!