PDA

View Full Version : Permanent link for "today's posts?"

JoshS
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I actually really liked the old software. It was better than any other forum software I've ever used at tracking what I'd read and what I hadn't.

Looks like the new software knows when I last visited, but not what I did when I last visited.

Anyway, the most useful way to read this new software, in my opinion, is with the "today's posts" link under the "quick links" menu. It shows you the most recent posts anywhere on the forum, and also shows you which ones are new since you last visited. You can get the stuff that you didn't read last time, as well as the stuff that's new since you were last here.

However, this is not a link you can bookmark or even just "refresh" in your browser. Each time you click it, it generates a new search with a new URL. Any fix for that? I wish there were a link at the top of every page that just ran this search, and that the URL that the browser sees for that link was fixed (so that refreshing the browser actually got new data.)

webmaster
01-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I'l look into this but for now the ony static link I know of that will do anything like you want is to link to the home page: http://www.improvedtouring.com/

The most recent posts are shown in the center column.

Greg Amy
01-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Josh, in vBulletin I navigate two basic ways:

One, near top center, I use the "New Posts" link. Shows me...well, you get it.

Two, under "Quick Links" I use the "Mark Forums Read" link. "De-bolds" everything so that the next time I select "New Posts" I only get the new stuff. - GA

JoshS
01-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Greg. I understand. It's too bad that it's inferior to the old software. In that software, at any time, you could look at "active topics" (I think that's what it was called) and it showed you the latest threads, sorted by activity date. But also on each thread line, there was the little icon that took you to the first unread post in that thread. And it really was the first unread post, not the first one since the last time you visited the site.

The problem with the "mark forums read" thing is that most likely, the whole forum isn't actually read. It should automatically mark what I read as read, and leave stuff that I haven't read as unread. I don't understand why the more modern, more common software can't get this stuff right. There is just no good "home page" in vBulletin for that reason.

But there are a lot of things that are great here, like the automatic e-mail notification when there's activity in a thread I've posted to ... and the e-mail actually contains the post contents. Mucho better.

Anyway, I didn't want to debate the merits and demerits of vBulletin, I just wondered if there's some magic way to get it to do something closer to the right thing.

Thanks to both of you, especially to Mr. Webmaster who selflessly does a ton of work to maintain this site and doesn't take any credit for it.

webmaster
01-15-2008, 12:20 AM
>> and doesn't take any credit for it.

Oh I'll take full credit for it! But what exactly that get's me, I dont know. :blink:
Maybe in heaven I get a seat between Hans Stuck & Colin Chapman? :smilie_pokal: