PDA

View Full Version : IT7 in the Northeast

moto62
01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
I heard that IT7 is now a reality in the Northeast. Haven't seen any topics on this as yet. If it is so, then its about time. Too bad this was not adopted about six years ago when there was a plethora of 7's competing for mid pack bragging rights in ITA. That was a great time mind you. I only know of a few drivers that are still driving 7's, and a couple more that still have their 7's but are planning, or are already doing something else. Question is, should we expect to see a few more 7's get dusted off, pulled out of the barn, reverted back from being a front lawn centerpiece flower pot(redneck humour) :D, and be put back into action? The big question is, who is planning on running IT7? :eclipsee_steering:

Andy Bettencourt
01-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Just for the record, IT7 is an official NARRC class for 2008 and it will run in the same run group as ITA, SSB, SSC, and T3.

I hope to see 4-5 cars consistantly...we may build one for a crew guy for 2009.

mlytle
01-06-2008, 10:43 PM
there are about 6-7 of them that run in the MARRS series. too bad the SRX7's regularly kick their butt... :rolleyes:

gran racing
01-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I know Grant was going to build a different car (some type of car that actually has power?), but with IT7 he'll be staying with the RX7s.

dickita15
01-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Right now I the regular players are Mike B, Dave F, Lou I, Jake, Grant and Myself. Dave Y had twins in October so I doubt we will see him often this year. Grant is building a second car. Dave F has two spare cars in stock, ex Sandy and ex Dan.

I would expect the first time I get a win 10 people will say “I can beat him and build cars”. :D

Andy which one of your guys is thinking about it? Let us know if you need anything.

Greg Amy
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I just wish I knew IT7 was to be a reality, back when these cars were being sold at scrap-rate prices...I think this would be a heck of a fun class.

lateapex911
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Now, if we can get Madison Bolden, (my favorite cop evar) to get off his boat and back in his car, and the guy who bought the black RX-7 just to then decide it wasn't competitive enough so he bought an ITA BMW Z3, (Hurry Rob, THAT was a setup for YOU!), and Norm-pushing-up-Latulips on the track, we'd have some fun!

JeffYoung
01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
SE Div boys in IT7 have a lot of fun racing those cars. They wring lap times out of them that are still somewhat competitive in A. Good group, race hard, have fun. Hope it works for you guys in the NEDIv as well.

I co-drove one to my only win with RObert Mitchell at Lowe's in 05. Ton of fun. Once it got wound up, the car would scoot....

mlytle
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
it does look like a fun group. i have raced an SRX7 several times and being able to make all the IT legal mods to the car would make it a blast!

Weaver7
01-07-2008, 05:17 PM
If this were the case a couple of years ago probably would have kept our 1st gen :dead_horse: .....but the 2nd gen is a blast drive!!! Our car actually went down south to run in IT7. We did however manage a win at Beaver run due the torential rain storm...I do remember jake at NH a few years ago doing the samething in his 7! :happy204:

Bill Weaver
ITS RX7 #63

moto62
01-07-2008, 11:18 PM
So... there are still quite a few 7's racers out there. It would be awesome if most of them showed up at the same event. That could potentially be a great show. Good competitive racing would certainly attract more competitors to the class and this will also be more inviting for newbies as the 7 has been the car of choice for the beginner. I'll get to watch as the racing will still be limited for me but I will definetely come to spectate more often. Maybe I may need to build another 7. Hmmmmm! Nah!
Is it April yet?

Weaver7
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey there Ray good to see you back on here! What ever happened to your old car?

dpc
01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I can't believe that Grant is still using that engine, When is he going to use the new one that Ray built, that ole one has a ton of miles on it, had those miles on it when I bought it. Great to see interest in first generations again. Have a great seaseon everyone. Ray just make sure you bring that great looking crew chief with you.....dave

lateapex911
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Grant keeps using it, and the carb...both are untouched, and rumour has it, he just figures he'll leave well enough alone, right Grant?

I know you're out there Grant!

BTW, Grant, we got a formal request for the inclusion of Camaros and Mustnags in ITR. So send a support letter if you like. Here, I'll make it easy on you:

[email protected]

Greetings CRB-

I am writing to support the inclusion of Mustangs and Camaros into the ITR class as has been recently proposed. I feel there are a lot of readily available cars to build at reasonable prices, and a large pool of track day participants already driving these cars that would like to get into road racing. Not having a place for them to race at a reasonable level of expense is letting potential racers look elsewhere for their fun.
Thankyou,
Grant McStay
ITA NE competitor.

Just right click, choose "copy" and paste it in your email....See, that was easy, right? ;)

We did however manage a win at Beaver run due the torential rain storm...I do remember jake at NH a few years ago doing the samething in his 7! :happy204:

Bill Weaver
ITS RX7 #63 [/b]

Every car has it's day, Bill. But, for the first gen RX-7 to win in a solid ITA field, that day must have biblical rain, LOL.

RP Performance
01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
They ran IT7 in the DC region for the last two years. I have a car that I hope to run a few races next year in a freinds car that I built back in the late 90's. I tried to run the car at the end of last year but we found that the previous owner had illegal rotor housings and never told anyone when he sold the car. I am rebuilding it and hope to run a few events in 08. Down here in DC we have the SRX7 class and can get as many as 25 to 30 cars.

mlytle
01-08-2008, 10:06 PM
They ran IT7 in the DC region for the last two years. I have a car that I hope to run a few races next year in a freinds car that I built back in the late 90's. I tried to run the car at the end of last year but we found that the previous owner had illegal rotor housings and never told anyone when he sold the car. I am rebuilding it and hope to run a few events in 08. Down here in DC we have the SRX7 class and can get as many as 25 to 30 cars.
[/b]

it was fast bret! looking forward to seeing you running it this year!

marshall

lateapex911
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
........ I tried to run the car at the end of last year but we found that the previous owner had illegal rotor housings and never told anyone when he sold the car. ............ [/b]

I have heard that story sooooo many times. Nice, huh? "Here's your car...very fast, enjoy"...the seller says, laughing all the way to the bank. I have to say, if I bought such a car, and found illegal rotor housings or it ws ported, that seller would regret he ever knew me.

Of course, a little porting goes a long way from what I've seen.

dominojd
01-09-2008, 05:48 PM
[/b]

Isn't that some sort of Gentlemens agreement? ;)

dickita15
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
There is no agreement and who are you calling a gentleman. :bash_1_:

I have heard the term southern gentleman used in casual conversation though.

dominojd
01-09-2008, 07:36 PM
who are you calling a gentleman. :bash_1_:

[/b]

Definately not you. I wouldn't want to ruin your image. ;)

lateapex911
01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
For once, I know better than to say anything.

dominojd
01-09-2008, 07:54 PM
For once, I know better than to say anything.
[/b]

I like Jake, he's funny. :birra:

dickita15
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I like Jake, he's funny. :birra:
[/b]
funny odd or funny ha ha :rolleyes:

Greg Amy
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
funny odd or funny ha ha :rolleyes:[/b]
Yes.

lateapex911
01-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Yes.

[/b]

Pot, meet kettle...........

moto62
01-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey there Ray good to see you back on here! What ever happened to your old car?
[/b]

The old 7 went to Lou I. Here in the NER. I bet he is excited about IT7.

Whatever happened to the mazda cup, or throne, or belt? Are you folks still doing that little series? Oh yeah! I know where the belt is. A certain Sheppard refused to let it go. It's like Gollum in LOTR. Myyyyy Precious!!! :lol:

funny odd or funny ha ha[/b]

How about odly funny

It must be April. It's 65degs and Rainy out.

RP Performance
01-10-2008, 08:21 AM
I have heard that story sooooo many times. Nice, huh? "Here's your car...very fast, enjoy"...the seller says, laughing all the way to the bank. I have to say, if I bought such a car, and found illegal rotor housings or it ws ported, that seller would regret he ever knew me.

[/b]

That is what happend on this car but it was not ported. The engine has all stock housings but the rotor housings are the old 12A turbo units from Japan. There was a 12A turbo first gen sold in Japan and they had larger exhaust ports. It does kinda suck that the guy that sold the car said nothing until asked about it after we ran the car. While the car was pretty fast I believe that it still will be pretty quick with the stock leagal housings.

MKB
01-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I know where the throne is..............

And whats all this talk about working on the engine and carb.?????? Am I goping to have to open my hood and do some work now? Not sure i like were this is headed!

Mike B.
#29 ner IT7 (i think)

RSTPerformance
01-10-2008, 10:58 AM
It would be interesting to see IT7 rules mimick those proposed ITB class changes (weight & Wheel sizes) to see how they actually would compair. It would also make for some fun racing if they were grouped in with the ITS/ITB boys/girls and it might even out the group sizes.

Just a thought;

Raymond

gran racing
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Heck, forget about making them change wheel sizes, and add weight. It would be a blast to have them in our group. I can picture myself now while on grid....So where's that smurf RX7? :P Then again, I've followed Jakes car once and it scared me with all of those flames shooting out of the exhaust followed by a huge booom!

Doc Bro
01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Then again, I've followed Jakes car once and it scared me with all of those flames shooting out of the exhaust followed by a huge booom!
[/b]

Don't forget all the oil on the windscreen :D .....sorry Jake I couldn't resist!!

R

lateapex911
01-10-2008, 01:29 PM
hey, listen, I've fixed that problem. I've added the Acme Flame Away and the oil seems to be getting burned up before it even gets to the following car!

(Which proves the benefit of reading mags like "This Old British Car", where I first saw the ad for the Acme product. Once I cleared up that pesky issue with the rear of the car catching fire, it's been smooooth sailing!)

7racing
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Whatever happened to the mazda cup, or throne, or belt? Are you folks still doing that little series? Oh yeah! I know where the belt is. A certain Sheppard refused to let it go. It's like Gollum in LOTR. Myyyyy Precious!!![/b]

Hmmm.....I know RIGHT where the old belt is. I walked past it just last week. I suspect someone could grab it on their way out the door.....

Interesting.

Dano77
01-13-2008, 10:37 PM
To which belt are you refering to exactly? I have no recollection of any wrong doing,or misplacing of any "belts" . My 7 used to use a 7350 gates if thats what you mean. I strongly urge Mr Lee Chee to make a trip north to search the room in question,you too Mr Sheppard,AKA "the other one". The big issue is Jake may become perturbed if the "junkyard wars" start again. But you may see cameo apperances from time to time.
Dano, Nobody Cheats In SPO

Scott Nutter
01-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Dang, yins will all have 4 races in before there is one at my local track(s) [Neslon, BeaveRun].
300 miles to Pocono or 625 to NHIS, is Pocono worth the drive?

I've been doing some traveling for work, and will be thru the spring, any body ever run at Lowes or Carolina Motorsports Park? I've been to CMP to watch a NASA event, seems interesting if flat on the viewable section.

1st gen Rx7 racer my entire racing career, except an afternoon, and then a 24 hr fling with a dark skinned german.

JeffYoung
01-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Lowe's cancelled this year. We like CMP, the back half actually has some elevation change and is fun. Come on down, lots of IT7s show up.

ddewhurst
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Teaser, two 4:88 LDS............

Guys, if anyone has interest in 1st gen stuff I have a 82 1st gen RX-7 with absoulutly ZERO rust which I had shiped to Wisconsin from Oregon. 3 12A's, 5 transmissions, a couple drive shafts, 6 large axles, 4 doors & a complet front end along wuith some other OEM stuff.

Have Fun ;)
David

ps: A Miata is reeeeally fun to drive.:023:

CaptainWho
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
We love CMP and have turned a lot of laps there, racing and doing driver's ed. They're almost done with a reconfiguration that should make the second half of the course flow a lot better. Can't wait to run in March or May (or both).

Jake
02-03-2008, 01:32 PM
So can I run in IT7?

Not interested in bringing my knife to a gunfight if all the other knives have left!

gran racing
02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
If you put an RX7 body on that MR2, maybe they'd let you play. Besides, are you too busy with your drifting?

ITS5GB
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
At Waterford Hills we seemed to have always had a pretty good turnout for IT7 right up until last year. They are fun and cheap, cheap, cheap to buy, maintain, and drive. There are several that are successful locally here(Rich Millers CenDiv championship car, Bruce Wentzels Waterford championship car, and Bob Cross's #99 that held(hold's?)track records at several CenDiv tracks in IT7) that will be coming up for sale(probably in the $3400 to $4500 range). Keep your eyes open for these in the classifieds in the not too distant future or shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with the owners.

ronin12
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me:()

moto62
02-17-2008, 11:55 AM
a question of curiosity, so if someone was looking to get invovled in racing(the racing part of it-I already flag) would the IT-7 class would be a good starting point? I had originally thought of ITC, but the numbers seem to be getting smaller(plus i am a fan of Mazdas) so this class seems interesting and the prices for cars is around my ballpark. Can anyone offer any more info in regards to issues for the vehicle and maintanence and stuff( I know it is a little off topic but I am new so forgive me:()

Not so much the class, IT whatever, but the RX-7 has been a favorite among newbies due to the fact that they are fairly inexpensive to purchase and to maintain, and are a lot of fun to drive. There is always some loyalty, almost a cult, amongst 7's drivers which makes the group helpful to one another, wether it means sharing info or a needed part. The 7 still has my vote, not only as a starter car, but since there is IT7, u can run the thing forever now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for.

dickita15
02-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Ron I think it would be a good place to start. Even with the car in ITA it was a good choice. As you said the cars are fairly priced and the knowledge base is there. This may be one of the most thoughly developed car in IT. The guys who race them are free with advice. There are I think 4 guys in Ct who are regularly racing them, plus I am just a mile from the line.
Parts are getting a little harder as the cars get older but some of us have been hording parts cars.
There are some maintenance items, but they are well known. You will become a whiz at repacking front bearings and checking brakes. Good motors are not cheap but last a long time.
If you want to stop up to my shop sometime (near Springfield) and go over one of our cars let me know.

ronin12
02-17-2008, 01:35 PM
thanks for the input. I wanted to stick with a mazda(have a couple) and thought about the spec miata or even the ita miata but have found those cars to be a little further from my price range. This season i plan on reading a book put out by a fellow forum member, crewing for a friend who is running in spu to learn the daily things during an event and start saving my pennies.
Thank you for the offer, I might take you up on it, either that or at one of the events might stop by your paddock area. I will be doing a lot more research this year.

JLawton
02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Ron,
Plus, the ITA guys in the Northeast are a good group of guys. One of the most competitive in the country but GREAT people. You'll get plenty of help and support at the track and a bunch of us in central CT.