PDA

View Full Version : Delrin Bushings on MK1

Sandro
01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
When using Delrin bushings for the Control Arms in theory what pivots on what?

A. Arm with Bushing and sleeve pivot on 12mm Bolt
B. Arm with Bushing pivots on Sleeve and sleeve stays stationary with 12mm bolt holding it
C. Arm Pivots on Bushing, while Bushing and Sleeve remain Stationary.

I am assuming its B :bash_1_:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_1663.jpg

JimLill
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
When using Delrin bushings for the Control Arms in theory what pivots on what?
[/b]

Just look at how the stock rubber one works......... "A"

and if your inner sleeve is aluminum, it'll wear

pfcs49
01-06-2008, 07:23 PM
You're both right, but the answer is B

JimLill
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
You're both right, but the answer is B
[/b]

so Delrin unit works different than stock........... who sells delrin ones?

Sandro
01-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I am now thinking it is option C

I went and put the arm in the Vise using the bolt and a spacer to simulate it being bolted to the car. When the bolt is tight the sleeve can't pivot because thats what the bolt gets torqued down onto, thus I beleive eliminating option A.

When I twisted the arm, the arm moved and everything else stayed, such as option C.

Anyone else think this is right?

jimbbski
01-07-2008, 12:09 AM
The way it should work is "B". If your test in the vise caused the bushing to lock to the vist then the bushing is to wide. I have used Polyurethane and Delin for bushings, some purchased and some home made. I always made sure that the bushing is not "tight" when I install it on the car with the bolt tight. If I have to "shave" the sides so be it. It's sort of a trial fit, shave, fit, shave, fit, until it's just right. Not loose and not tight. You also have to lube the sides. I usually drill and fit grease fitting to my bushing housings so I can grease them on the car. I even maching the steel sleeves on a lathe to form grooves for the grease to travel in.

Gary L
01-07-2008, 11:14 AM
You also have to lube the sides. I usually drill and fit grease fitting to my bushing housings so I can grease them on the car.
[/b] Hmmm... it would probably never be protested, but depending on exact configuration, the rules nerd in me says this could be construed as illlegal. I considered doing this to my upper and lower control arms, but decided it constituted a modification to the arms themselves, which is not allowed. Was I being overly cautious?

joeg
01-07-2008, 03:04 PM
bushings are free

keycom
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
bushings are free
[/b]

I believe Gary L was speaking of the retrofitted grease zerks, not the bushings.

Gary L
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I believe Gary L was speaking of the retrofitted grease zerks, not the bushings. [/b] Correct... I was talking about just the quoted portion of jimbbski's post.

JimLill
01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
A. Arm with Bushing and sleeve pivot on 12mm Bolt
B. Arm with Bushing pivots on Sleeve and sleeve stays stationary with 12mm bolt holding it
C. Arm Pivots on Bushing, while Bushing and Sleeve remain Stationary.
[/b]

I'll retract all my original comments............ if I understand this correctly:

- stock rubber and urethane do C

- delrin does B

or am I still confused :unsure:

pfcs49
01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
with a rubber bushing, nothing "pivots" on anything; the bushing remains attached inner and outer, and the rubber deforms, ergo B & C might describe stock function. Semantics

JimLill
01-07-2008, 09:09 PM
with a rubber bushing, nothing "pivots" on anything; the bushing remains attached inner and outer, and the rubber deforms, ergo B & C might describe stock function. Semantics
[/b]

OK, makes sense.......... didn't think the rubber needed to "work" that hard......... Thanks

Sandro
01-08-2008, 12:21 AM
think I have come up with a solution. Just use spherical Bearings then I know what pivots and what doesn't :026:

joeg
01-08-2008, 09:18 AM
nylatron can work--no need to grease