PDA

View Full Version : SARRC/MARRS

JeffYoung
01-02-2008, 12:29 AM
All is not quiet on this front....just wanted to give everyone an update.

I've spoken with some of the NCR leadership, and was told the following:

1. NCR is open to ANY proposed changes in run groups to make this work for MARRS.

2. The three day event, for many, many reasons, is very difficult to make work. A race at VIR is extraordinarily expensive, and a third track rental day makes it very difficult economically for the region to host the event. Additionally, the track did very well on the Friday test day (250 cars, at $250/pop - do the math) -- enough so that the track may not even allow a three day if we could afford it. Last, a single sprint race is simply not doable. There is no way to generate enough revenue from the lower entry fee to pay for a two day track rental for a single race.

3. NCR has attendance numbers to show that the two day events have been better attended than the three day events.

4. There is talk - nothing confirmed -- that even if there is not a MARRS sanction for the May event, NCR will separately score the MARRS folks from the SARRC folks if that is what the MARRS drivers who do attend would prefer.

So, I think the bottom line is that, for 2009, NCR is willing to do just about anything possible with the run groups, including adding one if need be, in order to make SARRC/MARRS happen again. However, it appears that a three day event is not in the offing.

With that as background, and once I get the ITR spreadsheet clean up finished this weekend, I'll take Earl's spreadsheet on run groups and draft a short proposal to go to NCR leadership with a reshuffling of those groups to help alleviate the concerns the MARRS drivers expressed. I would hope that the MARRS drivers who wish to see this event continue will take my proposal -- modifying it as they see fit -- and send it to their leadership as well.

Thanks for the spirited discussion on this. I do believe that there is a core group committed to continuing this event -- which to me is one of the premier amateur road racing events in the country.

Thanks.

Jeff

evanwebb
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like NCR is really trying to make it happen, kudos to them. I hope it happens as a SARRC/MARRS in 2009. In any case, I plan to be there in 2008 anyway as a crazy MARRS guy crashing the SARRC party :D