PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer tie down options?

jlucas
01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Here's the new to us trailer setup that came as a package with the SpecE30.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/jplucas/DSC08415Medium.jpg

When using the tie downs as shown with SpecE30 instead of the Integra, the straps interfere with the front lip spoiler unless you get a wheel spoke at the perfect down angle. That's how the previous owner towed it.
a) I don't like going to wheel spokes.
b ) It's a factory spoiler so it's a bitch to remove for loading & unloading; dozen clips that like to break when you try to take it off
c) the SpecE30 has a soft nylon stow strap so that's not a place to tie down to for towing.

Looking for alternate ideas to tie down the front like:
1) move the tie down rings closer - should reduce the strap interference
2) e-track under the front wheels; but I'm not sure how there would be room to cinch it down, any ideas on that?
3) ???
other ideas?

We'd also like to make better use of the space between the car & cabinets so moving the straps back in the trailer would be great.

tom_sprecher
01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Are there any suspension components or points on the frame you could pick up instead?

lateapex911
01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Jeremy, see my response over on RR/AX. Basically, move the front pickups closer, keep the straps short, either over the tires or to the suspension/pickup points, use fixed lengths (or straps without ratchets adjusted to proper length,) in the front, and use rear ratcheting straps for tensioning.

jlucas
01-01-2008, 04:54 PM
yeah, fixed length front straps are a good option

Bob Roth
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Have you looked at using the car's front tow hooks? Here is what I used for a teg on my trailer.

On the front use a chain and hook with safety catch to the stock front tiedown. Give yourself about 18" to the floor mount and then get a 9 inch lever like tensioner from say menards to cinch it down putting perhaps a 1/4 inch of compression in the suspension. Finally wrap the tensioner with a bunge so it can't open.

On the back I would use your straps to attatch and tension to the center rear tie down and install a second chain with hooks (but no tensioner) just as a safety. With the right hooks, and a stop on the floor so you can locate the car to get everything to reach, you can get it hooked up in just minutes

The beauty of using a short chains is that even if the tensioner were to open, the car can't move far. Good luck with the teg, is it an ITR class car?

Ps, did I buy a Del Sol from you and your dad?

jlucas
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Different Lucas for the DelSol. I've seen their names at races but no relation to me.

Like it says in the post, it's for a SpecE30 (ITR is just in there for winter storage).

JimLill
01-05-2008, 05:04 PM
You can add eyes almost anywhere and then use snatch blocks to transform the pull direction to the back of the car. Put the tensioning device in the back. We're used to seeing webbing but it's not the only solution, cable works too.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/141804_lg.gif

lateapex911
01-05-2008, 05:17 PM
And chains are cheap and effective too.

DaveITB1
01-06-2008, 04:19 AM
I race an e30 as well. I understand your clearance issue.

Easiest:
#1. Park the front tires up on 2x6"s or 2x8's(either one or two staggered) cut down to size. That will lift the front end and get the spoiler out of the way for your straps.

#2. Reposition the recessed D-rings towards the outer walls on the trailer floor.

#3. Does your e30 have the factory attachment points on the frame just behind the front wheels? if so, that anchor point may bring the straps down lower, clearing the spoiler lip.

#4. Combine #1 and #3.

Hope these help.

- Dave

jlucas
01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Easiest:
#1. Park the front tires up on 2x6"s or 2x8's(either one or two staggered) cut down to size. That will lift the front end and get the spoiler out of the way for your straps.
[/b]
Yeah, that's something I was thinking about as well. Especially since I have the risers already built up from the lowered Z06 (now gone but was needed to get a jack underneath).

Do you have yours attached to the trailer floor or are they loose.

DaveITB1
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, that's something I was thinking about as well. Especially since I have the risers already built up from the lowered Z06 (now gone but was needed to get a jack underneath).

Do you have yours attached to the trailer floor or are they loose.
[/b]

Loose. I'm thinking of gluing rubber strips on the bottoms of the boards as a no-skid against the trailer floor. But honestly, once the straps are cranked down, those suckers don't move.