PDA

View Full Version : any one seen these diesel generators?

tom91ita
12-30-2007, 12:50 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Diesel-True-Life-Gener...7QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Diesel-True-Life-Generator-8000-open-frame-series-65db_W0QQitemZ300184983111QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10643 7QQcmdZViewItem)

could fill it from the truck's tank.....

67ITB
12-30-2007, 07:49 AM
Never heard of this one, I use Onan, and not to hijack the thread…..

The big question is what do you want to use it for?

Home? Shop? Track? Emergency?
I am no expert, but have a bunch of “user level” experience with generators.

I own a gas 8kw, and use Diesel 3, 5, 10, and 30 kw’s at work
If this generator is for use at the track, everyone in the paddock will HATE you at night. An uncased diesel generator is LOUD. As an example my 3 kw is uncased and is louder than my cased 30 kw.

And don’t let the battery die. A pull start diesel can be a PITA to start, and next to impossible if you have any physical limitations at all (shoulder or elbow issues) even if the machine has a “compression release lever”

Hope this helps and again sorry if it’s a hijack

Matt Bal

tom91ita
12-30-2007, 08:44 AM
track, emergency use, etc.

65 db at 7 meters is not too loud. and they are in my home town so no shipping.

i am thinking that "Honda Designed" might mean we bought one and copied it??

dickita15
12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
65 db at 7 meters is not too loud. [/b]

Please do not park next to me. :rolleyes:

JohnRW
12-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Look closely at the pictures, and read some of the text. Cheapo Romanian/Nigerian/Chinese/Peruvian stuff (might as well insult 4 different continents, so no one will feel discriminated against). Find similar stuff at the cheap end of the Harbor Freight store. The "Honda-design" probably means that the piston goes up and down, just like a Honda engine does.

Run away.

Greg Amy
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Please do not park next to me. :rolleyes:[/b]
"Tragedy of the Commons." Look it up.

Everybody wants to use a generator, but everybody wants everybody ELSE to spend the Big Bucks on the quiet ones. Yet, if we did a survey of the paddock, I'd wager that very few have spent the big bucks. Yet, there's also very few people who are willing to walk over to the adjoining paddock and ask the person(s) to stop using a noisy generator, nor are we willing to offer to let the noisy guy use our generator, simply because it's our generator and we're paying the gasoline for it ("...if the guy wants a quiet generator, HE should pay for it"; problem is, he doesn't want a quiet generator, YOU want him to have one. Where's his incentive?)

So, it's all about getting other people to spend money to make us happy, versus their spending less money that'll result in others unhappy. So, it's kinda like blowing the leaves into the next-door neighbor's yard...

Guess what? Ain't gonna happen. There's no downside to running a noisy generator, except for the guy on the other side of the trailer getting pissed off, yet there's significant financial incentive to spending less on a noisy generator. Thus, all incentives are contrary to the interests of the common good, ergo "Tragedy of the Commons".

In other words: Get used to it.

And they poo-poo my idea of running a full 12V system off batteries...

dickita15
12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Speak for yourself.

JohnRW
12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
At a Summit Point National a bunch of years ago, a guy showed up next to me with an Atlantic and a 6kW generator. We were out in Dirtville, and it was pre "Rural Electrification Project" days at SP. Big-ass generator with no discernable muffler, all to top off the battery for the "total loss" electrical system on the FA. Hmmm...that charger needs about 1-2 amps at most...what a dope.

After having my mind numbed for about 30 minutes, I pulled out a 100ft. extension cord, plugged it into my 'small but quiet' generator, and walked it over to his paddock spot. The offer of an immediate solution (my quiet AC power) counter-balanced a somewhat acerbic greeting ("Use this, or we'll all burn your trailer down and piss on the ashes"). Problem solved. Message delivered.

If you don't ask, you won't get what you want.

Greg Amy
12-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Speak for yourself.[/b]
That's what I do, Dick, though I don't understand what point you're trying to make...

dickita15
12-30-2007, 11:44 AM
In other words: Get used to it.

[/b]

I guess the point is that some of us are actually considerate. We do run a quite Honda. I know that I find such background noise more irritating than others, always have, generators, compressors, exhaust fans and such.
I think it a reasonable courtesy not to run a loud generator unnecessarily.

JimLill
12-30-2007, 12:17 PM
The only way to get a quiet Diesel is watercooled. A 6KW+ using a Kubota 905 is a nice unit, not too big.

Greg Amy
12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I think it a reasonable courtesy not to run a loud generator unnecessarily.[/b]
ABSOLUTELY.

Problem is, not everyone is courteous; not everyone is willing to spend the extra coin in respect of others. That's the "tragedy of the commons" argument, in that for such an ideal (and I use that word carefully) to be successful it requires selflessness from everyone, not just a few. Reality states that's not going to happen, and as less and less spend the money more and more will do the same. That's the "get used to it": it's not a challenge, it's a statement of reality.

Of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I am already designing the ultimate diesel generator: it will be completely silent in the paddock (literally, 0.00dB), costs nothing additional in fuel to run, and works perfectly for my needs. If you've followed my discussion on rr-ax.com, you'll know that I'm designing a 12V electrical system for my trailer, with all devices such as lighting and device charging, running on a pair of completely silent batteries. Everything will either be 12V or work off an inverter; any high-current AC loads (if I have any) will work off of my scavenging "shore power" from the track or another competitor. One of the main driving forces for this idea is this issue of noise in the paddock...and I'm putting my money where my mouth is and spending it on silent power.

And the diesel generator part? The batteries will be charged by the tow truck as I cruise down the road (or from "shore power")... - GA

Matt Rowe
12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I am already designing the ultimate diesel generator: it will be completely silent in the paddock (literally, 0.00dB), costs nothing additional in fuel to run, and works perfectly for my needs. If you've followed my discussion on rr-ax.com, you'll know that I'm designing a 12V electrical system for my trailer, with all devices such as lighting and device charging, running on a pair of completely silent batteries. Everything will either be 12V or work off an inverter; any high-current AC loads (if I have any) will work off of my scavenging "shore power" from the track or another competitor. One of the main driving forces for this idea is this issue of noise in the paddock...and I'm putting my money where my mouth is and spending it on silent power.[/b]
Greg,

Sounds similar to the Gas (gas powered tow vehicle)/shore power/solar battery system that I have been laying out for my trailer. I'll have to check out rr-ax.com for more details.

Greg Amy
12-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I'll have to check out rr-ax.com for more details.[/b]
Rather than replicate here:

http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/t...id=6218&start=1 (http://www.roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6218&start=1)

lateapex911
12-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Greg, I hope I don't fall into your group of disappointments.
I spent big money on my Yamaha generator, got a bigger one than I really need, (and my back hates the 160 pound dead lift into the truck bed) and offer power to all.
And if my generator bothers anyone, I've always encouraged comments. PLEASE come up and let me know.

Some of us are trying...........

Kolin Aspegren
12-31-2007, 11:36 AM
I spent the big bucks and bought a honda water-cooled 6500. The damn thing is nicer than my car. I've
asked neighbors to plug into mine rather than hear there briggs/china/whatchamacallit pos blow all day.
One thing i've always done is try park away from people regardless to to be nice, I hate noise.

k

JohnRW
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I hate noise.[/b]

How about a discussion about the "2nd most annoying noise in the paddock" ? You all know what I mean....Mazda rotaries. Yeesh.

JamesB
12-31-2007, 01:46 PM
John believe me those of us that have spent the past few seasons in the woods at SP know what you mean. There is one notorious srx7 guy that seem to be constantly tuning his carb or timing and we get to hear it rev up over and over again.

As for the generator thing, if its too loud your right it can be annoying, but I am the master of tuning things out and usually generators will just put me to sleep unless its running right next to my ear.

pballance
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I have enjoyed reading all of the different ideas on power in the paddock. Now, I wouldn't recommend this for full time use but I have used several of these on my trucks and on customer trucks:
http://www.realacpower.com/index.htm

Frame mounted generator, runs off PTO gear in tranny, not the quietest at 70+ db but 12k (or 15k) power that runs off the truck engine. I am considering getting one to use as a back up for when we lose power during the tornado season. They run right at 6k installed and the owner of the company is a racer as well.

I myself would like one of those super quiet Honda's. :D

philstireservice
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I bought a Honda 6500IU this year...........one incredible generator. Two modes economy and full power. It has a 4.5 gallon tank on economy it will run all day (12-18 hours easily) On full about 8-10 hours. Very quiet comes with wheels. Easy to change oil and has a back up pull start. I got the electric start because I have a pull start air compressor and I hate starting that thing...grrrrrrr....:) It is also clean power, for use with computers and such. Expensive ($3200 w/ free freight)...but I wanted something I could count on every weekend (25-27 weekends a year and we use it at our house for backup power in the winter). I had two cheaper generators and blew them out. It also runs on regular gas...cheaper than diesel now.

Spend the money....you know you get what you pay for...blah blah blah...

tom91ita
01-01-2008, 11:35 PM
....snip.....Spend the money....you know you get what you pay for...blah blah blah...
[/b]

now Phil, you are the last one that i would expect to be telling us to go with something more expensive cause "you get what you pay for."

you give excellent service, free advice and at a reasonable price, too!

mlytle
01-03-2008, 12:11 AM
neighbor has a noisy generator at night? go turn it off for him. or pull the wire off the spark plug. by the time they get out of their trialer to see why it is off, you are back in yours. repeat a few times and they get the hint. ;)

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Noise Rating 65 DB (Tested at 7 meters) that's not loud at all.

average vacuum cleaner = 70 dB,
avg. lawn mower = 90dB,
electric shaver= 85dB.

lateapex911
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Those ratings are a good example of how numbers and perceived sounds dont always add up. An electric shaver is 5 db less than a lawnmower!?!
And LOUDER than a vacuum cleaner? Uh...maybe when measured at 1"!

Most of us have heard the Hondas and the Yamahas at the track. They're rated at 51-53 dba. Thats 51 db for my yamaha 3000 watt job, and 53 for Hondas 2000 watt unit, at 1/4 throttle.

Basically, the ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies, so a db at one frequency is not the same as at another frequency, (or mix of frequencies), but...3dB is a "noticible difference" and 10 dB is considered "Double the perceived sound amount". (And for you stereo types, your 50 watt receiver will put out 3 dB more than your friends 25watt unit, not double.)

So, a 65dB unit is nearly four times as loud as a yamaha, all other things (range, reflection, frequency, etc) being equal.

Which means, 70 etc isn't really that quiet.

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
You are absolutely 100% wrong.

JohnRW
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Basically, the ear is more sensitive to certain frequencies, so a db at one frequency is not the same as at another frequency, (or mix of frequencies), but...3dB is a "noticible difference" and 10 dB is considered "Double the perceived sound amount". [/b]

Bingo. "Fletcher-Munson Curves"

http://www.webervst.com/fm.htm

lateapex911
01-03-2008, 05:20 PM
You are absolutely 100% wrong.
[/b]

100% ??? Cite facts.

esuvee
01-03-2008, 05:32 PM
To bring this thread shockingly back on target I own an 8K TruLife diesel generator just like the one pictured except in their 'silent' enclosure. It's loud as sh!t. It's a piece of sh!t. It doesn't even make a steady 4.5K. It won't start without heat below 30F. It smokes enough to blacken a 20 sqft area. The metal used to make the castings is more like a sandy play dough. It has broken twice in the dozen or so times I've used it. I hate it every day, even when I don't turn it on.

After only 3 months I am searching for an Onan or similar but also considering a small 3cyl liquid cooled diesel for my own conversion (the electronics on the trucrap are not so bad, it's the engine that blows). The part that stings is that the Trucrap cost 1K and a decent used onan of similar size is 5K. It's well worth it, it just sucks to get your hopes up for 1K and end up spending 6K. I kind of saw it coming but thought it was worth a thousand dollar gamble.

Don't buy it.

Alex

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
100% ??? Cite facts.
[/b]

your not smart.

JohnRW
01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
To bring this thread shockingly back on target I own an 8K TruLife diesel generator just like the one pictured except in their 'silent' enclosure. It's loud as sh!t. It's a piece of sh!t. It doesn't even make a steady 4.5K. It won't start without heat below 30F. It smokes enough to blacken a 20 sqft area. The metal used to make the castings is more like a sandy play dough. It has broken twice in the dozen or so times I've used it. I hate it every day, even when I don't turn it on.
[/b]

"So...other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play ?"

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM

After only 3 months I am searching for an Onan or similar but also considering a small 3cyl liquid cooled diesel for my own conversion (the electronics on the trucrap are not so bad, it's the engine that blows). The part that stings is that the Trucrap cost 1K and a decent used onan of similar size is 5K. It's well worth it, it just sucks to get your hopes up for 1K and end up spending 6K. I kind of saw it coming but thought it was worth a thousand dollar gamble.

Don't buy it.

Alex
[/b]

Alex
Can I have it ?
Give it to me and I'll take it home and be mean to it.

Z3_GoCar
01-03-2008, 06:01 PM
your not smart.
[/b]

How about "Fundamentals of Acoustics" Fourth Edition by Kinsler, Frey, Coppens, and Sanders, published by John Wiley?

I say Jake's pretty much got it.

James

Greg Amy
01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
The issue still remains that any kind of "annoyance" is in the eyes of the beholder, and the recipients are subject to the desires, perceptions, pocketbooks, and selfish/lessness of the person making the generator purchase. Frankly, even the Zen/god-like Honda generators can be extremely annoying if used selfishly/incorrectly, so even THAT doesn't guarantee anything.

Bottom line is paddockmates have absolutely ZERO input into what someone can purchase to use at the track - or how they use it - and until there are legal/regulatory requirements as to what you can/cannot use in the paddock you cannot control it. You can bitch about it. You can make that person's life miserable. You can try to peer-pressure them into not using it/buying something else. You can move to another paddock spot. If you're feeling generous you can even buy them the one you'd prefer they use.

But otherwise you're pretty much at their mercy, so it's best that you use honey long before you try vinegar...

And, really, when it comes down to it, WTF! is so important about AC power at the track for you all to get so bent out of shape about this?

IPRESS
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Boy, I love coming over here every once in a while. You guys keep Charlie Priddle's Upper East Coast SMCA image alive into the oughts! Our country's greatest debaters have historically come from HAAHVUD country! Anywhere south of Richmond, there would already be gun play involved in this "loud ass generator" thread.
The best solution is already in our hands. We just turn the Sound Control Officals around facing the paddock and get readings and a report. That way the folks who refuse peace and quite can be ousted with the data to back it up! :026:

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate. (Hey do you guys wear a tux when you do these debates up there in HAAHVUD country? :lol:

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Dadgumit Mac this hear am some impotent stuff what needs ta be debated with lots a sifferin and figurin and such.
These dad blamed loud ass cheencanes generators are a big problem up hear, Sooooo
"To bring this thread shockingly back on target"...lol

If you can't buy a $5000 generator you should have to site in the dark, because some people are trying to watch TV in there motor homes...and your cheap poor man generator is disturbing those that really matter in this world.

lateapex911
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
your not smart.
[/b]

Nice.
First, you tell me I am 100% wrong...not a little wrong, or not on the mark, but 100%! OK, fine...since you couldn't be bothered to back up your statement with an explanation, or facts, I request, (curtly, but politely) some backing facts.

Then ...and this is rich...you come back with THAT! First, "your" is wrong, and if you're trying to make me look dumb, poor spelling and grammer aint helping your case! You meant "You're", as in "you ARE not smart" Or, even more proper, "You're dumb".

Which I'm not. At least not 100% of the time. (Note circular posting there.) It happens that I have worked in the audio industry for years, have consulted on movie theater designs costing hundreds of thousands of dollars....in peoples homes. While I never professed to have a doctorate in the matter, my post was generally accurate.

Entertain me on my soapbox for one more minute.

If you are looking for acceptance or respect in a community, THAT was not a good thing to do, and this is a community that is above such behavior. your integrity took a huge shot in my book, and I imagine some others.

(I'm sure you'll respond with a "I don't care what you think" and thats fine. But do me a favor, and save your insults for other boards. We don't need that crap here. And if you were joking, put a smiley in next time.)

thedemoguy
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
acceptance or respect in a community of what, theater designers from Ct....lol
You may be "above such behavior" but I'm not... : ) a little smiley for ya...lol

It's like this, a simple mathematical equation.

Bitch about noise at a race track + from Connecticut + works as a theater designer = Sissy

problem solved, take a Midol and have a crapacheno lata something or the other and relax... ; )

[attachmentid=1280]

JLawton
01-04-2008, 07:57 AM
acceptance or respect in a community of what, theater designers from Ct....lol
You may be "above such behavior" but I'm not... : ) a little smiley for ya...lol

It's like this, a simple mathematical equation.

Bitch about noise at a race track + from Connecticut + works as a theater designer = Sissy

problem solved, take a Midol and have a crapacheno lata something or the other and relax... ; )

[attachmentid=1280]
[/b]

Ya know, I gotta agree with Jake. One of the reasons why I really enjoy this board is that it normally doesn't get into the crap that the others do. If you have positive input on the subject great! (even if you disagree), if you don't, go to another forum where I'm sure you'll be much more excepted.......

thedemoguy
01-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Colchester, CT... = :wacko:

Maybe we have been under attack and Connecticut was hit with some kind of biological agent that reduces the power of reason and increases the female hormones...I think the president goes to Connecticut from time to time, that would explain a lot of things...

[attachmentid=1281]

dlg208
01-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I just bring a 100&#39; extension cord and extra beer. <_<

dickita15
01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Ya know, I gotta agree with Jake. One of the reasons why I really enjoy this board is that it normally doesn&#39;t get into the crap that the others do. If you have positive input on the subject great! (even if you disagree), if you don&#39;t, go to another forum where I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll be much more excepted.......
[/b]
Jeff, save your breath.
To recap, new guy post half truth facts, gets called on it and goes into fourth grade tirade about sissy calling him out.
Sure sounds like he is compensating for something.
Oh that’s right. I live in the northeast so what do I know.

thedemoguy
01-04-2008, 09:29 AM
hampden, Ma Exactly... :wacko:

Fake News Report or Cover up...???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmObnwGZvA

JohnRW
01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Dude...I&#39;m not in New England...and I really was waiting for you to enlighten us re: "You&#39;re 100% wrong", since I used to work in the recording industry, too. Oh...wait....30+ years ago I was rolling tape on violins and flutes and bassoons. I guess the "disease" is spreading westward, huh ? Gee...Ohio is just west of here...

thedemoguy
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
John
I&#39;m just having some fun with some oversensitive guys that seem to over analyze most everything do to a false sense of mental superiority, probably related to there financial stability or there perceived social status.

Regardless, I find them very amusing

lateapex911
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Dammit. I hate how people always prove Greg Amy right.

tom_sprecher
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
If you stop feeding it maybe it will go away.

thedemoguy
01-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Why not.

http://www.gkko.com/videos/25390/Hot_asian_bikini_model.htm