PDA

View Full Version : Imapct Wrench Setting

tom_sprecher
12-23-2007, 04:03 PM
How would you go about testing the setting of a pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench (19yr old CP w/lower torque than most) to get 60# +- 10%? I want to use it to run the lugs nots down and still leave enough for a final tightening w/torque wrench.

Thanks,

bonespec
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
I have a 10 year old $20 Campbell Hausfield 1/2" impact, 125 psi compressor. Turn dial on the bottom 0-4, at 2.5 it does 70 ft/lbs, at 90 psi is does about 55-60 ft/lbs. Then set car down and go around with TQ wrench to 85 ft/lbs.

Mostly is comes from using the tool and seeing what it wants to do, always assume your tank is at full pressure that way you don't strip any threads.

Mine aslo does 130-135 ft/lbs at max psi and $ on the gun, perfect for Honda axle nuts and crank pulley bolts. It never has an issue getting them back off either.

Greg Amy
12-23-2007, 07:50 PM
How would you go about testing the setting of a pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench...[/b]
Do you have a beam-type torque wrench? You can adjust the impact gun to its various settings and then use the torque wrench to determine its breakaway torque. You can use a click-type, too, but you'll have to keep adjusting the torque value up slowly until you reach that breakaway point... - GA

C. Ludwig
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
What do you torque to? You could always just buy a torque stick that's setup for a slightly lower torque than what you want to achieve and then do the final snug up by hand. This eliminates errors in the air pressure and impact setting. Would allow you to use any gun you wanted.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/cd/46/a523_1.JPG

joeg
12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, torque sticks don't work with long studs.

Neat tools, however.

Spinnetti
12-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Not really answering your question izzactly, but why not just use a speed handle thingy?

I gave up using power tools on a car a long time ago, and am glad for the lack of hassle and extra junk lying around.

I just use a 1/2" breaker bar and a mid length extension.. they come off and go on pretty quick, and with less time messing with air or electricity..

C. Ludwig
12-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately, torque sticks don't work with long studs.

Neat tools, however.
[/b]

The ones pictured above are just extensions. Fit your socket of choice and go at it. No reason they wouldn't work with a long stud.