PDA

View Full Version : NEW IT.COM WEBSITE - SOON !!

imported_Webmaster
12-15-2007, 11:55 PM
After a year of delays and life getting in the way, the new IT site has finally begun to take shape...

So what's new?
We've moved to a new software package (VBulliten), and a new hosting company which is far less restrictive meaning that all the cool stuff you see on other forums will be available to IT.com.

Over the next few days (YES DAYS) the new site will be brought to the point where a DNS switchover from this forum to the new will be possible.

We'll probably do this around xmas time when traffic is low. That way the fewest # of posts will be lost (if any)

At first the site will look much like this and will not include any new functionality. We will test various new features and then implement those that the IT.com community feels are a benefit.

One of the things we wil be doing is purging many of the old user accounts. If you are a lurker you may want to post once or twice in the next week to assure that your account is not removed. We will be removing all accounts that have posted less than 3x or that have not logged in at all in the past year.
Member sfrom domains outside of the USA may want to open a gmail or yahoo type account as all foreign domains will be disabled to limit spam.

I want to apologize for the lack of support that you may have experienced over the past year. Life got very busy for your webmaster...However the skeleton crew of admins we put in place seem to have been holding down the fort quite nicely. :) To the moderator team I say THANK YOU!

I will be watching this thread over the next couple of weeks and will then be taking a more active roll in administering the site again for the early part of 2008.

Of course, since this is YOUR IT.com we are open to YOUR ideas, YOUR critiques and YOUR suggestions are welcomed. Please reply to this thread with your comments and especially with any links to other forums which have features and functionality that you think IT.com should look into implementing.

Happy Holidays and here's to the continued success of IT.com... 8 years and still going strong!

:024:

Greg Amy
12-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Yay!

Actually, Mr. Master, could you post when you've made the change? I'd like to immediately purge the DNS cache and change over (I'll even be glad to show folks how some can do it themselves, depending on your ISP).

And/or, do you control your own DNS records? If so, a day or so before you swap, how about changing the TTL (time-to-live) on your DNS records to, say, a few hours? That'll minimize the change time (you can put it back to 24 hours - or whatever - a day later).

Lookin' forward to it!

GA

lateapex911
12-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Cool..........

I think what Greg is going on about is how, when he started to become world famous, he stopped posting as "grega" and started a new account, "GregAmy", and was wondering if those accounts, and all the posts could be combined, presumabley as GregAmy. Just a wild guess. Bettencourt did the name change too, he'd probably like to have his old posts under his new moniker too, but maybe not.

As for the current site, things seem to hum smoothly. The admins have been sweeping spam effectively. We had a couple mistaken locked threads, and an incident that concerned Kirk enough to start a "Mods you are not Gods" thread, but other than that it's been smooth sailing. Thanks for appointing a good crew!

One thing that seems to come up is the inability for some to post photos. On site space is limited, and many follks can't host them .....so an auto resizing feature and more on site space would be muy bueno!

77ITA
12-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Excellent news.

Thank you for your continued time and dedication with the site.

Ron Earp
12-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Excellent!!!!! It'll be a good change, the new forum will be very nice!

I have run www.gt40s.com, a large VB Forum, for the last seven years. If you need help I'll be happy to do so within my knowledge realm. I'm far from an expert but can manage some things or know where to get the answers.

This should make your life a bit easier once done and be a nicer interface for the members.

Ron

benspeed
12-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Great news - this is far and away the best forum going for real racers.

Gary Gentry
12-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, I suppose that's one way to get a long-time lurker to post...the ole' use it or lose it tactic.....

Thanks to all those that make this most excellent venue possible.....much information and not jsut a little entertainment.

Cheers. :happy204:

imported_Webmaster
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
OK success. New forum is up and showing ALL threads since 8PM of 12/17.... way back to August of 2001.. perhaps even farther back as the dates may have been removed on a 2001 import of the previous forum software.

Once I figure out how to import only those threads posted since 12/7 we can switch over.

Moderators... get ready to beta test drive! :eclipsee_steering: