PDA

View Full Version : Muffler for CRX-

toddgreene
12-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Is a muffler necessary (sound control) for a carbed ITC car?

Thanks,

Todd

tom91ita
12-12-2007, 12:31 AM
i run a 1st gen crx si (1488 cc) and have never needed anything except at waterford hills that has specific neighborhood requirements.

i typically run a 4-2-1 header with about 5-6 feet of straight pipe.

toddgreene
12-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks Tom,

My car is a former Waterford Hills car.
That explains the Cherry Bomb that was on it previously.

I've not seen a CRX yet that would break thr usual db levels here in the South.

Thanks again,

Todd

CDS
12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
I have a 1st-gen carbed CRX and don't run a muffler. 4-2-1 header and 2" pipe to right side of car. It's loud but never been over limit.

toddgreene
12-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Craig,

I plan to do the same except using 5-6 feet of flexible pipe, then 2-3 feet of straight pipe to come out the right side as well.
I think the flexible pipe will add a little back pressure and absorb some sound as well.

Todd

HONDA69
12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
[font=Arial Black][b]Hey Gang:
the voice of experience says that ans ITC Honda CRX hit 108db at Road Atlanta several years ago - no muffler on the car & It had a 4 into one with a 2 1/2 tailpipe terminating behind the driver's seat with a turn down under the car!!! so beware, I'm currently running a 4 into 1 with a cherry bomb off a 2/12 in pipe to keep me below 103db which works very well - highest reading since adding cherry bomb was 99.8 db. Exhaust tuning had been done with tire crayon on new tailpipe, cutting pipe off 2" before melt stopped and adding a turn down.

loudes13
12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Pushing sound limits isn't fun for anyone. Give our ears a break. It doesn't need to be street car quiet, but a small muffler or a cherry bomb probably doesn't hurt performance that much, is the lowest place for ballast, and makes life easier on the ears of your paddock-mates & track neighbors.

The more competitors run 100+ db, the sooner the tracks will be shut or forced to be waterford or laguna quiet.

tom91ita
12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
i had a side exhaust for a while and went back to a turn-down.

at some tracks where i crowd the wall, i would hear my own exhaust and it would sound like i was being overtaken on that side.

pretty much a personal preference thing.

raffaelli
06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I am thinking of building my own exhaust, header back. 91 CRX Si for ITA.

I was going to follow roughly the same pattern as the OE exhaust with a muffler. The engine is currently OE but will be changed to a Bullet Engine in the future. What size pipe should I consider? Is it necessary to get it coated after it is assembled? Do I need any flex connectors or flanges? Is there a ‘build exhaust guide for dummies’ somewhere?