PDA

View Full Version : "Petit Petit" at Road Atlanta

Butch Kummer
12-04-2007, 07:11 PM
We still have I's to cross and T's to dot, but Atlanta Region has agreed in principal to open the 2008 ECS with a Five-Hour event at Road Atlanta on Sunday, Feb 24. The event will closely mirror the rules for the "Longest Day" at Nelson Ledges, including classes (pretty much anything that runs a DOT tire) that will be invited to participate. I have been in close conversation with Roland Hahn and we believe we can make this thing work.

Lots of details to be worked out, but we're thinking a 90-minute qualifying session Sunday morning, then start the race at 12:45 PM and finish in the dusk (in February) at 5:45. Obviously all Enduro cars will be eligible to enter the SARRC race(s) on Saturday as well as the track-sanctioned Test Day on Friday.

I'll certainly have more details before Christmas (since we need to get the sanction request in by Jan 1), but I wanted y'all to know for sure so you can put it on your calendars:

Feb 24 - 5-Hour "Petit Petit" at Road Atlanta
Jun 13-14 - 12-Hour at Summit Point
Aug 22-24 - 24-Hour "Longest Day" at Nelson Ledges
Oct 31-Nov 1 - 13-Hour ("Charge of the Headlight Brigade") at VIR

Knestis
12-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Oh, well - it's bittersweet, having to give up the NASA 3 hour but if it's part of the ECS, then we're committed. I still think it's going to cost both organizations entries, to the benefit of neither but I understand how schedules work...

K

RacerBowie
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Awesome news!

Of course, I won't have a car at that point...

So it is official, I am either crewing for Dr. K or helping Butch. Butch, you need help? I've never put on a race before, but I'm just stupid enough to volunteer to help.

SPiFF
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Butch ...

Does this mean the Pro-IT is getting axed for that weekend?

Butch Kummer
12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
SPiFF - No Pro-IT that weekend; just not enough time in the day. We WILL be running double Pro-ITs at both the National weekends, plus a single Pro-IT in July and a double-points Pro-IT at Barber to finish the season. Add those to the one at the ARRC by GRM and you have seven races in the 2007 series.

Bowie - I sure I can think of something that will utilize your talents! B) Maybe drive the Honey-Dipper truck or something...

Knestis
12-04-2007, 11:49 PM
... Maybe drive the Honey-Dipper truck or something...[/b]

Hey, y'all watch this!

Where the Dukes of Hazzard meets Dirty Jobs

K

RacerBowie
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I hate you guys.

spnkzss
12-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Of course, I won't have a car at that point...

[/b]

O come on. You can't have your car built by the end of Feb.? That's like 3 months away ;)

Cobrar05
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
BTW, is the official name of this thing going to be the Kumho Petite Petite? Will the logo on the Tshirts also be petite?

IPRESS
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Butch,
Can you guys split the SM run group and the ITA run group by at least couple of races on Saturday? That lets us bring one car share it on Saturday and share it again for the enduro. We are trying to come to RAtlanta three times in 08 and the less weight we tow the better. My next request is .....can you do something about the price of diesel?????? :lol:

Mac

Butch Kummer
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Mac - Yes, I will split SM and ITA so you guys can both race on Saturday. I probably wouldn't have normally, but that's why we have these little discussions, isn't it? :D

I wish reducing the price of diesel was that easy...

The name of the event is still under discussion. I'm sure Road Atlanta (or Don Panoz) is protective of the "Petit" name, plus there may be restrictions from ALMS and/or the ACO. I generally try to steer clear of potential political obstacles, but I'm reminded of something Gen. Schwartzkoff (sp?) said:

"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordian." :lol:

Cobrar05
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Call it the Tiny LeMans then. I mean....afterall....

Chris Wire
12-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Call it the Tiny LeMans then. I mean....afterall....
[/b]

If we're truly doing away with any potential alignment with the ALMS race and French references, then may I suggest the "Tiny Lamonz"? :D

Cobrar05
12-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Actually, in french we could try des 5 Heures du Mans Petit.

dj10
12-07-2007, 07:26 PM
How about calling it a 5 hr sprint race, which it will be. B)

Cobrar05
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
You guys. 500 mile races are endurance races. They are usually around 3 hours long. for club racers a 3 hour race is long. Yet this 5 hour race leaves you totally unsatisfied. amazing.

Thats ok. I will happily take the trophy home.

Knestis
12-07-2007, 09:26 PM
That's just how it is.

The reason that Pablo is such a good enduro tool is that (with Conover's preparation) we can run the same kind of lap times we do at a 20 minute regional all day. And that's what it takes to win many classes, because there's always someone willing to do it - and if they don't break, they win. Of course, we have an idea about parts lifing with the Golf, so we replace stuff before it busts. I throw away a lot of parts that look fine...

The time when we could go out and stroke a car for 12 hours and win are long gone.

K

Hahn63
12-10-2007, 11:16 AM
The time when we could go out and stroke a car for 12 hours and win are long gone.

K
[/b]

Sad but true. It even happens now on 24 hour events!

FYI this 5 hour will be a double points event for the ECS!!

Roland

Knestis
12-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Any additional details re: schedule confirmation, etc.? I'm pretty shocked at how quickly this is coming up, when I look at my work travel calendar and so on... :blink:

K

Cobrar05
12-30-2007, 01:11 AM
I know. Its almost time to order tires for that race.

Butch Kummer
12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
This cannot be "official" until we get the sanction numbers back from Topeka, but here are the Supps and Schedule that I'm working on right now. There may be some minor tweaks as folks review them, but I do NOT anticipate any major philosophical changes.

Let me know if you have questions/suggestions...

trd771
01-08-2008, 11:20 PM
When will we be able to register? I have checked for the link on the web, cannot find anything.

Butch Kummer
01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I sent the Supps off to Topeka last Friday (1/4), so I expect to be getting the sanction numbers back soon. Once we have approval, we'll open up Registration on DLB.

civicracer13
01-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Is there a roll call somewhere? What are the chances that some (OTHER) ITC team is actually thinking about running this and other enduros this year? No fun just looking forward to seeing the checkered flag.

So if my 1991 Civic Hatch were to run it, who else would join in on the fun? Maybe at least some ITB cars to follow around for a while? Kirk you are in right?

I promise not to be a moving speed bump...Plus 5 hours at Road Atlanta is just hard to resist!
www.douglas-racing.com

Knestis
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm there for sure. Still looking for a co-driver for Atlanta, tho.

K

wbp
01-12-2008, 09:44 AM
civicracer13, from what I'm hearing you will have some competition in ITC. Hondas, of course. Five hours of Road Atlanta is just too much fun to pass up.

Butch Kummer
01-14-2008, 11:32 PM
As some have already figured out (while I was trying to log back in again), registration for our February SARRC/ECS weekend is open on DLBRacing.com. You can get there via the calendar function on DLB or take the direct links at www.Atl-SCCA.org (http://www.Atl-SCCA.org).

See ya...

Cobrar05
01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
We are in!!

Knestis
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
ARGH. That DLB Racing thing gives me the hugest headache every time I have to use it. But we're registered for the 5 Hours. C'mon, people - sign up.

K

racingralph
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
wish it was using ecr type rules , not set-up for these rules. will see if the drivers want to do it

Knestis
02-03-2008, 09:34 AM
wish it was using ecr type rules ...

Nah - it's run to ENDURO rules.

:happy204:

K

Hahn63
02-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, we are getting close to this event. I am a bit concerned about the lack of entries. If we want this event to continue in the future we need more teams to come and play. For those of you that haven't signed up yet , why not? Did we miss something, wrong time of year??

On another note, you do NOT have to run on Kumho tires for this race or any of the Kumho ECS events. You will still get points BUT you will NOT be eligible for contigency and year end prize money. You WILL get to see how you stack up against the best of the enduro teams! It is free to sign up for the Kumho ECS . After filling out the sign-up form at www.kumhoecs.com (http://www.kumhoecs.com) , you will get a couple of stickers and you are in the series! Yes it's that simple!! If you have any quetions feel free to contact me [email protected].

See you at the track!

Roland