PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cages

cjb25hs
12-02-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a 95 ACR Neon w/ a bolt in Kirk Cage. It was a NASA Spec Neon so it has never been an SCCA Car. I am converting it to an ITA car and was looking for clarification. IN the 08 GCR for the 2007 Roll Cage Rules Does IT follow the Showroom Stock rules? I know that at a minimum I have to add a second door bar on the passenger side, since I already have 2 on drivers side. If IT follows Touring specs I guess I have to add welds to the mounting plates in addition to the bolts.

Another question is the seat back brace, the car has an older Corbeau Forza I believe that has an FIA homolagation on it, which I understand the new seats do not anymore. So do I need to add a seat back brace and how do I attach it to a tubular seat or does it only have to support against the frame?

Thanks in advance for everyones help :happy204:

Greg Amy
12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
You need to read the rules thoroughly. I don't mean this as a blow-off, I say this because it's IMPORTANT that YOU are clear what's allowed and required. There's been a lot of changes in the rollcage rules recently, and I suggest no one here is particularly clear.

Let's walk through it. First, download a copy of the 2008 GCR if you don't have it; it's on SCCA's site. The '08 GCR has all the recent Fastrack-published changes incorporated.

- The first surprise for me is that the rollcage rules have been completely removed from the ITCS (GCR 9.1.3). ITCS 9.1.3.10 used to specify a cage was required; now it is mum. Therefore, we revert to the main GCR body.
- The relevant section is GCR 9.4, Roll Cages for GT and Production-Based Cars. Unless you get that car registered with SCCA prior to 1/1/08 you are required to follow the latest rules...
- GCR 9.4.3.E.3.a, .b, and .c do not actually come out and SAY that bolted plates are allowed or disallowed, but since the implication of how to manage bolted plates is specified, it's reasonable to infer that bolted mounting plates are allowed.

Ergo, I think they are allowed. HOWEVER, you need to read through **ALL** these cage rules to make sure your car complies with tube and plate thickness and size, as well as new rules regarding side door bars and such. Do spend some time ensuring your cage complies with all these new rules... - GA

dickita15
12-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes IT is based in SS cages. Says so in 9.1.3.D.10 (2007 GCR).
Yes you need the second door bar.
If the seat has the certification decal listed in the GCR you do not need a seat brace if not you do.
On my old tubular seat I had a heavy metal brace curved to match the contour of the seat back and a couple of small ubolts that I attached it to a couple of tubes in the seat.

zchris
12-02-2007, 02:22 PM
-I would personally like to thank Peter Keane for this nice simplified rewrite of the cage rules. Makes crossover between classes much simpler. Makes sifting though the rules easier. All around good job Peter. Thanks
Chris Howard