PDA

View Full Version : Rims hitting Caliper

Sandro
11-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I have tried two sets of aftermarket wheels (Panasports and Revolutions) and both of them barely touch the caliper carriers where I have circled in blue. I end up having to run a 10mm spacer to clear it.

Do you guys run into the same problem? In the bentley there is a picture of the carrier and it doesn't have that bracket connecting the two ends. I don't know if that was just removed for the picture or if you can actually get some like that, has anyone ever seen a pair like that?

For a MK1 with vented rotors.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_1626-1.jpg

Greg Amy
12-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Those are not Rabbit factory brakes... - GA

keycom
12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Those are not Rabbit factory brakes... - GA
[/b]

What he said!

Sandro
12-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Interesting, I had a feeling about that. I gave them my old set to get rebuilt and they came back with the pins not fitting and a few problems and a month down the line I got these back.

This is what they are supposed to look like correct?
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f231/Kanoa9321/IMG_1629.jpg

Since now I don't know what I have, it appears that just the carrier is wrong correct not the actual caliper? :bash_1_:

Thanks for the help.

Greg Amy
12-01-2007, 09:13 AM
This is what they are supposed to look like correct?[/b]
Looks better.

Generally speaking, all later-model Rabbits with Kelsey-Hayes pretty much got the same brakes, the only difference with the GTi was the vented rotors (all non-GTi were solid).

...it appears that just the carrier is wrong correct not the actual caliper?[/b]
Hard to say, but those pads don't look right, either.

Could these be 16V Scirocco brakes? It's been too long for me to say for sure.

Lael Cleland
12-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I belive the 85 and up A1s had that style carier. the caliper is the same......

Lael

Sandro
12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
OK I think I got it figured out. :026: Its just the wrong carrier, I'll just have to go to the junk yard and get a carrier.

Its an 83 GTI so it has the vented rotors. I know they aren't scirocco 16v brakes because those have the curved carrier(brothers car has them and all the wheels fit on his).

I know the pads are correct because I got them from Bill @Bildon, maybe the inside and outside pads are on the wrong side. :bash_1_: :bash_1_:

Thanks for the help !

67ITB
12-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I had an 1987 Scirocco AutoX car that had those carriers, and some of the carriers had just enough "casting crud" that they rubbed on my Revolutions. a trip to the Junk Yard for another pair eliminated the rubbing. it was just a small part of the casting I dont know the technical term, but it looked like a joint of 2 parts

Matt Bal

Bill Miller
12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
As the others have said, they're definitely not Rabbit brakes (calipers look to be correct K-H, but can't say for sure).

Also, I don't believe that you can 'flip' the pads (put the inside pads on the outside), but it's been a while.

Finally, I spoke w/ someone several years ago about powder-coating calipers, and he said that it was a bad idea, as it reduced the ability to dissipate heat.

I also don't think they're Scirocco 16v calipers/carriers, for the simple reason that those take 10.1" rotors, not 9.4".