PDA

View Full Version : Firesuit patches

Cobrar05
11-30-2007, 06:48 PM
OK....My OPM suit says no puncturing of the material to apply logos. We are required to run god knows how many logos during a racing season.

At the ARRC my CDOC patch was peeling off in the podium pics. Doesnt make the sponsor smile.

Have MORE patches for 2008. Was even thinking about embroidery.

Whats the answer? Liquid stitch works for the day, but not always.

Sew 'em on or embroider them on anyway? will tech fail you? Annual tech inspection of said firesuit is soon.

thanx for advise in advance.

chuck baader
11-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Embroidery with Nomex thread. Now, if you can just find all the colors you need in less that 5000 yard spools. Good luck, Chuck

BTW, any sewing on the suit should be done with Nomex thread. Most commercial sewing threads are cotton/polyester mix and will dissolve during a fire.

NutDriverRighty
11-30-2007, 08:45 PM
There is a place called Quality Stitch just outside of Spartanburg, SC. Carlo has (I hope he still has it) a HUGE spool of Navy Blue nomex thread that I gave him. He embroidered the stuff on the front of my suit (sorry that I don't have pics at present). He's a cool guy and one of the Tifosi. His website is the name of his business plus dot com at the end. Tell him that the NutDriver Racing guys sent you. He does our baseball caps, etc.

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

Cobrar05
11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Scott...any hope that your brother and other nut, Doug might get the ARRC enduro podium/victory lane photos up? I need 'em.

Eagle7
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
BTW, any sewing on the suit should be done with Nomex thread. Most commercial sewing threads are cotton/polyester mix and will dissolve during a fire. [/b]

Structural sewing, yes, but I'll bet that patch isn't nomex. It'll probably be burning, so why wouldn't you want it to fall off like it would with cotton thread?

Matt Rowe
12-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Structural sewing, yes, but I'll bet that patch isn't nomex. It'll probably be burning, so why wouldn't you want it to fall off like it would with cotton thread?
[/b]
The problem is the thread goes through the suit and up against your skin where it will burn. Interestingly enough there was an issue with the tags inside drivers suits and clavas causing burns to drivers. You would think the mfgs would have been smarter than to attach a flammable tag to a fire suit.

Dave Burchfield
12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I used Kevlar thread to sew my patches on. I wonder if it burns? I will see if a piece of it will burn, yes, that will be my Saturday project :P

Krysd
12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Check out Terry Giles web site, he specializes in uniforms, team shirts etc and he races GT-1:

http://www.powerhouseracingteam.com/index_files/Page288.htm

He just finished the Radical Teams uniforms and they were outstanding. He told me there is a thread that is fireproof, other than NOMEX, or Kevlar, both Kevlar and NOMEX thread is a little brittle for Embroidry, he also uses fireproof material for the inside backing for the embroidry, never thought about that, but it is important.