PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Nomex

toddgreene
11-30-2007, 09:37 AM
What is the best way to clean a double layer nomex suit?
I'm actually more concerned about the interior than the exterior.
Simpson doesn't seem to offer any instructions.

Thanks,

Todd

x-ring
11-30-2007, 10:13 AM
I've always just put mine (a three layer Momo) in the washer using the gentle/hand wash cycle. I safety pin all the velcro shut.

I dry it on a plastic hanger on the shower rod, not in the dryer.

You might check the inside of your suit carefully -- mine has a 'cleaning instructions' tag.

spdmonkey
11-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I used to have mine dry cleaned until I learned that the chemicals they put on it are flammable...I now use that Molecule kit and while its not cheap I am fairly certain its a lot safer.

db

toddgreene
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks,

I have a front loading washing machine.
It should not beat it up too badly.

Thanks again,

Todd

JohnRW
11-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm actually more concerned about the interior than the exterior.
[/b]

We all have brown spots in there. Don't be embarrassed.

RacerBill
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
We all have brown spots in there. Don't be embarrassed.
[/b]

NO WAY! NO HOW! NEVER HAPPEN! PM me for secret to success (in this area) (pun intended!).

Z3_GoCar
11-30-2007, 04:50 PM
NO WAY! NO HOW! NEVER HAPPEN! PM me for secret to success (in this area) (pun intended!).
[/b]

There goes Bill wearing his "Adult" undergarment :lol:

True story, A-triple-F was inspired by diapers. It seems that after fighting house fires, something unusual always seemed to be found that never burned. Turns out, they were wet disposible diapers.

James

zracre
11-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I learned laundry detergent breaks things down too so I wash mine with very little soap on cold then run it thru another wash cycle with just water to get all the soap out of it. Drying is just let it air out in a dry area.

Z3_GoCar
11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Back on Topic,

I hand washed mine twice to get most of the dirt out. Same with my balaclava, socks, and gloves, actually did thoes a few more time. I'd start with warm water in the utillity sink and add a tiny amount of detergent and let soak for a few hours, mabe prod it around to get some flow, then empty the sink out and soak in cold water with no soap, and repeated untill no more dirt. Drip dried them all. I also used shout on the huge oil stain on the front of my suit, a white suit sure like to get dirty.

As Cosby said, "First you say it.... Then you do it!"

Good luck,

James