PDA

View Full Version : Seats.... the Common question - no hating please :)

mossaidis
11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi folks,

I stripped the car last weekend, prepping it for a roll cage.

Now it's time to buy a seat to allow for the best roll cage fitment.

There are SOOO many seats out there, and I have heard it all in terms of opinions. That should tell me that it's a personal decision. But before I decide to buy something, I wanted to get some feedback from folks here.

I have a 92 Honda Civic Si, sits just 5" off the ground. My last seats were Corbeau Forza GT's and worked so-so for auto-x, HPDE and TT's. There were USED and cheap, but there was no lumbar support and the my ass would not fit snug into seat. So that and 4pt rallye harneses, driving was an "experience" which still included bracing myself on the dead peddle. :)

So...

1) Is there a seat out there is reasonably priced, ~$500?
2) allows for specific dimensions based on hip fitment and length from ass to shoudlers (I'm only 5'4" with 34" waist and 27" inseam... don't laugh!)?
3) regardless of my dimensions, is there a specific layback angle that other civic drivers found useful?
4) anything I should consider... I heard ultrashield, butler's, kirkey and the like with the rib flaps make for intersting elbow-rubbing while driving.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

spnkzss
11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I love my Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat. Cheap and comfortable. There is teh Road Race and teh Intermediate Road race. The Intermediate doesn't have the under car comfort issues the Road Race does. I have convinced 2 people to buy them and a third plans to buy one.

joeg
11-29-2007, 09:28 AM
A used Recaro--case closed.

tom_sprecher
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
After taking the recommendation of Hotshoe I went with a Kirkey Lightweight Layback 58 Series seat. I had a Corbeau Forza and it was not up to the task. I used the dead pedal and the shifter to brace myself around corners. Kirkey sells it in 1/2" width increments so when your in it it's snug. The rib supports and the OA seat is really shaped to keep you in one place. It works great! :023:

The 58 comes in at under $500 with a full cover and floor mounts but you will still need to fab up something the attach the seats to the mounts. The mounts are square and the seat is shaped like, well, your ass.

I got mine from Behrent's (http://www.behrents.com/).

raffaelli
11-29-2007, 12:37 PM
I also bought my Kirkey at Behrents. I was in the show room and they let me sit in as many different seats with covers as I wanted. They even let me sit in them while wearing a suit they pulled off the shelf. I bought the intermediate. I used it once an like it. Mine is sitting on the floor pan with four brackets welded to the floor pan. The seat is bolted to the brackets. The upper part of the seat is bolted to the cage. Thumb through the link in my signature to check out some photos. Chris Howard did the install.

I think the seat was like 230 with cover out the door (i think). the size 18 fit my 310 lbs 6'4" chassis well.

Doc Bro
11-29-2007, 02:15 PM
My seat:

http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Sea...bra/prodID/1734 (http://www.subesports.com/products/cat/Seats/brand/Cobra/prodID/1734)

Absolutely the best investment. No bracing for turns no fatigue in enduros. More pricey than what you wanted, but a seat you won't want to sell with the car. It also has the halo for H&N (the next SCCA FIA thing...you just wait). I can't give a higher recommendation.

R

almracing
11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Below is also not the cheapest seat around, but very comfortable and with side wings. I bought mine after a side impact (while wearing a HANS) got me sent to the hospital while using a non-head restraint seat. My neck was sore but OK. After the car was repaired, the new seat went in.

http://www.racetechseatsna.com/race_seats/RT4009HR.html

gsbaker
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
...I bought mine after a side impact (while wearing a HANS) got me sent to the hospital while using a non-head restraint seat.[/b]
Must be the fault of the seat... :rolleyes:

Tom Blaney
11-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Having had my butt in a number of seats over the past 30 years, I bought my first Kirkey Road Race a few years ago (at Behrents as well after trying the seat out) and it is the best one for the money and for design struture. The padding is enough to eliminate the usual vibrations and jarring but solid enough to maintain the road feel. Plus after a few 12 hr events it is still comfortable and easy on the back.

Everyone that I know who has one won't use anything else.

mossaidis
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow, this is great input. I appreciate all the feedback. I meet a few of you at NARRC at LRP a couple of months ago while walking the paddock with Will Martins. I am sure most won't remember but I am the short, bald stocky guy. :) I also met Chris Howard that same day and we agreed on a price and installation for a roll cage sometime this winter. I am glad I'm heading in the right direction.

So:

1) kirkey intermediate, deluxe or light layback
2) RaceTech RT 4009 HR
3) Cobra Sebring S or Evolution S

I must say that the ability to customize widths down to the inch is attractive (i.e. Kirkey). I'll see if I can get into some of these seats before mid-Jan when I must make a decision.

I live in NYC and work on the car in Albany, NY. If anyone is willing to have me over, I would love to try out your seats during one of my many commutes. :)

eMKay
12-02-2007, 01:20 PM
How about a Momo Start? It's fiberglass, so it's inexpensive, and it's FIA certified, so no back brace needed. I had one in my Rabbit and it was slightly snug (5'11", 200lbs) but might be just right for you. I think it was $270 shipped.

ewaugh
12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
How about a Momo Start? It's fiberglass, so it's inexpensive, and it's FIA certified, so no back brace needed. I had one in my Rabbit and it was slightly snug (5'11", 200lbs) but might be just right for you. I think it was $270 shipped.
[/b]

philstireservice
12-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Wow, this is great input. I appreciate all the feedback. I meet a few of you at NARRC at LRP a couple of months ago while walking the paddock with Will Martins. I am sure most won't remember but I am the short, bald stocky guy. :) I also met Chris Howard that same day and we agreed on a price and installation for a roll cage sometime this winter. I am glad I'm heading in the right direction.

So:

2) RaceTech RT 4009 HR

I must say that the ability to customize widths down to the inch is attractive (i.e. Kirkey). I'll see if I can get into some of these seats before mid-Jan when I must make a decision.

I live in NYC and work on the car in Albany, NY. If anyone is willing to have me over, I would love to try out your seats during one of my many commutes. :)
[/b]

Demetris,
Come see me before Dec 21 and you can sit in my Kirkey Road Race seat....after that the car goes to North Carolina.......

Phil

Jake
12-09-2007, 09:55 AM
[/b]

I would think that's the way to go. I have a Kirkey Intermediate (with most of the the rib protectors cut off), but I'm a fairly big guy in a little car. If you've got a little room to work with get something with a little more padding.

mossaidis
12-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Demetris,
Come see me before Dec 21 and you can sit in my Kirkey Road Race seat....after that the car goes to North Carolina.......
Phil
[/b]

I'll stop by on the way to albany on the 14 or 15th

Chris Wire
12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Bill Miller has posted a Kirkey Road Race seat for sale in your price range:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...topic=13829&hl= (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13829&hl=)

I'm using a Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seat. The rib protectors do lend themselves to some "elbow rubbing", so I modified it a bit. It's better but not the best. I was once convinced that the aluminum seats were the only way to go, but I've raced in a MOMO, Sparco EVO2, and a Cobra (all composite seats), and I think they are better from a comfort standpoint. May no be the equal of the aluminum in overall safety though.

almracing
12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Must be the fault of the seat... :rolleyes:
[/b]

Touché!! :lol:

lateapex911
12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Momo start is a great value. 96% of the higher end seats performance-wise for 30% of the cost. I have been known to be dozing in mine on grid.
I'd rather save a couple bucks on the seat, then spend the savings on an Isaac which gives you so much lateral support in the event of an incident. (As opposed to the same money for a HANS, but then you HAVE to pony up for the special seats to get the same relative level of protection. YMMV.

raffaelli
12-11-2007, 09:42 AM

So:

2) RaceTech RT 4009 HR

I live in NYC and work on the car in Albany, NY. If anyone is willing to have me over, I would love to try out your seats during one of my many commutes. :) [/b]

Sure! I am just a mile or two off the Taconic. Drop me a note when you'd like to see.