PDA

View Full Version : CCPS at CCR CMP National

seckerich
11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok guys, time for some input. I will be doing the schedule for the CMP National Feb. 16/17 and want to get as many of you as possible to run the Carolina Pro Cup. Would you be more likely to race if we have all your sessions on Saturday so it is a one day affair or move the race into Sunday. Please give your opinion if you actually plan to run the race. :D

Hotshoe
11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
[quote]
Ok guys, time for some input. I will be doing the schedule for the CMP National Feb. 16/17 and want to get as many of you as possible to run the Carolina Pro Cup. Would you be more likely to race if we have all your sessions on Saturday so it is a one day affair

Yes to the above...............

Aged racer
11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
We could not do a two day- get it all in Saturday and I think two more cars can make it (SSC and SM).

Cobrar05
11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Steve...(Lobbying hard here). Two cars ready to race. Asking for a ticket to ride? I would favor the one day as we would not run the national race.

Thanx for your consideration Steve. We want to race your series.

Rob Bodle
Terra-X RaceSport and Photography

seckerich
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Rob. Go to the CCPS website and contact Estus White about car classing. I can only host the race by their rules. We would like to have you. :023:

Have you run CMP and what lap times do your cars turn there. Fast S time is 1:51-1:52.

dj10
11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Rob. Go to the CCPS website and contact Estus White about car classing. I can only host the race by their rules. We would like to have you. :023:

Have you run CMP and what lap times do your cars turn there. Fast S time is 1:51-1:52. [/b]

Steve or anyone,

Can anyone tell me why there is a manditory 2 minute pit stop in a 45 min race in the ccps?

Thanks

Cobrar05
11-27-2007, 11:05 PM

Have you run CMP and what lap times do your cars turn there. Fast S time is 1:51-1:52.
[/b]

I have spoken with CCPS officials at VIR in October and have emailed everyone with an email address on the website. I am told that they will discuss our request at the year end meeting. I was not rejected out of hand as ECR has done and so, I am hopeful.

Any word from you to them would be helpful.

As to CMP, we have no laps there. We passed on the track last season out of concern over brake and tire wear. The new configuration is supposed to ease both and allow more time for brake cooling. We plan on running both cars in the February NASA 3 hour enduro to get some laps there and see how the cars hold up to the new CMP layout.

Right now we are fast where we have experience and slow where we do not. 1:39 to 1:42 at Road Atlanta(lots of laps). 2:17 to 2:20 at VIR Full course(few laps).

JeffYoung
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Ron and I have been thinking about making this race. Being done on Saturday would make it way more attractive. That'd be two S cars that DO NOT run 1:51-52........and I only know of one that does......lol......

seckerich
11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Steve or anyone,

Can anyone tell me why there is a manditory 2 minute pit stop in a 45 min race in the ccps?

Thanks
[/b]
Long story short Dan, it makes it possible for 2 drivers to share the car without it costing them the race. Run it yourself or split it. Just let me know if you need that BMW worn out for half a race. :026: I'm slow there but I could try.

I will see what we can do for you Rob. I think your cars would fit fine at CMP.

Team SSR
11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
We plan to attend and would greatly appreciate a Saturday race.

dj10
11-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Long story short Dan, it makes it possible for 2 drivers to share the car without it costing them the race. Run it yourself or split it. Just let me know if you need that BMW worn out for half a race. :026: I'm slow there but I could try.
[/b]

Thanks for the explaniation Steve but I can't understand why anyone would need or want another driver for a 45 minute race. I could understand if the race was 3 hrs or longer but 45 mn. this is still a short race IMO. :D

CaptainWho
11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the explaniation Steve but I can't understand why anyone would need or want another driver for a 45 minute race. I could understand if the race was 3 hrs or longer but 45 mn. this is still a short race IMO. :D
[/b]

My brother and I co-drive CCPS races regularly. It allows us to run one race and take home two "finishes" for renewing our licenses.

Oh, and we'd be more likely to run if it was all on Saturday. Honestly, though, mid-Feb might be tough for me to make.

Cobrar05
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM

I will see what we can do for you Rob. I think your cars would fit fine at CMP.
[/b]

I just looked at some American Iron lap times from last season. Our cars fall into that class as well. They were running times mostly between 53 and 55 at CMP. Loose in. I saw a 51 on one sunday race and only one guy in the 51s.

I doubt I would be anywhere near that starting off.

Phat-S
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I just looked at some American Iron lap times from last season. Our cars fall into that class as well. They were running times mostly between 53 and 55 at CMP. Loose in. I saw a 51 on one sunday race and only one guy in the 51s.

I doubt I would be anywhere near that starting off.
[/b]

FYI - American Iron Lap Record at CMP is 1:48.8 (5/1/2005 - A. Kirby - Mustang)

Last AI race I saw there, I believe this was 2003, the top three were in the 49s.

NutDriverRighty
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I co-drive with Captain Who. I'd very much like to take care of everything on Saturday. I'll try to get us there. Can't wait to see the new layout. Love the CCPS, too. As Captain Who said, it allows us broke folks the chance to race more easily.

Scott "Right Nut" Franklin

Cobrar05
11-28-2007, 05:59 PM
The Kirby car is an AIX car. See the results below. The fast AI lap was 1.51.9. The Kirby car ran a .48.8, but in SCCA terms would be an SPO car.
http://www.nasaracing.net/CMP_May_07/resul...r%20050507.html (http://www.nasaracing.net/CMP_May_07/results/R%20Thunder%20050507.html)

Phat-S
11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
FYI - American Iron Lap Record at CMP is 1:48.8 (5/1/2005 - A. Kirby - Mustang)

Last AI race I saw there, I believe this was 2003, the top three were in the 49s.
[/b]

LR taken from http://www.nasaracing.net/NASA%20LAP%20REC..._FINAL_2007.xls (http://www.nasaracing.net/NASA%20LAP%20RECORDS_FINAL_2007.xls)

They typically ran within a tenth or two of the Honda Challenge H1 fast laps. The H1 LR at CMP is a 1:48.926.

Parrish57
11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
The Saturday only schedule is always appreciated on this type of weekend. I don't know if we'll be able to make it but a single day event makes it more likely.

One thing you could do to get a crowd is guarantee sunny and 65 degrees! If I recall, this past Feb was cold, cold rain.

Steve

seckerich
11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
For you Steve we will have sunny and 71. :026: It was cold last year but no rain. A week later it was almost 65. Luck of the draw. Looks like the Saturday only is the race of choice so we will make it happen. Should work to have the race last session of the day.

Parrish57
11-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks, Steve... I'll make sure to have some sunscreen ready.

Just a suggestion, but you might look at the late entry rules when putting together the supps. It seems that over the last few years most regions have escalated the late entry fees up to and beyond $50 and in some cases entries at the track are forbidden. I know that this is intended to encourage us to send in the entry early but for someone riding the fence it might be enough to push them away. That could be especially true for a possible cold weather race weekend. Just a thought...

I can't wait to see the revisions to the track. I hope I can make it!

seckerich
12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Schedule is set for the Feb 16/17 National,CCPS at CMP. By popular demand the CCPS race will be run Saturday. You will get a 25 minute Qualifier first group Sat, A 20 minute qualifier mid day, and a 45 minute Race Saturday afternoon for $180. We juggled the groups around to let those running the national in eligible classes have a group in between theirs and the CCPS to accomodate as many drivers as possible. Treat it as a 45 minute practice if they need more track time. This means the CCPS drivers should try to get there Friday night to tech, or get with your region tech official to get your annual done if possible. It could get real crowded Saturday morning and you do not want to miss track time sitting in tech. Hope to see you all there.

JeffYoung
12-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Great price for that amount of track time. Count one TR8 and one 260z in.

JimW337
01-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Just saw the scheduling and event info on the ccrscca.com website...

NATIONAL RACE $295.00 (add $10 for SRF, FE & SM) Note: 13 laps of CMP = 47 miles.
CCPS CAROLINA CUP $180.00 (add $10 for SRF & SM) 45 Minute Race
Combined Entry Fee $425.00 (add $10 for SRF, FE & SM)
Camping fee $ 50.00
Late Fee - 10 days before the event $ 50.00
Make checks payable to CCR-SCCA

Camping fee for CMP is now $50.00. I sure hope the track upgrades inculde new showers. Seems kind of high for the condition of the facilities, I don't think the CMP facilities are on par with VIR. But, now CMP is charging fees as if they are VIR.

JimW

seckerich
01-09-2008, 02:29 PM
The camping fee is for hookup for motorhomes and toters. I do not think you will be paying for anything else. We have to pay the guards to stay all night or the gate will be locked at 10 pm like some other races there. We want people to be able to come in during the night and sign the waiver and get parked. Trying to make it more racer friendly. Power is still $20 I think for the track. CCR has nothing to do with these fees.

I have had calls about what is the CCPS race.

CCPS is a 45 minute race that is open to all IT,SSB,SSC,T3,SRF,and Spec Miata. The series does pay money so be sure to register. I do not know the payout per race or year end but will post a link to their website soon or it is linked to the CCR site. Hope to see you all there.

jmark
01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Who's coming in ITS?

JeffYoung
01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Ron Earp -- 260z, Jeff Young -- TR8, Steve Parrish -- 240z I think.

Is the online registration up yet? If not, what's the deal?

jmark
01-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Trying to talk David Spillman into running as well.

Team SSR
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Me and #1 son Anthony will be there - 944

seckerich
01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
More informaytion on upgrades to CMP:

More from Joe Hooker:

We are trying to get the word out about the changes at CMP and test day opportunities before the February national. Was hoping you could send out an email to your faithful following.

We are as of today in the middle of paving the revised turns 12-13 and 14 of the track. 12 and 13 are completely new and should be significantly faster and answer the criticisms of the track being too tight and hard on brakes. Turn 14 has been revised by adding 16 feet to the inside of the corner, making the corner radius larger, read faster. You can access a new track map on our website, www.carolinamotorsportspark.com (http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/) . In addition to the new sections, we are repaving all of the racing line on the rest of the corners on the existing track, giving effectively a new surface where it matters.

Several other things are new. Just finished paving on a new 200 foot diameter, 50 foot wide, wet or dry skid pad. It will be available for rent wet or dry by the hour, half day, or day.

24 day garages are under construction now. Each space is 15 x 25 covered concrete space, with 2 dedicated 20 amp 110v circuits per bay. Rates are $75/ day or $200 for the 3 day weekend. Reservations are being accepted for any date in 2008 now. Form is on the website for reservations.

Over 1200 feet of paddock roads have been paved as well, including the front road that runs parallel to the pit lane.

Pictures of all the above on the website.

We now take credit cards for both race fuel and test day fees.

We are scheduled to reopen with all of the above facilities up and running on February 2-3 which is a Palmetto Motorsports Club weekend and Turn One Track Days event. It will be available to any one that wants to participate drivers ed or race. Members run free, others are $190 two weeks before the date $ 225 at the gate. Drivers ed is higher for instructor cost.

We also are having three test days before the SCCA national. Wednesday and Thursday are semi private testing, 10 cars each, open and closed wheel, 30 minute sessions, $500 each day. Friday is the standard prerace test day. Again $190 two weeks in advance, $225 at the gate.

Any questions call the track, 803-475-2448 as for Toni, admin; Brian, or Jochen, Track Mgrs; or you can call/ email me hookracer "at" hotmail "dot" com.

jmark
01-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Ron Earp -- 260z, Jeff Young -- TR8, Steve Parrish -- 240z I think.

Is the online registration up yet? If not, what's the deal?Online is up now on DLB.

Ron Earp
01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I found the site, but how do you register for the Carolina Cup there?

jmark
01-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I found the site, but how do you register for the Carolina Cup there?Is this it?
http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=3137

timo944
01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Yep, I'll try to be there too if it's a one day event.

:happy204:

E-3
01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I found the site, but how do you register for the Carolina Cup there?

Look for the Carolina Cup banner inside the track. We will either have a table set up or come into the motorhome. We will except CCPS annual registration up to one hour before the start of the CCPS race, so don't panic before practice starts.
Thanks,
Estus
CCPS Administrator

racingralph
01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
we are planning to to run the white car (its#90) for the ccp , kent & katie are looking forward to it ...... me too!

CaptainWho
01-30-2008, 07:27 PM
We were planning to go, and Righty still might, but I'll be winging my way to a week's vacation in sunny Plovdiv, Bulgaria. :D

civicracer13
01-31-2008, 12:05 AM
I'll be there representing ITC with my 91 Civic, time to play on the 'New' CMP!!! Track updates are looking sweet, can't wait! What are the rules for using the skidpad?

Come on ITC racers, where are you??? CMP is a Killer track for us!!! Load up the track everyone, great track time for the $$$! Get that first 2008 event done and get rid of the winter cobwebs!!! Bonus is we get to watch the national guys!

Matt Douglas
Greensboro, NC
Douglas-Racing.com (http://www.douglas-racing.com)

Parrish57
02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
So far, here's the weather forecast for Saturday the 16th.... Let's hope this holds up!

http://image.weather.com/web/common/wxicons/52/32.gif?12122006
SunnyHigh
58°F

Precip
10%

Also, the entry list for the CCPS is healthy. 7 drivers in IT7, 1 each in ITA and B, 3 in ITC, 9 in ITS (plus Thompson if he comes), 14 SM, and 4 Spec racers. There's still room for more!! Come on out and play.

seckerich
02-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Due to the cancellation of the race in Atlanta we are going to waive late fees for anyone who wants to enter at CMP. You will only have to pay extra if you wait to enter at the track. DLB will be open until Tuesday at best. If you plan to run please get registered now. Looks like a big CCPS group.:026:

Parrish57
02-10-2008, 02:03 PM
The schedule for the CCPS race shows a 25 minute qualifying, a 20 min qualifying, then a 45 min race. Just to be clear, there are dual qualifiers with the best time making up the grid? It looks like a lot of track time for the $ !!!!

seckerich
02-10-2008, 04:26 PM
You have that correct Steve. We made both qualifiers for CCPS and the National. Gives you the best chance at a good lap. Also gives both drivers a chance to set pole. It's all about the fun factor!!:026:

JeffYoung
02-10-2008, 08:13 PM
One TR8 loaded on trailer and ready to go....with new 15" rims.....and new carburetors....we'll see how it does I guess.

Anyone running the test day? We plan to unless work interferes.

Parrish57
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
One TR8 loaded on trailer and ready to go....with new 15" rims.....and new carburetors....we'll see how it does I guess.

I guess I should get out there and start putting the motor back in mine. I'd normally wait until Wednesday but it looks like I'm behind! No test day for me... Save me a space!

JeffYoung
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
We actually rented one of the new garages, but we'll have paddock space too I am sure for the rigs, etc. Cold beers for you and Brian when you arrive.

Steve E., I need your take offs! Oh wait, you don't have any any more. Took a damn year to get 15" rims and now I have 13 of them...crazy.

Ron Earp
02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
I guess I should get out there and start putting the motor back in mine. I'd normally wait until Wednesday but it looks like I'm behind! No test day for me... Save me a space!

Now if you'd just leave the motor where you left it in the car when you put it on the trailer you won't have these problems......

Good luck getting ready and looking forward to seeing you guys down there!

R

racingralph
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
hey jeff , i can bring u some take-off also, just like steve's (225-45-15). u can flip them over to get some more laps out of them.let me know , maybe i can bring them to cmp. ralph mcc

Gary Gentry
02-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Jeff,

We'll be going down for the test day as well.....looking forward to seeing you there.

Went down for one of the two test days recently and I think most liked the new track configuration. Definitely faster.....

Any trips to the Far Side planned?

Already loaded up and ready to go? Gheesh.

JeffYoung
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Tell me about it man, this is a first for me. A whole week in advance, and I have TWO sets of calipers ready to go on the car for the inevitable brake meltdown......how is the new layout on brakes?

Definitely headed to the FarScape Saturday night. You are welcome to join in the "fun" -- you haven't lived till you've done shots at the Foxes Den at 4 a.m., illegally, in Camden.

Ralph, thanks for the offer. If you have any take offs, I'd be interested in 4 as a set of practice tires -- thanks man! I appreciate it.

seckerich
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I just sold all 24 tires I had left this week--so now I don't have takeoffs anymore. All slicks from now on.

seckerich
02-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I thought Kent and Katie were going to run?? What happened?

Gary Gentry
02-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Jeff,

Am sure you will arrive at your own conclusion fairly early on. I can't see how it could not be some better on your brakes in that subject section....on the other hand, it is much faster approaching the last turn....I'll find it interesting to hear whether or not you think there is any overall improvement as far as your brakes are concerned.

We'll see ya down there and just may join you if we stay around for Sunday activities.

JeffYoung
02-11-2008, 12:07 AM
How much faster do you think? It looks like the braking zone to 12 has been "reduced" although I never used the brake there much anyway. 13 brake zone is gone right? And then much faster into what used to be 14?

I'd be shifting into 4th just before getting on the brake there before, so maybe 90 mph for me? How about you?

And now more speed into turn 1?

Gary Gentry
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I think you have it.......13 brake zone is pretty much gone. I haven't quite yet figured out whether it will be better to make "2 turns" out of the reconfigured 12-13 area (kinda like 1-2 at Roebling), or just treat it as a sweeper; it is definitely faster for me either way. And the smoother transition through 14 can't help but equate to some additional MPH at the end of the front straight going into 1.

Do I ever get up to 90 MPH?

See ya there!

Cheers.

racingralph
02-13-2008, 11:57 PM
jeff, we are planning to do test day also . will you at least 4 tires . see you friday morn. we are bringing the white car (its# 90) for katie & kent to share ! lets go racing !!!

Parrish57
02-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Race results are up on Mylaps. Congratulations to Jeff McCandless for getting his first ITS win right out of drivers school! Kent and Katie co-drove the white RX to 2nd. Mike Lacombe was the last ITS car still running and took home the 3rd place trophy. The rest of the ITS field was a sad story. Travers Tapper didn't even make it to the green flag before getting punted into the tire wall. When will people learn that there is no trophy for winning turn 1? Next, Ron Earp played bumper tag with an SRF and beached his Z in turn 4. Jeff Young Esq had a strong qualifying and start until his Triumph failed to produce oil pressure leaving him stranded in turn 4. Let's hope he shut it down in time. (Check those bearings!). I didn't get to speak to him personally but it appeared that Anthony Stauffers 944 had a spectacular failure to contain the moving bits within the confines of the engine block. Nice job of getting off of the track and not oiling down the kink. As for me, I had a great qualifying lap, starting on the front row. I held the overall lead for most of the race only to break a transmission with 4 laps to go. I joined the racecar boneyard in turn 4!

It looked like there were some other great races in the other classes. IT7 and SM had quite a few cars. I'll let those guys give us a race recap.

Thanks to CCR for putting on a great event. I hope everyone can get their cars fixed for round 2 of the CCPS at VIR March 8-9.

jmark
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Sorry I missed this Steve. Car sounds like it was flying till 4 laps to go. How's the new layout at CMP?

Parrish57
02-17-2008, 11:01 AM
The new layout is great! It didn't take long to get comfortable with the new turn 12-13 complex. I didn't notice much of a difference in turn 14. The repave in the carousel made that section much better. Over all, the track just had great grip.

Team SSR
02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
"it appeared that Anthony Stauffers 944 had a spectacular failure to contain the moving bits within the confines of the engine block."

official analysis revealed that the starter fell off causing a hole in the oil pan. ;)

Parrish57
02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
official analysis revealed that the starter fell off causing a hole in the oil pan. ;)

That's good news!! I hope you didn't hurt the motor. Will you be running at VIR?

Team SSR
02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Much like Smokey Yunicks reason for retiring from the '61 Daytona 500, the "official anaylsis" bears little resemblance to the truth. We actually spun a rod bearing. The good news is we were already building a spare engine so we should be ready for VIR in March.

Parrish57
02-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Gotcha! I missed the historical reference. In any case, it's good to hear that you'll be ready for the next round. I hope I can say the same.

pballance
02-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Dang, I should of come up to play. Sounds like it was fun and Jeff had a good time as well! Congrats Jeff!

I know it would have been cheaper, this weekend cost me a new CX7 for the team owner. Some how that is more expensive than a set of hoosiers :confused:

jlinfert
02-18-2008, 06:51 AM
anybody have the link to the mylaps page with results?

Team SSR
02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
CCPS race: http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=278110

tbtapper
02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Yep, the CCPS start sure was a bummer. The only good things about it for me was that I have no idea who jammed me and I had 45 minutes to "cool off" watching the race.

It is seriously too sad that some folks apparently are so clueless about reasonable responsible driving. Granted, this wasn't Sebring 12 hours or the Daytona 24 hours but it WAS an enduro 45min long.

Apparently the logic of making it through the 1st turn in order to actually participate in the competition is lost on some. Perhaps, they should take up motocross where there are points for the hole shot.

At CMP especially, if using the front straight start/finish line there needs to be great care during the start because of the short distance from the line to turn 1. Since the turn is pretty acute and not very wide PATIENCE is the operative term, sadly a trait some of our fellow competitors completely lack.

Anyways, the fella (or gal for all I know) in a GenI that jumped the start and blasted down the inside, half on the grass, I suspect was the catalyst for the ensuing frickas. Where they thought they were going to "merge" in with vastly quicker cars is beyond me.

I hope this "bold" 1st lap, first turn move put them on the podium. Then MY thrashed car and broken thumb will be worth it. (to them)

Oh well, guess this is what I'll use my "economic stimulus" check from GeorgeW for! As T1 said "I'll be back".

Travers
ITS19

JeffYoung
02-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Travers, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] about that first gen. Edit -- not appropriate for discussion on web.

The Cup start clusterfricas was fortunately behind me, but I understand the Cup steward went ballistic with the flagman for throwing the green so early, which just compounded the problem.

Bottom line is I am done with the Cup, for those reasons (the start), but more importantly because even closer to the front, racing with SRFs just isn't my idea of fun. They are extremely hard to see, and in my view race very differently than the S/A/7 guys I am used to running with.

Parrish57
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Bottom line is I am done with the Cup, for those reasons (the start), but more importantly because even closer to the front, racing with SRFs just isn't my idea of fun. They are extremely hard to see, and in my view race very differently than the S/A/7 guys I am used to running with.

Jeff... I hate to see you give up on the Cup. I do share some of you view on the SRFs, but I guess I've just accepted their presence. If you shy away just because of the SRF that means you won't be racing in any ECRs either. And as Travers can testify, most of the carnage comes from the S/A/7 guys and gals. That being said, I agree that the SRFs do race differently. You just have to give them room. (and wait for them to take each other out!).

Here's a video from the middle of the race. I was trying to drive just hard enough to stay safely in front of the 2 SRFs but started having clutch/tranny issues so I let them by. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw

Team SSR
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't care how many times you watch that video, it's still funny. :)

Your car looked good this weekend Steve :023:

jmark
02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Cool video. Thanks Steve.

JeffYoung
02-18-2008, 03:55 PM
That is good vid. Basically for the 5 laps I was out there (typical!) THAT -- SRFs bouncing off each other -- is what was happening right in front of me. The vid doesn't show it, cause Steve is faster, but the running order up to lap five was Steve/2 SRFs/SM/me. That exact incident nearly happened on lap 3 or so -- one went off left and came back out on track at 13 right in my path.

CCPS is a good series, but I will pass from here on out. Congrats to Jeff McC on his win on Saturday. Nice drive, and looking at mylaps nice consistent, and fast, laps.

Did you guys see that 260z in 3rd? Dayum! Looking good there for Mr. Earp until he got tangled with the SRF (Ron apologized to the SRF driver). With me and Steve out the win was there for the taking.....but Jeff McC drove a clean race and snatched it from Team Pirate.

Marlboro Mafia
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately the front camera didn't work, but here's a rear window view frorm the #88 SM, starting about mid pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH7T-w72RNA

I have raced CCPs for three years now, but Saturday was the first time I ever watched one. The starts are always insane, but so can be the ECR starts. Usually, it's the mix of cars that causes the weirdness until the field settles in after a few laps.

That being said, the Saturday start was ridiculous. Wa-a-a-a-ay too early to wave the green flag.

Parrish57
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
That being said, the Saturday start was ridiculous. Wa-a-a-a-ay too early to wave the green flag.

WoW!! That video is scary! There was much more drama than I thought.

I was on the front row and I was even caught off guard by the early flag! Especially after I asked the question in the drivers meeting about possibly starting on the backstrech and getting the response that we would start on the front and get a late start.

What we have here is a failure to communicate....

pballance
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks for posting the SRF clip Steve. That is almost as fun as watching those pesky MEE-otters. :)

Your car sure sounds good. Check your pm's. I am about to send you one as soon as I finish this.

Never mind, it says you have chosen not to have pm's shoot me an email to my user name (same as on here) at symbol mchsi dot com.

I think it is jsut a quirk with the forum right now.

Thanks

Ron Earp
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, I don't have any race video because when I hit that SRF (my fault) I shot off into the "beach" outside of turn four and quickly shut my car down. So, the file didn't save.

Here is my qualifying session though where I got to follow a rabbit around!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRBjZYCB0U

260Z Qualifying for Carolina Cup Feb 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRBjZYCB0U)

Ron

JeffYoung
02-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Does not appear to be a spun bearing.....so maybe we make the VIR race.....

Motor makes pressure with a drill turning the oil pump. Looks like I just lost prime. However, we have teh motor apart, might just take it out and put new bearings and rings in anyway.

Parrish57
02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Does not appear to be a spun bearing.....so maybe we make the VIR race.....

Motor makes pressure with a drill turning the oil pump. Looks like I just lost prime. However, we have teh motor apart, might just take it out and put new bearings and rings in anyway.

If you have it that far apart it would be cheap insurance. That's really wierd that it losses prime.

I'm going outside right now to finish taking the motor/tranny out of mine. Everything is going to have to be perfect for me to get it together in time for VIR. I need parts!

Team SSR
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Similar thrash here. ...engine is out and apart, new parts are on the way, the cylinder head is at the shop, the car is undergoing a 'degreasing' from all the oil and the best re-useable parts are getting ready to go together.

Now if the Pony cars would just get approved for ITR so I could build an entire car for the price of building one of these Porsche engines...

JeffYoung
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
My motor has good compression (136-140 across all cylinders), no metal in the filter and makes oil pressure. We are going to take a chance and not touch the bottom end. We'll see.

JeffYoung
02-24-2008, 10:16 AM
260z -- we took off the right front fender, spoiler and headlight bucket. Should have no problem putting the new fender and accoutrements back on next weekend, car should be ready to go for the SARRC and may run the CCPS.

TR8 -- Before taking the motor down to the block, we were able to get oil pressure with a drill on the pump. Compression check was great -- 135-140 across all cylinders. No metal in oil filter.

But get this -- when we took the heads off, we found that I had two broken valve retainers. My engine builder said that if I hadn't had the oil pressure problem, I was about to have valves meet pistons and have much bigger problems. So, in a way, the oil pressure problem was a good thing. The race diety moves in mysterious ways.....

Bottom line is TR8 should make SARRC at VIR also.

Who else is going? Steve/Anthony? Any updates on repairs?

Ron Earp
02-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Here are a couple pics of work in progress.....

http://www.gt40s.com/images/Z/work1.jpg

http://www.gt40s.com/images/Z/work2.jpg

Parrish57
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
So, in a way, the oil pressure problem was a good thing. The race diety moves in mysterious ways.....

Who else is going? Steve/Anthony? Any updates on repairs?

The race Diety, praise be unto him, was kind to me and my right foot as well. Recall that I thought it was the transmission that broke. After taking the motor/tranny out and separating them, I found a much more ugly scene. The center of the clutch disc was broken out. That was a very good thing because behind it I found that one of the flywheel bolts had backed out. With nowhere to go, it acted as a lathe and started shearing off the other bolts. Long story short, if the clutch hadn't busted when it did the flywheel might have departed the crankshaft at 7,000 RPM.

Assessment:
Clutch- obviously done.
Flywheel- done, due to elongated holes.
Crankshaft- done, for the same reason.
Tranny- maybe salvagable, we'll see.
Right foot- still attached.

As for VIR? I'll try. I have a spare transmission. I can get the clutch. I just don't know if I can rebuild the motor in time.

Do you guys know anybody that runs a transmission blanket/scattershield?

JeffYoung
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Holy hay-soos Batman!

You could have gotten hurt. Ron had a similarish failure on the Jensen last year; we both talked about getting scattershields and honestly should have. Other than a heart attack, that is probably the easiest way to get hurt in an IT car. Flywheel failure of some sort.

If you get one made, let me know. I'm definitely doing it this summer.

Hope you make VIR.....

Ron Earp
02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Do you guys know anybody that runs a transmission blanket/scattershield?

Bad news Steve, I'm glad you are okay. That could have disastrous results.

Funny you mention that as Jeff says....

My car was built in Atlanta originally. We have always wondered about the odd gas pedal. It is made from like 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum, is overly large, and has a "wall" bent up on the right hand side of the pedal that come up to your ankle almost. Finally after talking to some people it dawned on me what it is - the pedal is to be protection from things that fly through the transmission tunnel.

Upon further inspection when we first pulled the motor out in 2007 I found that a kevlar blanket is riveted, with a nicely shaped steel frame to hold it, to the inside of the transmission tunnel on the driver's side. I thought it was a heat shield, but the header was wrapped and this is not heat shielding, but "scatter sheilding".

After the JH incident I'd run one if I didn't have this stuff in the Z now.

Get that motor knocked out. If you need something that we might have let me know.

Team SSR
02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
We got the new engine shortblocked this weekend. We should have the engine back in the car this weekend and be able to set it up again. We plan to run the VIR CCPS and the ECR (with a co-driver) and we should have another driver in the car for the SARRC.