PDA

View Full Version : Neon Clutches - Conv. vs Mod.

splats
11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Which style of clutch are the rest of you Neon's using?

My new Neon ('95) pulled the bottom out of #3's piston on my first practice day.
So, I replaced the motor. While I was at it, I replaced the clutch with a NEW (not reman) NAPA clutch kit(conv-style). I made 2 slow laps & the disc lining exploded. I replaced it with an AutoZone Kit at the track (only one I could find near Sebring). I toasted that one during my 2nd race (I think the cable/adjuster is coming apart). One of the parts guys at the local Dodge dealership said that the clutchs are bullet-proof (not mine) & thats why they don't stock them. The car's original clutch had over 120k on it & looked in very good shape (no trans problems). Sorry for story, but it should keep the diagnostics down.

I've been told that the Mod-clutch is much better. Mopar makes an up-dated/heavy-duty mod-clutch for the Turbo PT-Cruiser that is a direct replacement in the Neons.

What are y'alls opinions?

Darryl Pritchett
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Mark,

First how are the struts doing?

I run the Fidanza clutch in mine, it was priced about the same as the PT clutch and it works great.

Darryl

splats
11-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Darryl,
The struts worked great. :023: I've got 600's on the rear & 400's on the front. I've still got some fine tuning. If you've still got my number, give me a call tomorrow on my cell. Or I can send you an e-mail. I've got some questions 'bout the Fidanza. Also. where have you been? There were 4 of us at the Turkey Trot. :eclipsee_steering: :eclipsee_steering: :eclipsee_steering: :eclipsee_steering:

Darryl Pritchett
11-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Well I found the wall at the SAARC runoffs coming onto the straight away. Tore it up on the right side but I am hoping to have it back on track in January, maybe Sebring.

Speed Raycer
11-27-2007, 09:39 PM
I know zilch about Neon clutches, but something seems amiss. 2 clutches in one weekend sounds like something is either out of align or worn out... Flywheel warped? Throwout bearing shot?

m glassburner
11-28-2007, 05:25 AM
It's an unfortunate bad habit of the neon :blink:

joeg
11-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Scott is correct...something is amiss (although you can never rule out abuse like exhuberant downshifting without rev match as well as extreme power shifting)

splats
11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Nothing is amiss, thats why I put in the long explaination. The first clutch way JUST DEFECTIVE, the painted 'PASS' is still visible on the broken lining. The second clutch was fine until the pedal got HARD to push twice (then the pedal was fine). Then it started to slip under power. When I got the car back to the pits, the cable was tight (not releasing fully,,i.e. self-adjuster). TWO DIFFERENT PROBLEMS that just occured during the same weekend. Now back to the original question,,,

Which is better Conv. or Mod.?????

wcmcarlos
11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Mark,
You talked to Nigel, he told you straight.
He called me after he talked to you, He has used and ABUSED Neon modular clutches, with no problems.
Check the forums on Neon.org
The guys on there say the PT clutch is good to 180 HP.
The book by Mike Ancas and Mike Carpenter says the PT .
Nice meeting you at Sebring, hope you get this all sorted out.
BTW these was a fifth Neon there, a coupe that disapeared Sat. nite.
See Ya soon,
Carlos

splats
11-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Carlos, same here...........And let your wife drive HER car :eclipsee_steering:

I trust what Nigel was telling me. I know that he abuses his, but street-abuse & track-abuse are different. I was just trying to see IF anyone was having the same kind results. I wanted to be sure before I made any investment into another clutch. With Christmas coming up, it will be after New Year before I buy anything.

BTW, Will you be at the CFR Annual meeting next week-end? (I'll be working it)

Greg Krom
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Carlos, same here...........And let your wife drive HER car :eclipsee_steering:

I trust what Nigel was telling me. I know that he abuses his, but street-abuse & track-abuse are different. I was just trying to see IF anyone was having the same kind results. I wanted to be sure before I made any investment into another clutch. With Christmas coming up, it will be after New Year before I buy anything.

BTW, Will you be at the CFR Annual meeting next week-end? (I'll be working it)
[/b]

I have been using the modular clutch in my 95 Neon since '98 with great results. The first, stock Neon modular clutch lasted through 9 seasons of SSC and Spec Neon racing before needing replacement last spring. I upgraded to the PT clutch last year with continuing success.

Rando
12-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Still using stock clutch in my '98 that has about 5 race seasons on it and about 25,000 miles, some street, rest race. Of course, that's SSC and I'll be running ITA in '08 so maybe I need to beef up the clutch.

splats
12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys... I'm going to go with the H.D. PT clutch. I haven't found anything wrong with it & my price on it is under $300.

I'm also going to replace EVERY moving part associated with the clutch.

GregM
12-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I had some clutch issue's recently. I never had a problem until late last year. We found out what the problem was when Marren built me a new trans w LSD. The old bellhousing had an elongated hole. This caused just enough of a clutch miss alignment that I blew two clutches in a row. Ouch. I got him a junkyard case and we did a swap. Not a problem since.

Other than that I use the modular unit without any problems.