PDA

View Full Version : New SFI fire system requirement?

RSTPerformance
11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Whats the delio??? I have seen different things posted but thought it also was deserving of its own thread for clarifications. I don't like the SFI spec part, but at least as of now it isn't effecting IT as you don't have to have a system at all. It also is using a grandfathering approach which I think is at least somewhat reasonable.

9.3.22. FIRE SYSTEM
All cars shall be equipped with an On-Board Fire System except Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring.

A. On-Board Fire System Requirements

Cars registered after 1/1/09 shall comply with the following on-board fire system requirements:
• Systems certified to SFI specification 17.1
• Those listed by the FIA on Technical List No. 16

The following information must be visible of the unit:
• Certification label
• Capacity
• Type of extinguishing agent
• Weight, or volume, of the extinguishing agent

The following is acceptable for cars registered before 1/1/09:
On-board fire systems shall use Halon 1301 or 1211, with a five pound minimum capacity (by weight). lternatively, on-board fire systems may use AFFF or equivalent surfactant foam material, 2.25 liter minimum capacity (by volume). All AFFF fire system bottles shall incorporate a functional pressure gauge and shall be marked with the manufacturer’s recommended “filled weight.” CO2 cartridge propellant fire extinguishing systems are permitted provided that the seal of the manufacturer specified CO2 cartridge is not punctured and the fire bottle is equal to the weight specified by the system manufacturer.

Cars shall meet the following regardless of registration date:

1. The fire system cylinder shall be securely mounted in such a manner that it can be checked during a technical inspection
and may be removed for weighing periodically for compliance to full weight shown on the cylinder. (Weight is without valve assembly.)

2. Manual or automatic release is allowed. The release mechanism shall be within reach of the driver when belted in the car.

3. All on-board fire systems shall be identified with a circle “E” decal.
a. In GT and Production cars, two circle “E” decals may be required – one at the release location and the second on the outside bodywork in line with or as near to the release location as possible.
b. In Formula and Sports Racing cars, a circle “E” decal shall be located on the outside bodywork as near to the release location as possible.

4. There shall be a minimum of two nozzle locations – one in the driver’s compartment and one in either the engine area or the fuel cell area. The nozzles shall be suitable for the type of extinguishing agent used.

5. All AFFF fire system bottles shall incorporate a functional pressure gauge. This does not apply to non-pressurized AFFF systems with CO2 propellant.

6. The firing safety pin(s) shall be removed from all on-board fire systems prior to going on track. It is recommended that a warning tag be attached to the safety pin to remind the driver to remove the safety pin before entering the racing surface.

7. All fire systems shall be serviced according to manufacturer’s
specifications.

B. Hand-Held Fire Extinguisher Requirements

The following are acceptable for Showroom Stock, Touring and Improved Touring cars:

1. Halon 1301 or 1211, two (2) pound minimum capacity by weight.

2. Dry chemical, two (2) pound minimum with a positive indicator showing charge. Chemical: 10 BC Underwriters Laboratory rating, potassium bicarbonate (Purple K) recommended, 1A10BC Underwriters Laboratory rating multipurpose, ammonium phosphate and barium sulfate or Monnex.

3. The fire extinguisher shall be securely mounted in the cockpit. All mounting brackets shall be metal and of the quick-release type.[/b]

Raymond "We are not production cars yet" Blethen

spnkzss
11-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I wondered if anyone was going to bring that up. I thought I misread it, but apparently I didn't.

It's only a matter of time before safety equipment out-cost the car. Think basics now, then eventually:
Fire SYSTEM
H&N
Right side Net

hmmm......

All I can think of is that old bumper sticker that says "Remember when sex was safe and racing was dangerous?"

:)

Knestis
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
At one level - as a guy who already has all that safety stuff - I don't see that as a problem. On the other hand, creeping SFI-ification of every piece of safety equipment continues to chaff my backside.

K

spnkzss
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing all of that in the new car except for fire system, but that is hard on someone jsut getting in. I actually planon doing a full fire system in teh next couple years anyways.

jjjanos
11-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Don't get me wrong, I plan on doing all of that in the new car except for fire system, but that is hard on someone jsut getting in. I actually planon doing a full fire system in teh next couple years anyways.
[/b]

Just my opinion but I think personal safety-wise, a head-neck system should come WAY before a fire system. When's the last time you saw a car burn? When's the last time you saw a car hit something hard?

spnkzss
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Just my opinion but I think personal safety-wise, a head-neck system should come WAY before a fire system. When's the last time you saw a car burn? When's the last time you saw a car hit something hard?
[/b]

Already own me an ISAAC ;)

I think you may be talking about the thread, but you did quote mine so.... LOL

jjjanos
11-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Nope. Just offering unsolicited advice on behalf of your little daughter.... :P

spnkzss
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Nope. Just offering unsolicited advice on behalf of your little daughter.... :P
[/b]

It's funny. I found out in Nov '06 we were having a kid and by July I think I had teh ISAAC. This whoel new self preservation concept is foreign to me. :lol:

Z3_GoCar
11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
[/b]

I had both before I entered the track with my race car. BMW club required the fire system for Mod, and at $300 it was much less expensive than the SFI certified R-3 that I also purchased. All told it took just over $2.5k in safety equiptment to get on the track. Still I'm glad it was there and working.

James

keycom
12-04-2007, 06:29 PM
So what is the best product to use as a fire suppressant in regards to damaging the vehicle (or yourself)?

I take it that AFFF is not acceptable for bottles, only fire systems?

shwah
12-04-2007, 07:00 PM
It's funny. I found out in Nov '06 we were having a kid and by July I think I had teh ISAAC. This whoel new self preservation concept is foreign to me. :lol:
[/b]
Hear hear. When we were expecting our first, I added a new welded cage, ISAAC and fire system to my car. :eclipsee_steering: